1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Series Seventy-Five Sedan 'Downunder'
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Series Seventy-Five Sedan 'Downunder' in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; G'day from Australia... 5 months ago I became the proud owner of a 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Series Seventy-Five Sedan. It ...
    Dingo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan

1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Series Seventy-Five Sedan 'Downunder'

G'day from Australia...
    5 months ago I became the proud owner of a 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Series Seventy-Five Sedan. It took me 3 months of searching but finally found an original Californian car on Craigslist. The story goes...first owner was a funeral home in San Francisco, who used it until 1979 and then parked it up in a warehouse. It remained there until the middle of 2011 and was sold locally to whom I'm going to say, one of the most honest men I've ever dealt with. Before I even made an offer on the car, he emailed me a full comprehensive list of everything wrong with the car. Every scratch, dent, tear, broken parts...he left no details out! Most of the problems were electrical from the it sitting for so long. He took photos of every angle for me, so I trusted him and bought the car. It took months for it to get shipped to Australia but I wasn't disappointed when it finally arrived.
    When my Caddy was unpacked and was so clean it didn't need any extra quarantine cleaning, saving me hundreds of dollars. They had drained the entire fuel system for shipping so I put 5 gallons of fuel into it and it started first try. It's only an hour drive home but the 5 gallons wasn't enough...I ran out of fuel only 30 miles into the trip! I couldn't believe how thirsty these big cars are but I only bought it as a weekend cruiser. The engine hadn't been touched since the 70's apart from a brand new 600 Edelbrock carby the second owner had installed. Here's a list of things I've done to improve fuel economy and performance...
    The fuel line was leaking badly and would have eventually caught fire...
    New spark plugs, old ones were pure black...
    New 8mm leads. One of the leads wasn't plugged into the distributer all the way and 1 lead was completely off the spark plug...
    New points, as the old ones were burnt out...
    The only way his mechanic got the new carby to work, was to unplug the vacuum lines. I plugged them in and had the car dyno tuned.
    Now I only use 4 gallons of gas every 62 miles, and using all 8 cylinders...it's awesome!
    Another big problem I had to deal with was the ride height. The springs had been cut and was slammed less than 2 inches off the ground. It looked mean but completely un-drivable on Australian roads. Our minimum legal height is still really low and my street has speed humps so I raised it to a very factory looking 6 inches. I love the slammed look much better but at least now I can drive it anywhere!
    I've fixed just about every problem from the list I got from the last owner and only have 1 final job to do to obtain my registration...replace my blown heater core. Even though I'm a newbie posting here, I've been scouring this forum for weeks looking for all the info on how to do it. Sounds like a HUGE job so wish me luck!
    I'll post a few pics with both sets of wheels it came with and I'll try and keep the updates coming...
    Cheers Dingo

Fleet, Fleet, 70eldo and 8 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Series Seventy-Five Sedan 'Downunder'

Welcome to the forum, dingo. You have caught a good clean one. Congrats for your ride!! these cars use to be well cared; in the worst case they have not many miles so they don´t use to suffer important wear. It must be funny driving such a huge car in a place where people (and streets) are not used to such a size, like your last pic shows I love 67s and 75s are impressive rolling fortresses perfectly assembled as they were totally factory built (not like nowadays limos). I had the opportunity of buying a '69 75 series but I had no place to store it For sure people will look at it astonished. Lowrider look is impressive but in the day to day experience has more cons than pros, IMO.

Keep up the good work. We´re looking forward to know how this caddy is restored to perfection

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

That is such an awesome Cadillac, words fail me....

Beautiful pics too! Very glad you found the forum, you will have a lot of fun here. I come here mainly to visit with like minded Cadillac addicts, but learn something everyday in the process. Hint...when you are reading through old posts, bookmark what you think you may want someday, search can be hinkie sometimes. My Cadillac file keeps growing!

Can't wait to see more photos of that gorgeous car, interior please? Never enough photos for us here, don't worry about boring us, just like babies, we love shiny things!

I don't see any other Cadillacs in my town so it literally stops people dead in their tracks when I drive around. Driving a left hand drive can be a little tricky as overtaking on single lane highways is near impossible unless I have a passenger. That just adds more fun to this car! It will never get a right hand drive conversion. The interior is near perfect with only a few things I need to fix. The biggest problem in there is the speedo cluster is completely rusted out as the heating/cooling system must give out a lot of condensation. Up under the dash and around the separate heating/cooling system in the trunk, is all surface rust...just another thing on my list.

Your caddy interior is in a great shape It must have been well stored during the years it was sat. I´ve heard '67 clusters tend to rust; maybe air conditioning vents had some design defect. Driving a left hand car in Australia is part of the fun of this unique vehicle Enjoy it and share this pleasure with your friends

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Oh my god, the interior is even cooler than the outside!!!
    That cloth on seats, headliner, and even sun visors is so classic and perfect. And then the brocade on the jumpers...incredible! You really got a great one there.
    Well worth the princely sum it probably cost to ship!
    Enjoy and I look forward to getting to know you better.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Magnificent car! I love the stately elegance of it. Where on earth do you find the room to park it? That's the big drawback to owning one of these goliaths.

The engine bay and 429 needs a good tidy up but I love how original it all is. The odometer reading is only 62000 miles so hopefully being stored for so many years hasn't had too much effect.

^It seems incredible this engine compartment has 45 years . To leave it perfect you just need a paint touch here and there.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

I've been using USA Parts Supply and their delivery to Australia has been less than a week. The only part they are struggling with is a windshield washer rebuild kit. Mechanically the washers work fine but have troubles pumping the water. I've found others on ebay but won't they post overseas. Does anyone know of another supplier?

You may try http://www.caddydaddy.com/ Send them an e-mail describing what you need. Not the cheapest one but when you look for some difficult part sometimes they´ve got it.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Welcome!
    A fine fine example of a wonderfully majestic automobile! Just gorgeous. Sable with a Blue Duchess Cloth/Leather interior. One of the rarest combinations, as most Series 75's that year had Broadcloth or Devonshire Cloth. Your car was one of (I think but not totally sure) four Fleetwood 75's fitted with Duchess Cloth which was normally found on DeVille's. However, Cadillac, in those years, would "SPO" or "Special Production Order" nearly any interior trim a customer would want, pending approval from design staff. It was not unheard of in the funeral business, for a funeral director to have his Limousine, hearse, and flower car all fitted with the same interior trim as his personal passenger car. Hence the DeVille fabric/Leather combination. Most likely, your original owner had a DeVille in his garage upholstered the same way.

BTW, yours is a Series 75 Nine Passenger Executive Sedan. A total of 835 were built that year, making it the rarer of the two variations of Fleetwood 75, the other being the Fleetwood 75 Formal Limousine at 965 produced. Your car's base price stickered at a then jaw dropping $10,360!! A new '67 Camaro WITH options would've walked out of the showroom for about $2800, I know, I have the window sticker from my aunt's '67! In Bergen County NJ you could've bought a very nice three bedroom house for about $13k to $16k!! So adjust for inflation, and that car had an eye popping equivalent of a six figure price tag!

Again, a fine, fine example. Museum quality to me. Congratulations and enjoy!
    -Doug
    70eldo likes this.

So one of the most exclusive 1967 75s has gone to Australia... Congrats for your aquisition

Wow looks like I scored big time! I researched the 75 series before I bought it but didn't realise the rare interior option. The funeral home it originally came from is still in business today and I'll be sending an email to them once I'm finished everything to find out as much as I can about its history. I'm sure they would love to know where it has ended up and some photos with a few kangaroos hanging around haha. The climate here is very much like California, no snow, no humidity and will be always garaged. I might drive it a couple of times a month on nice days so it will always remain in this condition!
    I've sent an email to Caddy Daddy to see if they have any washer repair kits in stock...fingers crossed there! I also removed my blown heater core tonight in just over an hour. Not sure I could have done it without my trusty Cadillac shop manual !!!

A pic with 6 kangaroos inside the caddy would be really shocking ... And yes! the '67 cadillac shop manual is your best friend at the maintenance and repair of your caddy

I hope this wonderful piece of the American and World automobile industry will be preserved for loong years there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.