1971 Cadillac Deville- Cruise Control, Clock, Radio problems, help? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1971 Cadillac Deville- Cruise Control, Clock, Radio problems, help? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A misadjusted brake light switch can result in no cruise control. Should be a switch mounted to the brake pedal ...
    carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1971 Cadillac Deville- Cruise Control, Clock, Radio problems, help?

A misadjusted brake light switch can result in no cruise control. Should be a switch mounted to the brake pedal support with a vacuum hose to it. Make sure the hose is firmly attached 1st then make sure the sliding button on the switch is fully depressed by the pedal with the pedal up. When you press the pedal, the switch dumps vacuum, disengaging the cruise as well as electrically shutting it off. Most common issue is vacuum hose deterioration underhood to the servo. Have a mechanic point out the servo to you, then trace the hoses to it from their source. Any hose thats loose or split will keep the system from engaging. Are we sure that there is an antenna wire in the windshield and that its connected to the radio?

ZeldaOoT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 Cadillac Sedan Deville
    Thanks for the follow-up, I will look into that and get back with you. As for the radio, I am positive it's connected as I still get AM radio (most of the time). The FM typically produces strived signals within a similar range no matter how much you try to adjust frequency. It's like it's not "calibrated" properly there or something. Does that help at all?

Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    A misadjusted brake light switch can result in no cruise control. Should be a switch mounted to the brake pedal support with a vacuum hose to it. Make sure the hose is firmly attached 1st then make sure the sliding button on the switch is fully depressed by the pedal with the pedal up. When you press the pedal, the switch dumps vacuum, disengaging the cruise as well as electrically shutting it off. Most common issue is vacuum hose deterioration underhood to the servo. Have a mechanic point out the servo to you, then trace the hoses to it from their source. Any hose thats loose or split will keep the system from engaging. Are we sure that there is an antenna wire in the windshield and that its connected to the radio?
    For the cruise control:

I followed the servo lines to this piece that says "hold engage light" to find a frayed electrical wire. Could this be the problem? See picture.
    Thanks!

http://img707.imageshack.us/i/imageolc.jpg/

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Sounds like a good place to start.

Good evening all!

An update: I got the washer fluid pump and I am going to be taking out the clock tomorrow. I haven't touched the cruise since finding the wire. Do you think a local repair shop could cheaply fix the wire?

For the clock, do I just unscrew the two bolts on the side of the glove box that appear to be for the dash? I'm unsure if that's what those are for or not. once I get to the clock I will be good I just want to make sure I start about it correctly.

Thanks!

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Quote Originally Posted by ZeldaOoT View Post
    Thank you for the feedback that you have each offered! I will check these things out sometime this weekend and follow-up. Until then, here are some pictures as requested! If you can't open them let me know, but I think I uploaded them correctly.
    A beautiful beautiful car! Sausalito Green with matching cross grain top. white interior black trim. Just gorgeous. You should definitely make the shows with that one.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Hey all, new question.

I got the clock out and replaced it with a functioning restored one. It works great!

One issue: the lights that go into the clock are not lighting up. I replaced the bulbs and still a no go. Not too sure if I need to do something special to get those on or if there is a problem elsewhere. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Dash light fuse? Headlight switch rotated left to max dimming? First thing to do is verify there is power to that fuse with a test light. Did you check the bulb socket for voltage with a test light?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I'm assuming the rest of the dash lights come on as normal. The backlights on this car ground to the thing they're on (radio lights ground to the radio, clock lights ground to the clock. Make sure the light sockets are properly seated in their holes, and that the clock is firmly installed. Otherwise, you have a wiring problem.

You are a genius, sir. I was "testing" them out of the unit. Once I put them in and they were grounded, they lit up with the new bulbs. Thanks again! I'm another step closer to having this thing in top shape

Donmystic1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1973 ElDorado

Does anyone have a source for clock repairs and radio repairs?

I have a 1973 Eldorado Convertible.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Try clocksandgauges.com or dandmrestoration.com or clockwks.com or cadillactim.com.

For restoring the radio you might be interested in converting your radio to modern technology? You keep the same housing and it will look exactly the same, but you will have modern technology built in; digital stereo radio with line output, including subwoofer connection.
    Try garytayman.com/stereo.htm for example. It is very costly though, but if you want the original looks.

I went with RetroSound. It still looks classic, the buttons are similar and high quality and you have digital radio with bluetooth and iPod/USB connection. It builts and fits right in the original dashboard openings.

In any case when you go modern you will need to draw new wiring to your speakers though and you definately need new speakers if you still have the original 8 Ohm speakers!
    CADforce69 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.