69 Eldorado Power Steering Pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 69 Eldorado Power Steering Pump in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello fellow Cadillac lovers. This is Caddygas, new to this forum. I have a 1969 Eldorado I was wondering is ...
    CaddyGas is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

69 Eldorado Power Steering Pump

Hello fellow Cadillac lovers. This is Caddygas, new to this forum. I have a 1969 Eldorado

I was wondering is removal of the power steering pump reservoir, and installation to the new pump pretty much straight forward, or are there any precautions, special tools etc.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 69 Eldorado Power Steering Pump

You will be dealing with O rings on the pump to the cannister. Just use steering fluid to pre lubricate them. No special tools other than a pulley puller to transfer the pulley to the new pump. Once together and on the car, have the front wheels off the ground, fill the cannister, then gently turn the wheels all the way both directions, engine running, then come back to center. Shut off engine and recheck the level. do not hold the wheels all the way left or right while doing this! This purges the air and eventually the noise will quit. Make sure your cannister is not bent from a prior owner prying on it to tighten the belt! If bent, the seal might not hold.

That is what I figured, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info, I can not get enough.

Alright, I got the girl done. The pulley puller did not work, nothing for the pulley to screw into. Impact gun worked great, then a friend held the pulley as I took a rubber mallet and wacked the shaft so the pulley would slide off. Unfortunately the old reservoir was bent, got a new unit.

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Hey Caddygas,

I'm trying to rebuild my ps pump on my 70 convo. It looks like the modern pullers won't help. You mentioned something about an impact wrench. Does the nut in front of the pulley actually come off? If so how did you hold the shaft or pulley in place.

I'm lost. The shop manual calls for a tool that doesn't seem to exist anymore. Any insight would be appreciated.

Yes the nut in front of the pulley comes off. Have someone hold it while you take a impact gun too it. There is no way too use a puller. If needed when you take the nut off, smack the shaft with a rubber maker if the pulley does not slide off. Then just re install.

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Thanks for the info!

Didn't even need help. Held the pulley with one hand and the wrench did the rest. Had her apart in 30 mins.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.