1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, It looks like I'll be a Caddy owner once again! This first post will be a little story ...
    smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible

1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

Hello everyone,

It looks like I'll be a Caddy owner once again! This first post will be a little story and overall condition so for those interested please enjoy. The cries for help, things I learn along the way and progress reports will be posted later.

I have been kicking the tires on some old convertibles with almost no budget for a few weeks. I wasn't looking for anything specific just something I could drive and not be upset if the car blew up and I had to pull the plates and leave her on the side of the road. I am somewhat proficient at working on old GM engines (because my first 3 cars were old caddy's 1978 CDV $275, 1973 CDV? $300, buy far my favorite car I've ever owned and a 1980 CDV $200) so that was my focus.

Not having any $$$ when I was 16 I had to learn how to fix 'em all myself. I wouldn't say I was great at it but I kept them running.

So for my initial search it was to find something I can work on mechanically and worry about body issues at the end of the summer or never. Obviously I was concerned with any major structural damage. My budget was $2000 total. I guess because of gas prices or the popularity of small blocks Caddys kept popping up. I had no doubt that I would find something but I wasn't expecting much.

Here is a link to one of the cars I was infatuated with and the great support and feedback from members here.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...questions.html

What a sh@tbox!! but she had me thinking.

I live in RI and I'm not afraid to take a ride so I've been chasing CL cars all over New England until last week I caught a neighbor and told him of my search. He asked me to follow him 2 houses down and there she was. An old school Boss Hogg caddy. It's not white on white like his its white with black interior. Long story less long I know the car. I've been in it as a kid.

Overall Condition

It is by far the best overall condition of any vehicle I've looked at. Its been in a garage and not started for 12-15 years. The garage has been recently razed so she's been outside since January ish. She ran well before she was parked. He said the tranny was slipping before it was parked but they added some atf and it seemed to stop.

I haven't bought her yet. Meeting the owner Sat but he gave me the green light to tinker around. Even though he's a family friend he's not the easiest cat to wheel and deal with. That being said I'm 99% sure I'm gonna grab her.

I'm gonna add individual posts going forward to give anyone that wants to a chance to respond. Pics coming soon. I actually haven't taken any yet because I have been prepping her properly for a start. Oh AND I CAN"T WAIT TO START HER!!!!!

Cheers,
    Jared

----------

Overall Interior and Exterior

Exterior-
    looks great for a car that probably wasn't covered at all. I little surface rust here and there but no serious decay. Most of the srface rust is on creases or angles in the metal. All trim and chrome is there and looks good. The top will need attention. It appears to be in decent shape but the rear glass is separated from the canvas at the bottom. Because it has been outside there is water in the well where the top goes. That scared me but it seems the vinyl in there is in tact and not leaking. Inspections from all angles reveal good clean metal and no water trails anywhere. Because of the water there is mold but I plan on going to town on the interior anyway. The frame looks great. The undercarriage looks cleaner than my 06 GP. Metal fuel ond brake lines look good. Trunk has some surface rust here and there but I would say 80% is still paint.

Interior-
    All trim is intact, dash looks good, leather will look spectacular with a little love, carpet is ok, headliner has some mold spots from condensation but I'm not afraid of putting the work in to remove it. There have been some squatters probably mice or squirrels that have removed insulation here and there. It doesn't appear they have damaged any wires or harnesses or anything like that, just mad a mess. The bad thing about the interior It doesn't seem like a lot of things work. When I hooked up the battery the blower fan comes on and a few engine warning lights but no power windows or seats, no radio and I haven't attempted to move the top yet. I know these cars have bad switches and I didn't want to risk it w/o it running and having proper voltage. If it's anything like my 78 I'm not afraid of electrical work. That car had a broken wire pop up every other day it seemed so I'm ok with rewiring. I'll probably have to track down some window switches, at least the master cause they were,t moving to well. Keeping my fingers crossed on motors but everything I've read says they are pretty durable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

Congrats on your barn find! Keep us posted on how things work out!

So I prepped her for a start a few days ago. Took the plugs out and added a few drops of mystery oil. Hit the plugs and points with sandpaper. Gave the carb a big dose of cleaner. Lubricated some things here and there.

Went back there today hooked up a battery and she turned over easily. Put the plugs back in and filled the bowl with fresh gas turned her over and no love. Checked for spark and wasn't getting any. Grabbed a new coil and condenser threw that in and still no spark. I'm getting 11.6v at the coil on my multimeter. I heard it can be an ignition switch. Any ideas? Any way to test?

I went to the library and they didn't have anything useful. I already bought a shop manual but I wont be here til Saturday. I'm scared as hell to buy a car I haven't heard run. My little voices are telling me it will be ok.

I guess you could check the ignition wires from under the dash to see if there's any current.

Well here are some pics. Just had her dropped off. She's all mine!!!!!

As far as ignition. I'm getting 12v on coil on run but don't think I'm getting anything while cranking. I'm suspicious of ignition switch. I'll start to work my way through the system when it stops raining. Battery to starter to ignition switch. I saw that the wire from the ignition switch is a resistor wire. Is there a simple resistor somewhere that the wire hooks up to or is the wire itself a resistor. Can't seem to figure that out reading and looking at diagrams.
    Attached Images

Congrats! Looks like she'll make a great summer cruiser.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Beautiful!!! My favorite color!

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Put new points in it. Sometimes the old ones can't be saved. Also, did you check your gap after sanding them?

Nice looking car. A lot better than that banged up Eldorado you were looking at.

Thanks. Yeah a million times better than that Eldorado.

I regapped the points old school with a match book. Didnt have my feeler. I have all new points, cap, plugs, wires etc. haven't put me in yet. That won't help me at this point though. Not getting spark from coil to distributor. I'm going to start going through the system tonight.

Probably a broken or corroded wire somewhere. Look closely.

So I've been doing the primary ignition circuit test as described in the shop manual. The first test which has me testing between the trans downshift switch wire and battery with ignition switch on is giving me proper readings of les than .4v

When I test the second step which is from coil to distributor I am supposed to get less than .1v. I am getting .35v then the manual says the following.

If reading exceeds the spec max then isolate the point of this resistance by placing test leads across each connection and wire in order. The reading across each connection should be proportional to its length as compared to the length and allowable voltage drop of entire circuit.

?!???!?!

That is Chinese to me.

----------

Disregard my last post that was some idiot over thinking things.

How a bout you put in all the stupid stuff first like cap, rotor, points cause guess what you change that and she fires right up after 15 years.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

So the positive is she's running. The negative is there is a leak @ the exhaust manifold where the gasket should be. From what I'm reading this is always a nightmare.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Is it the manifold itself or the gasket?

Hmm idk. I assume it's the gasket. It is sealed at 7 of 8 cyl. From what I can see. The #8 cyl (last one on pass side) is the only one that has a large gap where I would think a gasket should be.

Shouldn't be too difficult if it's just the gasket. If it's the manifold, that's all sorts of unwanted fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.