1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Sounds like all the big stuff is taken care of. Everything else is a "rolling restoration". Happy cruising to you ...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

Sounds like all the big stuff is taken care of. Everything else is a "rolling restoration". Happy cruising to you and Miss Daisy!

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Bad tires can make it seem like a loose front end. Go for new shoes and see what happens. My 75 hearse was terrible at anything over 30 mph (then again, she probably never went faster than that when new either) until I put new tires on her. Oddly, the tires on the '75 were ORIGINAL (it only had about 15k miles on it when I bought it) but new ones made a world of difference.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

I just read all of the posts here-what a great job you have done! It takes lots of time and patience to bring one of these beasts back to their former glory, as you now know. Now that you have sorted out the mechanical demons, what are your long term plans?

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Thanks Mark, long term plans are undefined at this time. I'd like to hang on to her for a weekend cruiser. We'll see if I can afford her! So far I'm on budget but who knows whats down the road.

Well excitement is quickly turning into extreme frustration! 1st day I got her running we did several miles on side roads max speed of 30mph. Sunday we went about a mile and she started stalling when I gave her gas. I noticed my brakes got stiff too. Checked under the hood and the vac check valve at the brake booster was broken. No biggie right? Replaced that and she does the same thing.

I'm trying to tune the carb because that's #1 on the check list. So I am following the manual first step set low idle speed. While in gear it's about 460rpm says set it to 630 and it should be 600 at idle in P. Well it's at 6 in P but I wanted to adjust the setting in gear of course I do not have a gm tool J-90868532(8468894)8$68639;4$6;8;,)&$(; or whatever stupid thing I need and I can't seem to turn it reliably with a screwdriver, ratchet or any other normal tool. I'd like to hire a mechanic to check her out but I have a lot of other things I need to spend $$$ on.

Why can I go a mile with no problems then all of a sudden she farts out? Ever time I take her out she's been idling for a while and up to temp cause I'm always adjusting something. Why do they put an adjustment screw where I can't turn it?

For the first time patience is wearing thin! Feels like I'm missing a summer for a car that I'll never get to drive.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggg ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

When I picked up my used 82 SDV it ran fine on test drive. First time Out on open road kept slowing and stalling sit ten minutes fire right up. drive all day low speed easy throttle. Gun it it died. That turned out to be one of the fuel filters. (multiple on it I guess) I don't know if any of this applies because totally different cars, but that was the first thing that came to mind reading your post?
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

Thanks Dave, that crossed my mind too. But the screen in the carb is brand new and I replaced the fuel filter already too. I will probably change again because it's only a few $$$. I've added about 12 gallons of new prem gas to about 1 gal of old gas and some dry gas too. I think I've burned about 3 gallons since she started. Could a new fuel filter get toasted that quick?

I suppose it would depend on what the tank looked like? Was the new prem ethanol free, it usually is up here, but from what I've read here that is not always the case. That would clean out A bunch of junk if it was bad in there.

Is there only the one filter? On that 82 it ended up being one inside the tank IIRC.
    Hopefully after a good nights sleep someone who really knows will have joined in. CadForce has a big time difference so to us it seems he "strikes at night"!

...hmmm...then again...He and Rex could be a Super Hero team...?...

edit; I just thought of something else. If the tank was that empty up here for that long there would be a lot of rust in it. I don't know about over your way but as I recall from my trips there humidity was...um...on the high side. Could have been the movement of driving knocked some scale(rust) off the sides of the tank? There may even be a screen in the tank to protect the fuel pump?

I'm pretty sure there are only 2 filters in the 70. Paper at fuel pump outlet and screen at carb inlet. And yup we have ethanol here in RI. Up to 10% think it applies to all grades.

Ok so after letting my anger wind down and doing some reading I'm hoping Dave is on the right track.

I'm gonna put in a new fuel filter and buy some new rubber tubing. There are a few splices here and there. I'm sure the rubber is 20+ yrs old. I've been reading that the tubing can also cause problems. Id like to get her back to all steel someday. Kinda makes sense. Took her for her first spin, shook up a bunch of sh@t and a few days later she's starving for fuel.

I know I still gotta play w the carb too. Obviously right? I've only mentioned it in my last 10 posts. Idk the proper term, lean or rich but sometimes she makes my eyes burn when I'm standing behind her.

A few other notes.

F&ck valve cover gaskets! When I was putting her back together I grabbed cork, that's what she originally had so.......smooshed those. Did em again w rubber rs is fine after a little tweaking ls keeps leaking and finally is mangled. Removed and cleaned covers again this time a big thick bead of black silicone and no more leaks for now.

Weird thing happened tonight. I've been having an issue w the front left blinker. I could only find the bulb I needed in clear not amber. Didn't think that mattered really. So put clear one in. Lit but didn't blink. Found same bulb but amber put that one in blinking away. A few hrs later I turn the head lights on and the left turn signal marker light stays lit on dash but blinker not on. I turn it on and it blinks real slow. Turn right one on blinks real fast. As long as they blink I'll take it for now.

Oh as I'm re reading my last paragraph a blinker is what we call a directional in RI. I guess that's not accurate in other places.

Found some nice used tires and slapped those bad boys on. Seems a lot better but only made it a mile or so. I'll let ya know. I haven't been around an old school front end in a while but when I originally gave her the tug and shake on the front end I thought she felt solid. After a few short rides I did it again when I was putting tires on.....man seems like a lot of play. Let me get through the fuel/carb situation and I'll start reaching out about front end.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

And here you thought the body work was going to be the hard part!

All this sort of stuff is, unfortunately, normal when you wake Sleeping Beauty after 20 years slumber. You probably should drop the fuel tank and have it boiled out and sealed. Also, clean the sock that protects the sending unit. It can get jammed with debris with can starve the car for fuel. You'll want to flush the fuel lines (or better yet, replace them). Check the fuel filter to see if it's gunked up.

As far as the blinkers go, check all the bulbs, front and rear. If any of them are burned out, it can cause the symptoms you're experiencing. Also, check your turn signal and hazard flashers. If that fails, you'll need to check the continuity of the lines, and also check the headlight switch.

The front end it bound to loosen up with driving, as the movement frees everything up. Then you'll really know what needs replacement.

I'm really sorry you're running into all these roadblocks, but best to get them out of the way up front. Remember, there's always next summer!

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Iīm sorry you are still having these problems. I agree with dave and 77CDV; probably gas tank has scale/rust floating on the gasoline that may be clogging the line. Inspect the fuel filter; if the problem is serious, filter could have debris again (or even line from tank to pump). This kind of problems is even more marked when tank is almost empty as the sending unit is sometimes at the edge of the gas level (not submerged) due to the car movement -Debris floats on gas-. New fuel hose would discard some problem coming from the old one. If after inspecting fuel filter you see itīs dirty again after a few miles of driving, you should consider a deep tank treatment, as mentioned by Craig. If you have not enough money to take it to a shop, there are some treatments you can buy for tank with rust and leak problems. In 2 steps, it cleans it and forms a film on the wall inside so no more rust particles will go into fuel line.

As said above, check all blinkers; maybe some of them is burnt out. If not, it could be the flasher: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1324293

As for front end, when these cars have a number of miles on them use to have loose tie rod ends and drag link, as mine had with 46K miles, so steering was very loose. After changing that and with new tires, steering goes like a dream.

Good luck!. We await news

Thanks for the sympathy guys haha. I knew what I was getting myself into. Surprised it took me that long to have one of those days.

Anyway holy sludge batman! Fuel filter was a mess. Clay like substance. Rust I presume. Looks like a good ole tank cleaning is in my future.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

So when I got her there wasn't any fuel in her. When I started working on her I was adding only a few gallons at a time via gas can. Once I finally got her started last last week I went to put another 10 gallons in then my fuel problem started.

Today I had her up to rip out old exhaust muffler back. While she was up I changed that cruddy fuel filter and blew out line with some air. Put a new filter in and ran her for a bit and took her for a 15min ride. I took out the filter to check it out. It looked fine. Just took her for a 40 min cruise around town and checked it out again. Still looks fine and no hesitation. So I'm guessing it was so low on fuel it was picking up all the sludge. So the good news is I won't have time to drop the tank until next week but I can get around a little if I keep enough gas in her.

The blinker problem solved itself. She handled really well. I'll still go through the front end though. I do have some gear oil leaking from the pinion seal. I'm gonna cruise a little more and see if the seal will well, re seal itself. Gotta throw the upper and lower dash back on and do some finishing touches on the interior. Giver her a good bath and take some presentable pics.

I keep smelling coolant but can't find a leak and it doesn't seem to be losing volume.

How difficult is it to add a temp and oil pressure gauge on these ladies? Just like to see a gauge instead of a light to pre empt any developing issues.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

Good news. Depending on how hard and how expensive fuel filters are, and how hard to pull tank, might want to just leave it for now? You may have the worst of it out.
    Can't wait to see the new pictures.
    Definitely put in gauges, after reading other convertible thread!

Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Hey Smelvis, I just picked up a 70 coupe and seems we'll be having similar issues with our projects...hopefully we can suffer together. Ha
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.