1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Glad to hear your almost done with meds and getting some sleep. On another note. Trying to get this floor ...
    smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Glad to hear your almost done with meds and getting some sleep.

On another note. Trying to get this floor finished so I can start putting the interior back in while I wait for the right carb and valve stem seals.

Here's the ds pan so far. Took a self taught crash course on mig welding this afternoon. It ain't pretty but it's solid so far.
    Attached Images

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

Damn, you're hired, how soon can you make it to Wisconsin!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

It'll be covered with carpet. Who cares if it's pretty? As long as it doesn't turn into the Flintstonemobile, I call it success!
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Thanks. Have been on a long drug therapy that will be 11 month total, ends in mid aug.
    Iīm glad that youīll end your therapy soon and that youīll be much better by then
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Here's the ds pan so far. Took a self taught crash course on mig welding this afternoon. It ain't pretty but it's solid so far.
    Congrats, man! Thatīs right the point: A solid fix. Who cares about the look? When carpet is on the floor youīll never see it again. Nevertheless, itīs much better than I would have done.

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Trying to get this floor finished so I can start putting the interior back in while I wait for the right carb and valve stem seals.
    That is just another example of something I wanted to learn how to do when I was in my twenties and just never had the nerve to buy equipment and try it.
    In my thirties I started buying old homes and working on them and in that I got my confidence and took major chances. I never got back to working on cars, until recently.

What I learned by being too broke to pay someone else....
    Whatever is done can be redone or undone.
    Financial rewards await the bold.
    A skill learned is a skill for life.

When I was pondering doing a particular job, I would always think of the dumbest person I knew, who did what I was considering. I always thought if he can do this there is no reason I can't!

Keep being bold and taking chances and you will not only go far with your car, but also in life. You are doing great and I am always amazed at what you are accomplishing.
    77CDV, 77CDV, CADforce69 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave
    Damn, you're hired, how soon can you make it to Wisconsin!
    A ticket to Lambeau might convince me to take a road trip.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Well it looks like I have a floor again!!

I'll put a few pics up later it seems to be a pain to do from my phone. I have to take the pics, email em back to myself to adjust the file size, save em back to my phone and attach to post. That's my only gripe with this forum/app. If there's an iPhone app how come I can't just upload the pics?

Anyway gonna seal, prime, paint, etc and start putting an interior back in this car.

Engine work will begin Friday night. I was gonna change the timing chain but there is really no play in it so I might let her be.

Oh and idk bout where all u cats are from but I've been to the RI DMV 10 times to obtain "proof of ownership" back in the day for a car this old that meant a bill of sale. Now u need a title or copy of prev owners registration. I called and they say they have all the records on file and considering I knew the owner and the plates were still on the car and it has a RI inspection sticker from 92 I thought they might have those records...... After a scary ordeal they have produce a copy of the last registration. WoooHoooo! I will be able to drive her legally one day!

Thought I might have to sell her to a buddy in NH and buy her back to have sufficient paperwork. Cause NH has Reasonable laws regarding old vehicles Gotta love NH. Live free or die!
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Get photobucket mobile app. makes life easy with my android.
    Took me two and a half months to get title/plates for my car. The car was from CA and it seems if you park it you have to pay inactive vehicle fee while it is parked. The owner owed a large sum of money since the car was parked since 1986! Would not have been a problem but he had lost the title. For him to get replacement he would have to pay almost as much as I paid him for car. Had to get a five year bond to get a bonded title from WI.
    Next hurdle is Collector status, have to send photos of engine, interior, and all four sides of car. Cannot be modified from original. (I was afraid I would have to prove interior was stock!) Just took more time. Get police to check and confirm vin, etc.
    So...I can relate to registration woes!

...and Lambeau...dream on I haven't even been there for a game. People here put their kids on season ticket wait list when they are born so when they get old enough to want to buy them they will be closer to the top!

Glad to know you have your papers ready to get the car title, smelvis. Here, you need the signature of previous legal owner and all the car papers to register legally the car as yours. If the car has been registered as "inactive" normally to avoid tax payment, proceedings are more complicate and includes previous special safety inspection. If you want a "Historic Vehicle" plate you need 1 special inspection, 1 ordinary inspection, 1 report from an engineer or classic vehicle club, fees paid to Transit Department and official inspection stations, a lot of paperwork and several visits to the above mentioned... And the cost finally is $ 1000 (If you do it by yourself) to $ 1250 (If you hire an administrative agent).

If timing chain seems ok, itīs better leaving it as is and focus on what your car is asking

Holy crap Cadforce. I thought it was bad here. It's amazing to me that one state can require nothing at all and another you need congressional approval.

^You can never surpass European bureaucracy If getting a Historic Vehicle plate is a huge challenge, imagine trying to take important measures to overcome a big world crisis
    77CDV, 77CDV, talismandave and 1 others like this.

Ladies and gentlemen we have a floor.

Another coat tomorrow then reassembly.
    Attached Images

Excellent work!! Another problem solved... Soon you will be driving your caddie
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.