1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

Youīve done the right thing with timing on 7.5.

As to the bent rods it uses to happen when valves are stuck, usually by long time sitting. In this case I think the damage was done before you took the car, as you did not notice anything when you cranked the engine with no plugs. Even so, engine still worked because this power plant is rock solid and magnificently designed. I think first thing you should do is getting new rods, then spraying a good deal of WD-40 and doing what I wrote above. Then, before you start the engine, cranking the engine without plugs and see if all the rocker arms are working ok with rods in their place. If some valve remain stuck you would notice difficulty in cranking the engine or rods getting out of its place.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Wow, lots of bent rods.... BTW, that is not a "thrown rod" That would mean you had a connecting rod bearing fail, causing severe damage to the block. Looks like your problem can be fixed fairly easily. Worst case would be that you might need the heads worked.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Good news, it's repairable! At least now you know why the car was really parked.

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Well 4 very stuck valves. Been lubing em and smacking em with a mallet. Popped a spring on # 4.

Gonna order everything tonight and keep working the valves for the next few days. now I know if I ever buy a car that's been sitting so long to pull the rocker arms and check the valves.

I'm gonna read up on carb work too. I don't think I'll go full rebuild at this point but maybe a severe cleaning. I broke one of the vacuum nipples too. Hoping that's something that can be fixed.

It's refreshing to have a car that you can work on. I won't even change the oil on my 05 gp after the day I decided to change plugs and it snapped off in the block.

Keep the info coming! All I need is a little direction, my shop manual and a little hard work. Thanks!!

Btw faded I told my buddy I hade a thrown rod and he laughed his ass off when he saw the pick. He said that is not the nightmare you described.

Haha well it's a rod ain't it. Just a much better one to break!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

smelvis you are by far more than a parts fitter. You are a Cadillac repair rockstar god. I would have never had the stones to pull my engine apart like that! That is, before I saw what you are accomplishing. There are a lot of really smart people here, but your fearlessness is inspiring! Keep up the good fight.

Thanks for the kind words Dave. Gotta stay on budget so just get in there and rip it apart. I will tell you the shop manual was the best $30 I ever spent. I'm actually having fun and learning a ton along the way.

Ive got a few questions for you cats.

1. All the valves are moving but what happens if I can't get them to move as freely as the others?

2. I have to buy at least 1 stem lock and shedder (thats what It says in manual. I assume that's the valve stem seal) should I change all of the seals? There is a set by felpro on advanced auto (got a coupon) it contains all 16 or I can buy sets of 4 @ rock.

3. While I have everything out of the way should I just replace the timing chain?

4. Carb exchange has rebuilt RQJ carbs for $200. Should I go that route? I keep looking at diagrams and it scares me. So many small internal parts and the internal parts need tuning too.

I know it's always best to replace "everything" but I'd like your input as to what I should do. Almost July wanna roll her around before October.

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post

1. All the valves are moving but what happens if I can't get them to move as freely as the others?
    You have 2 options:
    a) Pull out heads and put new valves, seals... (the most advisable one)
    b) Assemble the engine and try to run it, making sure you have abundant oil on the valvetrain and see if valves get loose by use (I doubt itīs a professional advice but sometimes it works). This is only a last resource if you are really short of funds.

2. I have to buy at least 1 stem lock and shedder (thats what It says in manual. I assume that's the valve stem seal) should I change all of the seals? There is a set by felpro on advanced auto (got a coupon) it contains all 16 or I can buy sets of 4 @ rock.
    I think it would be advisable changing all the seals... though not essential. Anyway, if you change all of them, you are avoiding potential problems in the future.

3. While I have everything out of the way should I just replace the timing chain?
    You can check if the chain is getting loose. Itīs advisable for high mileage cars.

4. Carb exchange has rebuilt RQJ carbs for $200. Should I go that route? I keep looking at diagrams and it scares me. So many small internal parts and the internal parts need tuning too.
    I would be scared too for the same reason as you. Itīs a complex carb (In its time it was really a high tech clockwork). I would leave this part to professionals; if you have not enough cash yet, just wait.

Thanks cad force. I already ordered a carb, seals, rods and timing kit. Might as well just do it. I should probably do the valves too but I dread taking the head off. I would assume I'll break a good share of manifold bolts and have to have them re drilled and the heads machined and that sounds like lots of time and $$$. Plus a new y pipe and full exhaust. Right now I can get away with muffler back.

I'm not broke yet but trying to manage $$ tightly. I'm not sure what I'll run into for suspension and front end work when she finally gets rolling.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Oh and I forgot to mention the valve that the spring fell off is now stuck half open. I'll try and figure that one out.

Got 3 outta 4 stuck valves moving well. #8 took a lot of work. Didn't wanna come back up. Obviously the one that's not working is the one I popped the spring off of. I'll see if I can get the spring back on tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

At least, this is a progress... Maybe a mixture of oil and WD-40 for 1-2 days on that valve before you try again your magic touch helps.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Try using some PB Blaster on those stuck valves if you wan to keep working them... But I definitely agree with Cadforce69 in that you would be much better off pulling the heads and getting them re-done.

Yeah I know I should pull the head. I just have a feeling that will be the end of my chances of driving her this summer.

I popped the spring back on today and she's moving pretty good. So I think they are all moving pretty good.

I'll do a leak down test on all the cylinders and see what she reads. If its ok I'll get her goin for the rest of the summer and tackle the valve job over winter and do it right.

Glad to read that the engine is running ok. Now, keep the car moving -sweetly- is the best treatment to improve her health

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.