1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok here are some pics. First is the whole side. Second is a close up of the gap....
    smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Ok here are some pics. First is the whole side. Second is a close up of the gap.
    Attached Images

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

Is that end just loose? Maybe tighten it down? A new gasket might not be a bad idea in any case, but if that doesn' do it, you may need to consider machining the mating surfaces for a more flush fit.

Yeah I'm gonna get into that manifold later. She is running pretty smooth after tune up and fuel pump.

I just tried to throw her in gear and it does nothing. It feels like linkage is in tact just zero response from tranny at any setting.

I'm gonna start looking through shop manual but any guidance would be helpful.

Nevermind on tranny changed filter n fluid. She moves
    77CDV, 77CDV, talismandave and 1 others like this.

It's the little things.

Yeah it is. Like I said earlier I keep over thinking.

Ripped out most of interior today and started goin through electronics. I can't run the 30amp circuit breaker cause i have a short somewhere. I'm suspicious that it might be ds window motor. It was fried and the switches were stuck too.

Thank god I bought that manual. Would have never figured that you have to use a hole saw to gain access to window motor.

Other than that i was jumping everything today I got all the other windows to work and the top went up and down after a little lubing. I can see some air in the hydro lines so I'll bleed that at some point and get some fresh fluid in there too. Oh and I'm definately gonna need a top the rear glass just about fell out when I put it down.

Found a few small holes in the floor and under the rear seat. Nothing serious. I'll clean out all the decay and clean it up Probably go the rivet route and while she's torn down I'll scrub all the metal and hit it with some p.o.r.

Rain 4 the next few days so scrubbing interior it is. I need a garage!
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Well I couldn't really get under her before I bought here. Where I tapped around sounded good and the undercoating seemed in tact.

Well look what I found....

I'm still under 2000 into her and hoping to escape under 3500.

I went from a disposable old beater to a car I'm in love with. Can't seem to find fab panels for her. Guess I'll be fabricating and adding supports everywhere.
    Attached Images

I feel your pain.....

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Looks good to me, but then I have lived in WI all my life. I'm used to rust!

Yeah lots of rust here in RI too. I saw a few spots when it was parked but man the whole floor came up with the rug. Now I'm scared to death that there is some frame damage I missed. When I had her on stands last week I couldn't open pass side door but the lines looked ok so I just figured a few tons will bow anything slightly.

That middle brace was rotted right through to nothing. And the notch where it welds to the frame is fine. Seems strange to me. Haven't had a pro come in yet. We'll see how that convo goes.

I'm still trying to go through everything properly but quickly so not finding prefab pans is killing me. I'm tempted to buy a 68 pan and see what happens. Prob less work, well fabricating. Guess I won't have the interior installed by monday.

My neighbor keeps telling me its not that bad. I keep reminding him its not a dart hardtop like he has. It weighs 3 times more and i don't wanna chance any structural failure because of the convertible. Hell if it was a hardtop I'd weld in angle iron and some sheet metal and call it a day.

Based on the pics on a scale of 1-10 how screwed you guys think am?

Without knowing the condition of the frame, and just based on the pics you posted, I'd say you're at a 4. Here's a link to a whole bunch of vendors.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/foru....html#msg70083

Perhaps one of them can aid you in your quest for floor pans.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Rockauto.com have all pans available for 1965-68. Take a look in the 1967 catalog.

If you canīt find the specific ones for 1969-70 maybe you can adapt them to the 1969-70 model. I think they can not be too different: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3508503 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3508401

Congrats for your work and progress. I hope this 70 is on the road again soon

Thanks 77 and cad force. I called around today askin bout the 65-68 pans. I don't remember which company it was but the guy told me fitting those pans in would be difficult even though many try. I will post which company it was when i get back to my pc because a few others I called seemed eager to send them out. This guy was honest and said it can be done but it would be like making them yourself anyway. He also said the rear pans wouldn't fit at all. Very helpful!

After cleaning up a bit and another buddy popping by to investigate I'm much more comfortable with the situation. The center brace I was worried about does add some structural integrity but is mostly for the floor. So I can make something out of good channel steel and I only need a few feet. There is enough good metal to bite into in the right place so I'll grab a few sheets and a hammer and go to work.

Rolled around again under the car to see what I might of missed on the frame and things are good! Strange that something so decayed could have been attached to something that looks like it spent 42yrs in a vacuum.

I'm gonna take a ton of pics as we go so hopefully others in the 68-70 world can see what was there and what has failed. Haven't laid down a bead in about 20 yrs since high school. Everything around the house is gonna get welded till I get it down. Haha I have a volunteer for the really important joints.

Here are some cleaned up pics.
    Attached Images

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

It looks like you got lucky and have damage from the top leaking into the carpet and not rust coming up from below! The caddy I am working on from Cal. is the same thing. The vinyl top held water and rotted the body around it, the rest of the car is straight. It is just the opposite of what us rust belters are used to! Rusting from the top down not the bottom up!
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

I agree with talismandave. I think the situation is not so bad. Youīll have to clean rust and cut square holes on sound metal -thatīs the easy part- and then weld some patches on -thatīs the difficult one-. Ideally someone experienced in welding would help you. It seems the big work is on the driver pan. Once this is done you will have a very healthy body.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.