1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So Daisy is almost ready for a shoot. Only 1 piece of bright work left to put on woohoo. Hopefully ...
    smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    So Daisy is almost ready for a shoot. Only 1 piece of bright work left to put on woohoo. Hopefully pics this weekend if we
    Don't get nor'easter.

I do need help though. Here's the situation. Front cigar lighter and courtesy and map lights work properly. All other courtesy lights and cigar lighters do not. They did a month ago. Previous to them stop working every once in a while they would stay on after door closed. I would open and close door but I don't think it was the jamb switch because they would dim slightly when the switch would open. I think they went off because I rattled the car.

What could cause no power to both doors and rear panels? Can't be fuse because the under dash lights wouldn't work. I assume it can't be jamb switch because I can't override with headlamp switch.

My suspicion is a common feed wire is broken or something but it looks like that would be under the carpet and I'm no electrician but the break would have to be before the common feed splits to the front doors right? Otherwise the front door courtesy lamps would work.

A volt meter reads .08 volts at both front door and rear courtesy lights. So there is a trickle of juice. All signs, for me anyway point to broken wire but where o where could it be?????
    talismandave likes this.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

I had to re-route wiring in the doors (luckily only 2) for the courtesy lights and cigar lighters too. Also for the power windows control of the passenger side window. The wires and their insulation just tend to break after decades of opening and closing the doors.

I hope you don't get too worried to do that job. I found getting into the harness and behind the panels not very hard. You might want to use metal wire from a coat hanger or so to push the wire(s) through the openings. Just tape the electrical wire end to the end of the (stiff enough) metal wire. And you might want to bend the very tip of the metal wire to you don't damage any insulation (or paint) while you push through the openings and through the rubber sleeve (between door and car chassis).

Good luck! Hope this help will able us to see you pictures soon!

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Your on the right track, if the fuse is good more than likely a bad wire or connection. I would just go over all of them.

Yeah I figure a wire. Just thinking of where it could be. If 1 of the wires feeding a door was broken the rest of the lights should work right? According to diagram 1 orange wire is the feed. It then splits to each door and quarter panel. So I assume problem is from fuse box to splits.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yes it should, unless that one wire was powering everything. Could be wire running from fuse box to splits. Or connection at splits were bad. Hard to say which location cause a wire could of been short somewhere done the line. Just trace it I'm sure you'll find it. But yes the wires run under the carpet into the rear panels.

So here's some pics with her all dressed up. The HAVE to do list is complete!!! Now its on to the should/can do list.

All bright work and trim is in place and i only have the door weatherstripping left. Didn't realize i needed to have the panels off to install. And I need to track down some hood and door bumpers.

Gonna tackle the hvac next. Ill probably pull the power servo this week and clean that up as I seen in another post. Heat would be great as there are still nice days but it gets cool quick.

I'll take some interior shots after a few more tweaks.

http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/sm...?sort=3&page=1
    70eldo and CADforce69 like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Outstanding!

I wish you could link this thread to every ad, for every neglected Cadillac for sale. It would inspire people to know what can be achieved, and what reward is waiting for them.

You should be well proud of Daisy, and of yourself, for what you have done. I couldn't be happier for you both.
    70eldo likes this.

CADforce69 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Really impressive! You have finally brought Daisy to her glory days. Your hard work shows excellent results. Now, you can enjoy the fruits of your work and go on with the non urgent repairs and fixings. Looking forward for interior pics

P.S.: White is perfect for `70 convertibles. Now that itīs just painted is totally evident.

Hello all,

Been a while since I posted here. Not much to update. Just been chipping away at some small stuff and going through hvac.

I do have a question though. I want to replace the rear springs. Was she designed with constant or variable rate springs? Trying to figure which to use. Any input appreciated.

Cheers

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

I don't see why she couldn't be equiped with VR even if originally she wasn't

If you check rockauto.com you can see variable rate and constant rate springs are offered for convertibles. Variable rate provides a smoother ride and constant are stiffer. The first ones are more expensive but affordable. I would install variable, as ride quality depends on shocks; not on springs.

You may also keep your original springs and install air shocks like Monroe Max-Air. It comes with a kit to control the height of your rear end through an air valve, in case your problem is sagged springs. Thatīs the solution I used with my 69 (that originally had automatic level control) .

Be very careful and use a good spring compressor if you finally change the springs. They could kill an elephant instantly if one is released accidentally when itīs being removed or installed.

Thanks 70 and Cadforce.

I will order the vr springs.

There is no mention of a spring compressor in the fsm. It only mentions disconnecting the lower shock mount and upper control arm then using jacks in various places to remove and install. I'm hoping i will not need to use a compressor cause they scare the hell out of me.
    70eldo and CADforce69 like this.

I didnīt check the FSM. I hope you can do it safely.

wavedog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 69 deville convertible
    Had mine out last summer. Was no problem. Car on stands I put jack under differential and removed shocks and just lowered rear end and they just slid out
    CADforce69 likes this.

Ok springs are out waiting for new ones to arrive. Guess they got held up in weather.

I have another question and I'm hoping someone has a parts list so maybe I can ref the gm#. I have searched EVERYWHERE for this. It's the shifter linkage bushing. The rubber grommet that goes in the frame that the linkage runs through. I've found some for other years and other makes but none look like the one that is destroyed. I've rigged something but I'd like to fix it properly so I'm not always worried if I'm really in park.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.