1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Here's the kicker. It's definitely leaking where the linkage from the gear selector connects. I guess it would be possible that this is the source of all fluid as its at the highest point. I'll assume that seal can only be replaced by taking the tranny out.

I drove her for a few months and didn't notice any significant drop in fluid level so I'm hoping I can just keep some fluid handy and check often.
    Thatīs another frequent leak on these old cars. If leak is only some drops after you stop the car, I would tackle this later as there are more important issues to solve. As you said, you just need checking level often and having tranny oil at hand.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Always good to hear from you. I thought of you when I saw this listed on Ebay....Steer horns optional extra....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/330878387961...84.m1423.l2649

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible

Dave I'm still hunting for Horns!!!

CadForce, one of my office car guys says he has a gm tranny seal tool that replaces the shift shaft seal externally. Just disconnect the linkage and place this puller/screw tool over shaft and viola. I searched it and looks like it might work. I'll let y'all know if it does. I'm pretty excited I might be able to get rid of that pesky tranny leak. It really quite minimal but its bugging me.

I started a new thread today to see if we can consolidate and info on something I've been googling about how not to pull the oil pan to change the timing chain. Or at least not touch the Y pipe. I'm afraid of touching expensive old exhaust components. Guess I should have just pulled the engine seems less difficult.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

So I've been cranking along and have finally decided to tackle the timing chain.

I started a new thread for that with questions about dropping the oil pan and more. I can't figure how to link it here but those that are interested can access via my profile. I posted some pics with the front cover off. Very encouraged. She looks clean and the timing chain and sprockets look new. I'm changing it anyway to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    So I've been cranking along and have finally decided to tackle the timing chain.

I started a new thread for that with questions about dropping the oil pan and more. I can't figure how to link it here but those that are interested can access via my profile. I posted some pics with the front cover off. Very encouraged. She looks clean and the timing chain and sprockets look new. I'm changing it anyway to be sure.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...0-deville.html

SWEENDOG1969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90k 1969 Cadillac Hardtop Sedan Deville

I tried leaving the stock am in the dash on my 69 deville and putting a secret audio from custom autosound and all that accomplished was me loosing heat. So I went with an in dash by custom autosound and put modified stock knobs back on it.
    644201_4348935452773_1287810118_n.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    I never thought of this solution for the radio. It would be at hand but you couldnīt see controls unless you watch downwards to the radio.

My radio did not work either. I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-70-Cadi...ab61a6&vxp=mtr Size, screen and controls fit exactly in original housing. Style is very similar. Itīs a modern radio with MP3 player with USB and aux. inputs. You can also connect a CD changer or player if you want. Sounds and works great and controls & screen are easy to handle. Replaced original loudspeakers (they were toast) with new quality ones with new lines like you did. Iīm really happy with the results and all comments from other customers seem good. Screen seems an old style AM radio one when itīs off.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

^Yeah! Thatīs exactly the one I installed on my 69. So far Iīm happy with it.

I ended up building a console that is mounted to the front of the seat. It holds the radio and adds a little storage. It's a little awkward because you have to look down to radio but after a day or so I was familiar enough to operate without looking. I use my phone a lot for music too.

----------

So.......

New shocks, fuel/brake lines, timing chain, rear drum hardware and shoes.

Rebuilt ps pump, oil pump.

Cleaned fuel tank, coolant flushed, tranny pan resealed (still leaking ill keep working on it)

In my living room waiting to be installed: new top, weather strip kit.

Onto body and paint. Got all the trim off started to attack a few rust spots. Plan on prepping for a few weeks and hopefully paint her by may 1. We'll see.
    70eldo, CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

klinebau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible Red

Really interested to see how well the top works out for you. I need to replace mine and professional estimates are about $1700. I can buy a new top and install myself for $500, but am not sure how it would turn out. I had a major transmission failure in my daily driver and have to scale back some of my plans for the Cadillac.

wavedog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 69 deville convertible

wow Jared, you are really moving along. I haven't even brought mine home yet to start. weather is getting better, I think it is time.
    Interested in the top project too as I also need one and don't have the funds to have someone replace it now.. no back window so have to keep it covered. From what I was reading it is easier if you take measurements before you disassemble the old one. If you need an extra set of hands or don't mind if I hang out and watch that would be cool.

Thanks WD,

I've been trying. I'd like to get er done by mid May. I'm not sure when I will tackle the too

----------

Haha finger slipped to send too soon.

Not sure when ill tackle the top but ill give you a heads up. Probably a sat or Sunday soon.

Hope you get Ur girl home soon.

How are you and Daisy getting along? Any new photos of your girl?

Hi Dave,

Daisy and I are doing well. She's been "naked" but we are enjoying the summer.

I think I'm done mechanically for now (fingers crossed)

I shot her with primer in may and she's been blocked and touched up here and there. Hoping to paint her soon so I can put all the trim and seals back on.

I did the top in June. It was challenging but requires a lot more patience than skill. 2 days after install the back window shattered. The conv top guy said I put the curtain on to tight so that was a frustrating day!!!!!!!!!

Last weekend I put a new curtain on with a plastic window. Not what I wanted at all but it will not shatter. She deserves glass but it is what it is.

I lost my phone recently along with top pics ill get some new ones up soon. Hopefully painted!

Hope Ur summers going well.

Cheers.
    70eldo and CADforce69 like this.

Glad to hear from you two!

Sucks with the top. The good news is it will always be down anyway so no one will know.
    I also have phone woes...suffice it to say, remove smart phone from pocket before working on car.

Just got back from vacation. Good time with folks and relatives. Got some work done on the Talisman before I left and will be back on it soon.

Be well, take good care of my girl!

disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by klinebau View Post
    Really interested to see how well the top works out for you. I need to replace mine and professional estimates are about $1700. I can buy a new top and install myself for $500, but am not sure how it would turn out. I had a major transmission failure in my daily driver and have to scale back some of my plans for the Cadillac.
    Even the cloth tops are only 600 with the cables, tack/staples and pads? Are you doing a custom color?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.