1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ^The most important thing is that now you can drive her for the rest of the summer Test her; enjoy ...
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

^The most important thing is that now you can drive her for the rest of the summer Test her; enjoy her

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Just remember: perfect is the enemy of good.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    77 thats the president of my company's favorite line.

So I've been working through the vac system and replacing hoses here and there. Idle is getting a little smoother so I think ill just keep hacking at it.

Also I replaced the right outer tie rod end and the front end feels much better. I think both front wheel bearings need to be done too. Looks like someone popped the cap and tried to shove grease in there to cover something up.

I've been working on the hvac because if I drive her at night I need defogger for the sticky ones. I had unplugged the blower cause she squealed when I turn the key on and I pulled the plug on the compressor cause I figured it was probably bad anyway.

Hooked everything back up. Lube the climate control lever and vac control switch. Turned everything on and presto everything was mostly working.

I could tell the the purge door wasn't opening it was just sending air back to engine compartment. Traced that vac line to a solenoid behind fuse panel. I'm suspicious that this is faulty but I'll never know because I broke a nipple of course. Hope they still make those.

Anyway hooked a t up there and now air always flows to pass compartment and is on a permanent mix of floor and defog. Mission accomplished for now.

Now the compressor kicks on and off freely and without any unusual noises. I'm pretty sure there isn't any coolant in the system so I unplugged it again. I am now intrigued to see if my hvac system is in tact and just needs a little light maintenance. Hmmmm.

Iīm glad progress keeps going on

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post

Also I replaced the right outer tie rod end and the front end feels much better. I think both front wheel bearings need to be done too. Looks like someone popped the cap and tried to shove grease in there to cover something up.
    Did you take a look at the drag link? It uses to suffer considerable wearing with miles.

I could tell the the purge door wasn't opening it was just sending air back to engine compartment. Traced that vac line to a solenoid behind fuse panel. I'm suspicious that this is faulty but I'll never know because I broke a nipple of course. Hope they still make those.
    I think you can find it on Ebay. If not, take a look at USA Parts Supply.

Well gents we took a little road trip this week.

Went from RI to VT camping. About 135mi. Mostly highway but took a few side roads too made a couple stops to check on things Was a little nervous but she did fine! No difference from start to finish.

Left VT and headed to Saratoga,NY to catch a few races and relax with beds and running water. About 90mi all side roads through the green mountains. Again no issues.

Saratoga back to RI. 160mi all highway. Was a little more brave on the ride home. Had her cruising at 70 for extended periods of time. Held speed perfectly on some of the steep grades through the berkshires.

Got home and gave her a big fat kiss! She handled the trip like it was 1970 (except the fuel prices of course). Fluid levels didnt change and everything seems ok. I did change fuel filter in VT just to be cautious The biggest issues I have right now are pretty minor.

Obviously the fuel tank is on the agenda, she needs an alignment but I want to wait until I do the wheel bearings. They seemed like they need replacing when I was checking them out after tie rod replacement. And I think my ps pump might go at anytime. It seems to be leaking slowly but not from any hoses or fittings so that can't be good.

I think I got pretty lucky with Daisy! We'll try to enjoy the rest of the nice weather and get back to work.
    77CDV, 77CDV, talismandave and 1 others like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I'll bet the grim on my face is almost as big as yours!
    So glad to hear Daisy has hit her stride. If anyone deserves to have a few carefree miles of fun, it is you.

Iīm glad your trip was smooth and pleasant. It has been the real test for your caddy and Daisy has proved to be a champ These cars were solidly built and you seem to have solved all important issues. Youīll check the most you drive her, the best sheīll run, as long as you donīt abuse her. Consider she was neglected for so many years

As for the S/P, maybe you need a new seal kit. A rebuilt one is also affordable as you can check on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...+pump&_sacat=0

Now enjoy your beautiful convertible for the rest of summer, my friend. You really deserve it

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Most excellent news! I knew the old girl would turn out right in the end. You just can't keep those old Cads down!
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

Hello all,

Figured I'd give you a little update on Daisy. I've been slacking a little but starting to ramp it up again. It's tough being a Pats fan.

Dropped her tank and cleaned it out thoroughly. I didn't seal her up because after a soap wash and a little acid she looked pretty good. I was concerned that I would mess up the sealing process and create more problems down the road. New steel fuel lines in. I also put in a filter before the pump cause that one in the pump just seems to sit there. Never sure if it in right.

New brake lines goin in too. Hopefully I'll find my mysterious rear brake leak that doesn't seem to leave a puddle. I suspect the piston seals. Ill know once I get in there. Also have to replace front pass caliper because I can't get the bleeder screw out. That happened a while ago just filled up the hole with a mug welder.

Have a lot of mechanical odds and ends I'm hoping to finish over the next month or so. Rebuilt ps pump(it leaks), front wheel bearings, shocks and if I can find someone to help me pull the balancer ill do the h2o pump and timing chain. Already have parts from when I was doing valve seals but couldn't get it off.

Here's where I could use a little advise. I'm also taking all the trim off, well began to anyway, any tips for not mangling it?

I'm also gonna have to figure out how to get it back on. There are so many clips n such I have no idea what I need. There seems to be several styles on the car. Some studs, some spring clips things. I'll you tube it and see if there's a video for removal anyway.

Got a buddy who quit drinking and he needs something to do so I can surely help him out with that. A little palm sander and some daisy should keep him busy for a while.

Ill post more pics soon and send a link.

Hope ya'll are well! Go pats! And it also nice to say Go Bruins again.

Iīm glad to read about Daisy and you again. Nice to know the project goes on This car was neglected for so many years... Sheīs been lucky you found her to pay her all the attention she was needing.

You can find clips on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

You just need to know the width of the molding where the clips will be inserted. Thereīs even an assortment set for the GM cars of these years. The right way to get the trim off is unscrewing the nuts by the inside. Thatīs the same for the scripts, trunk crest, etc. Maybe you can keep original clips; it depends on how seized are the nuts. You can aways help yourself with WD-40.

klinebau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible Red

Glad to hear that you are continuing to make progress. I've been doing a little on mine, but it is hard in an unheated garage in Michigan. I can't help with the trim since I haven't even begun to look at that yet, but I will be interested to see what you find out.

Do you have working windshield spray nozzles? I wonder if you could snap a picture of what they look like and how they are mounted to hood. Mine are completely missing and not sure how they attach (hood?)

Hey K,

Good to hear you are making progress. My wiper pump is inoperative. I put a new kit on there and new hoses but it just clicks when I engage the pump. I will have to take the pump of the motor and check out the cam to see if it engaged properly or broken.

The center nipple on the pump is the inlet and the other 2 are the outlets. The hoses run under the hood and clip onto the edge facing up to the windshield. Pretty much like every older gm I've owned. I'll snap a photo next time I'm in the garage.

She's in an unheated garage here too and I let my buddy borrow my bullet heater this week. Of course it's the coldest week in a few years so I don't anticipate much getting done til it gets above 30 again.

Well another update.

Finally found a strainer sock for the sending unit so ill be able to put the tank back in soon.

I was inspecting the front wheel bearing to see what I needed to buy but it just seemed to be mid adjusted. I took off the spindle nut and re torqued to spec. Seems to be fine. There wasn't any up and down movement just in and out, which is now gone.

I ordered my ps pump kit so ill prob take that out soon. I have a puddle under the car which I thought was ps fluid. Surprise.....it's tranny fluid and seems to be coming from the front seal.

I cleaned the whole area because there was fluid on the guard and the pan. We'll see where it is when I get back. Hoping for the pan but we'll see. If it isn't severe I may just monitor fluid level and make that a next winter project.

Gonna order my new roof this week. And start cracking on body prep. Springs a coming.

I ordered my ps pump kit so ill prob take that out soon. I have a puddle under the car which I thought was ps fluid. Surprise.....it's tranny fluid and seems to be coming from the front seal.

I cleaned the whole area because there was fluid on the guard and the pan. We'll see where it is when I get back. Hoping for the pan but we'll see. If it isn't severe I may just monitor fluid level and make that a next winter project.
    Itīs easy to tell if the leak comes from the front seal. Few minutes after you stop the engine creep under the car and see if puddle is forming just between engine and tranny (center of transversal axis). If itīs not too serious itīs better leaving it until it leaks more, as itīs necessary to take transmission off. When this moment comes you will want to change all tranny gaskets and seals.

Spring is close. I hope you can work on Daisy and enjoy her ride at the same time

Thanks for the tips CF. here's an update.

It looks like the pan seal is definitely leaking. Not too worried about that. There is a drip coming from the front cover (flywheel cover?) which I didn't want to remove at this point. It looks like its only 4 bolts so I may take it off just to see. That leak could be the fluid seeking the lowest point and actually be coming from somewhere else.

Here's the kicker. It's definitely leaking where the linkage from the gear selector connects. I guess it would be possible that this is the source of all fluid as its at the highest point. I'll assume that seal can only be replaced by taking the tranny out.

I drove her for a few months and didn't notice any significant drop in fluid level so I'm hoping I can just keep some fluid handy and check often.

Moved on to ps pump. My next research project will involve trying to figure out how to get that pulley off. Doesn't look like modern pullers will work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.