1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hmmm maybe I'll just throw it in the dash. I already have the radio but it's not a dual shaft. ...
    smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Hmmm maybe I'll just throw it in the dash. I already have the radio but it's not a dual shaft.

Any insight on the diff lube? I read your post cadforce. I don't wanna be tracking a new rear end down.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by smelvis
    Hmmm maybe I'll just throw it in the dash. I already have the radio but it's not a dual shaft.

Any insight on the diff lube? I read your post cadforce. I don't wanna be tracking a new rear end down.
    I'd go for mounting it against the seat. IMO, a newer radio in a classic looking dash detracts from the look of the car.
    You could also make a console between the bench and the dash. Have the radio with a lid over it against the seat and have some actual usable storage between the radio and the dash/ firewall.

Well today I checked the diff fluid she was a little low but not bad. It took about 3/4 of a quart. I just added 90w oil. Still don't know what gm means about special fluid.

My resonator came today and the pipe will be here tomorrow. Filled her up. Changed the fuel filter again and took her for a cruise.

First time on the highway. No shakes or rattles in the front end which surprises me because I'm sure it needs some front end work. She likes to cruise at 55 and she doesn't like to open up her other 2 barrels. Kinda cuts out and hesitates a bit. Thinking its probably the same fuel problem.

All smiles though. Made a pit stop halfway through our little trip about 12 miles. We'll see if I make it home.

She's not inspected yet so I can't wait to get exhaust on so she's not so loud. Then I can really cruise without fear of the man.........I hope
    77CDV, 77CDV, talismandave and 1 others like this.

This guy is on cloud 9!

After a week of setbacks: getting exhaust pieces that don't fit, wiring in a stereo and crossing up wires, snapping a brake line and dealing with getting my daily driver inspected uuuuuuuggggghhhh!

This am I replaced the rear brake line from valve to axle. Fixed wiring. Brought muffler, pipe and resonator to Lopez Welding, he hung it up for $50.

Then she started pissing oil. Ready to freak out but I didn't. Removed the pass side valve cover gasket replaced with a tube of black silicone. to remind you I have gone through 2 gaskets on each side.

Hopped in the shower to work a shift in a restaurant I fill in at once in a while and said f@ck it I'm taking Daisy.

She handled the trip like a dream! 20 mi each way. Went there back roads came home highway. Like driving my couch. She's close fellas. A lot of work to go but she's close.
    77CDV, 77CDV, Cristofo and 5 others like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

I am so stoked for you. I am suddenly filled with wanting to go work on mine. Luckily it is the middle of the night and it will pass by morning!
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    This guy is on cloud 9!

She handled the trip like a dream! 20 mi each way. Went there back roads came home highway. Like driving my couch. She's close fellas. A lot of work to go but she's close.
    These long time sat cars use to require a good deal of work to get them in the road again but there is a point when you feel you´re beginning to get the reward for that work you got into them, and driving them is a dream. I´m glad you´re already enjoying this pleasure

So I just picked her up from the shop. I had the rear pinion seal replaced. Only cost me one hour of labor but now the rear end hums while coasting. This is exactly why I didn't do it myself. Guess I'll head back and see what they say.

Looks like a pinion seal job may be in my future anyway.

Sorry to hear that... It seems pinion was misaligned while changing the seal. The shop will have to solve it as I assume there was no humming before.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

You know why they hum don't you?

They don't know the words.....
    (My least popular response to people complaining about our cheap China made ceiling fans when electrical mgr at Menards!)

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Please. Keep your day job.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

So I just got a call from the shop and they said the noise is occurring because they did not use an additive in the lube.

As wonderful as this sounds I am not optimistic that this will solve the problem. I'm pretty sure that the pre load wasn't set properly and therefore are not lined up.

But we'll see.

^It sounds strange but they will have to discard this and see if noise is still there, but if you came with no noise, they should fix it until the rear end is as silent as it was before.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Well just picked her up and went for a short cruise and the noise is gone.

I'll take her for a longer cruise later and see what she does.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Great! As you said above, your caddy has a controlled differential so a "special" fluid should be used. Maybe at first they refilled it with ordinary lube.

Guess it was the lube. Go figure.

She's doing ok. Knock on wood. Can't get her to idle silky smooth but maybe she's just one of them ladies that likes it a little rough.

I should probably look into hei but points are at 29, closest I can get to 30. Timing is 7.5/8 new plugs, cap, rotor, points etc. timing advance seems to be ok.

Gonna try n let her b and see how it goes. Dig a little deeper in the winter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.