1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Dave there is an auto parts place across the street from me. It's a mom n pop so I support ...
    smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Dave there is an auto parts place across the street from me. It's a mom n pop so I support them as much as I can but sometimes they are 40% higher than rock or az but I always go there first.

They had 5 of my filters in stock. $1.90 each. I bought em all. I'm kinda hoping I can put it off but we'll see.

Cristofo, congrats man! You'll get a ton of help here!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 1970 DeVille Convertible.....the adventure begins!

Christofo, If you haven't already, I would urge you to take the time to read this whole tread. You can learn a lot from Smelvis. He is wise beyond his years in Cadillacology!
    All I can say is....

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Iīm glad to know the gas problems is not as serious as it seemed. I think the problem is controlled as long as the tank is full more than 1/4... Anyway, a good tank treatment wouldnīt do any harm. These fuel filters are still on production. You can check Ebay or Rockauto.com; any parts shop could order them.

Check as soon as possible differential lube level by the rear plug. My carīs differential died by a low lube level. There was no leak as it was almost empty

Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Christofo, If you haven't already, I would urge you to take the time to read this whole tread. You can learn a lot from Smelvis. He is wise beyond his years in Cadillacology!
    All I can say is....
    My brain is a sponge, ha...I think me and Jared would get a long just fine. I can relate to his original post 100% Not only did I not have the money as a teenager or even now, but the satisfaction you get from fixing something with your own hands is so much better than paying a LOT more money for someone else to do the work.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

You cats are just too kind! I ain't no caddy guru. I'd be nowhere without the help I got here with all of you. And the shop manual of course.

I'm gonna keep the gas tank full n try to get a summer out of her. A flush is needed but we'll see.

I know there are fuel filters out there and they are not expensive anywhere, about $4 @ az but less than $2!!! I bought em all.

The plan 4 tomorrow is check the rear axle fluid, install new 3 1/2 speakers in upper dash and re seal hvac ducts.

Hope all is well!

(PICTURES) Sounds like a good plan, (PICTURES), CadForce scared me with that one too! (PICTURES) I forgot about reading about that when I read his thread the first time.(PICTURES)
    Did I mention PICTURES?

Ok here's a photobucket link to the rest of floor pics, interior assembly and the latest exterior shots.

http://m1075.photobucket.com/albums/smelvis36?newest=1

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    How difficult is it to add a temp and oil pressure gauge on these ladies? Just like to see a gauge instead of a light to pre empt any developing issues.
    Itīs rather easy. I had a temp. gauge installed on my '69. Youīll find instructions in the kit. You have to choose where to install the sensor. I did it on engine top, by the side of the radiator intake hose (That going from engine top to rad.). It helps you a lot to monitor how engine is running. Donīt trust on temp. lights. Pressure lights use to work better.

Like these pics. You have a triumphant look on your beautiful Daisy

Well she's definitely leaking some some gear oil. It looks like its coming from the pinion seal. It doesn't look like a terrible job if I follow instructions very closely.

I have a question for all the gurus. What is the size and shape for the filler nut on the dif? It looks like a hex jobber. I'd like to see if anyone has the exact size so I can just buy that size. I don't have a hex set. Also the manual says if it is a controlled differential then I must use "special" fluid but it does not indicate what would make such fluid "special". My plan is to check level, refill and see what happens.

Side note. I had to replace all speakers and in the process ran new lines while she was torn apart. I'm gonna leave the original deck where it is. I was exploring mounting locations for new radio and if I go under dash I would need a stick to operate it. So here's my idea and I'd like your opinions.

I was thinking of using a marine enclosure and making a mount that would actually be fastened to the front seat. The radio would then be mounted flat against the front center of the bench with the controls facing straight up. Seems like the only place it would be easily accessible and kinda outta the way. Anywhere I found under dash is either awkward or a mile away.

Double post

I never thought of this solution for the radio. It would be at hand but you couldnīt see controls unless you watch downwards to the radio.

My radio did not work either. I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-70-Cadi...ab61a6&vxp=mtr Size, screen and controls fit exactly in original housing. Style is very similar. Itīs a modern radio with MP3 player with USB and aux. inputs. You can also connect a CD changer or player if you want. Sounds and works great and controls & screen are easy to handle. Replaced original loudspeakers (they were toast) with new quality ones with new lines like you did. Iīm really happy with the results and all comments from other customers seem good. Screen seems an old style AM radio one when itīs off.

That is very similar to what I have bought for mine. I haven't yet put the dash back in and have not tried it yet. I also looked at putting a radio in glovebox as many here have done. You can then get a tiny remote to operate it. might be easier and cheaper.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/classic-sou...=d223y1974g2j1
    This is what I bought. I think it can be configured to fit any dash.

^Thatīs a good device too. Screen looks a little less classic but has a better price and seems to have a remote control.

I didn't bother with the remote, and I am not real concerned with the original look. Will not be showing mine, just going to be a driver. We will see how it works. (Probably sometime this winter.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.