Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Attachment 89805 talsdelivery1.jpg Had to tow it off the trailer with a forklift, no gas got gas in it and ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

Attachment 89805talsdelivery1.jpg
    Had to tow it off the trailer with a forklift, no gas got gas in it and it fired right up. It has been sitting for 15 years and
    everything seems to be sticking. The idle is racing, the ignition sticks in start and has to be manually returned to run. The windows all move in slow motion. The power door locks clunk but only jiggle, not open. I think the heat of Cal. where it is from just gummed up whatever lube was on these components.
    1. I bought some carb cleaner I think that will handle the idle if its the throttle. If not what else do I look for.
    2. Would elect. contact cleaner be ok on ignit. switch? Or what?
    3. After I pull door panels to expose wind. & locks what would the cleaning process be?

I have a very good mech. who will give it the once over after the registration is complete. I just want to take care of this stuff first to get it to the point where it is ready to take to him. And that it isn't damaging the power units.
    If anyone can handle part or all of these I would appreciate the input. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

The carb likely just needs a good cleaning. If that doesn't do the trick, check your throttle linkage and the fast idle switch. As for the ignition, a liberal spray of WD40 should loosen things up. Good luck with the door locks and window motors. For as big as those doors are, space inside them is tight! The door lock acutators are probably shot, which is why they won't unlock. As for the windows, you can try cleaning the electrical contacts, but I suspect new motors and a thorough lubricating of the channels will be necessary.

Thanks for the input. so far the ignition is taken care of, and I soaked up carb good but ran out of energy and daylight. Took a pressure washer to it today just to clean off and see what I am dealing with. It started flaking off the dark blue paint in sheets and revealing a rather nice looking light blue met. under. My pressure washer is 1500psi I am going to call one of our other stores that has a rental dept. and see if they have a higher one that would be quicker. The old paint is checking and if this works would beat the heck out of sanding! Thank God for backyard paint jobs and little or no prep!

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

The light blue is "Antigua Blue."

I would avoid electrical cleaner on the ignition as it is VERY harmful to interior surfaces and colors. WD40 is much safer.

The calif heat has indeed taken its toll. My 76 Thunderbird's windows and door locks were doing the very same thing when she arrived from Newport Beach.

Most likely the Quadrajet is gummed to no end and probably needs a rebuild as well. Depending on your preferences, you may want to put that instrument in a box and purchase a new Holly, Grant, or other street emissions carb - which would handle today's swill fuel much better.

Sounds like a great car and a great project! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    The light blue is "Antigua Blue."
    My 76 Thunderbird's
    Now that's a ride I can get behind!
    In '79 before I saw the Talisman that I bought I drove and almost bought a '76 bird. The guy who owned it prior had
    been a smoker which I could have lived with. However he must have also been a drunk because there wasn't a surface within reach of the drivers seat that
    didn't have at least 5 burns in it! If he had been more careful, I could be posting on a Ford forum today!
    Thank you for the color name. It is raining today and the parts I exposed look GREAT! I don't remember that color on the big body Fleets I remember seeing it on the ones that were like my '82 Sedan D V. I am leaning toward that now.
    I love white cars and have only owned a couple of them and never a Caddy. When I bought this and knew it would need a repaint I thought oh boy.
    Now I don't know. I feel like Capt. Ahab, I may never get my white whale!
    I used the WD-40 and it did fine. The carb I still didn't mess with other than dousing with cleaner. If it don't do it, a replacement would be my first choice. Thank's for the input and encouragement. I'll need plenty of both!

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    ...and I soaked up carb good but ran out of energy and daylight. Took a pressure washer to it today just to clean off and see what I am dealing with.
    I had to read your post a couple times because it read like you were power washing the carburetor.

Very cool car! I think I told you before, but my best buddy in high school had a black '76 Talisman. Man we had some good cruising times in that car! His after school job was to deliver tax papers for his dad who was a CPA, so he just charged all the gas to him! Woohoo!

I love it! I bet you really thought I was nuts when I got to looking for more power.
    I called a friend and he is delivering a gas washer that when I ask him if it was powerful his response,"It'll cut concrete." That'll get that carb clean. If not I'll have to boil it out, If I have a big enough pot.

althegut is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Threw a rod 79 Seville

----------

----------

Wanna put in a diesel dx

Quote Originally Posted by althegut View Post
    Threw a rod 79 Seville

----------

----------

Wanna put in a diesel dx
    You should start a new thread in the RWD Deville/Fleetwood section. You will get much more response.

And

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

He's in a good place, but his posts are a bit scare with the data. LOL!

Well, work on my project is coming along, if slowly do to health, and weather. I managed to get the carb cleaned and lubed and it fires right up and runs well, for being decommissioned in 1996. I found a bunch of paperwork in the glovebox and haven't gone through it all, but up until they stopped running it they seemed to have done whatever it needed. It was a Cal. car so it may have been emission problems that grounded it not running issues. After owning it for two weeks I finally opened the trunk for a look see and was thrilled with all the goodies inside. All four original floor mats in great condition, all the chrome strips missing from the top removal(rear window and bottom edge), the opera lights, the missing dash ashtray, and even the pass side litter bin! Missing only the Fleetwood Talisman scripts from the c-pillars,Fleetwood,no prob Talisman will be rarer than hens teeth. Also had a pair of later model wirt wheel covers if anyone is in need PM me.
    Attachment 91012Attachment 91013
    I got all doors and locks etc. lubed and working/sounding right. Replaced missing trunk lock and lubed and found frayed wire on pull down and it goes like a champ. Been pulling chrome trim here and there as I come to it. I un-PIMPed MY RIDE by pulling the Rolls grille and replacing it with an egg crate I got off ebay for 45.00. Best investment yet! Still need to find chrome trim that goes on bottom of hood over grille.(anyone?...)
    un-pimped ride tiny.jpg
    I do have one issue I need an answer on. the belt that runs from crank to fan to AIR pump is missing. When I tried to move AIR pump it seem to be frozen. Without it the fan and Gen don't turn. How much of a problem would it be if I replaced belt with a smaller one that went crank to fan only? At least for a while to move to repair/paint locations.
    I have lived in the rust belt all my life, what a joy it is to put a wrench on a bolt, start it (instead of breaking it) and then turn it all the way out by finger!

I wouldn't hesitate for one second to remove that air pump and throw it as far as I could. It was very common to bypass them. I can't think of a single reason it would be a problem, especially since there is no catalytic converter on that car anyway.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

^Agreed, bypass the air pump. But, I think 74s have a cat?

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    ^Agreed, bypass the air pump. But, I think 74s have a cat?
    Thanks guys, I remember people doing that even back in the day. At least I thought I did. As far as the cat I haven't looked, but if so, not for long! No testing here and even if they started I bet collector registration would be exempted.

If it does have a cat it was a California only thing. '75 was the first year for them as far as I know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.