Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Dave, What's first on your "to do list" this spring? Can't wait to get mine home, then I'll be ...
    gold01ca is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 74 Fleetwood Talisman, 94 Geo Metro, 02 Ford F-350 Diesel

Re: Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

Hey Dave,
    What's first on your "to do list" this spring?
    Can't wait to get mine home, then I'll be picking your brain!

Cheers!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

First is to relocate the two new power steering hoses from the drivers seat to the power steering pump so I can drive it out of the garage.

The previous owner had started a really botched attempt at repairing the rot under the rear window. I have re-done it with fiberglass and Bondo good enough to remount the rear window. I know that isn't the right way to do it but between working on a very limited budget and having no place to do the work other than an outdoor parking lot it is the best I could do.
    Now that my renewed health has allowed me several months of full time employment and my funds are up I am having second thoughts on it. I still have a fair amount of work to do on getting the body surface to be as straight and smooth as the window mount and channel came out. I have to decide if I want to tear it all out and cut out all the work I did and weld in new, or continue with the original plan and just get it done good enough to enjoy for a few years and do it then.(Which is what I am leaning toward.) My overall goal is To build it to a decent driver quality car. It will be driven a couple thousand miles a year and stored inside I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

Well haven't gotten any work done on Sally yet but I did add to her "hope chest" with several trips to my local yard.

After three trips, and about 5 hours of hacking away with my trusty little B & D VersaPak jig saw I finally got the window bottom cut out of the 76 donor.

Here is the old girl who gave it up so Sally can live again.(Post Op).....R.I.P.

Here we have the bounty she bestowed upon me. (Only fellow "rust belt" members will understand this is an up-grade!)

And the trunk to replace my dented one. (Mine has about the same or perhaps more rust plus a bend up by the hinge like someone closed it forcefully on an over-sized load.

Special thanks to my roomy service loaner XC60.....

The total was $105.50, and as I reached for change they knocked off the $.50.

Also got introduced to the guy responsible for my yard keeping all the old Cadillacs from being crushed. He is a fellow owner and enthusiast and I told him to check out our little community here!

Great couple days, life is good!
    70eldo and 77CDV like this.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ohhh yeah. Some people call it working on cars. I call it fun, well most of the time. Enjoy yourself.
    70eldo and talismandave like this.

No...I am not making it a donk!

Long day,long night, and work again tomorrow....

Drove to 3 different parts stores to find a hose and 2 clamps. 3 strikes!

This is what I handed them.

2 of the three came back with a piece of fuel line.

The 3rd ask me if it was fuel line, I said no 400 PSI is not fuel line and that it was power steering. He didn't have any. I asked for a center pull hose clamp. Had to explain what one was to him.(None of the three knew what one was, and none sold them)

He half laughed and said. "A hose clamp to hold a P steering line, I don't think so." I told him it has held for 37 years and 95,000 miles, it can't be too inferior a set-up!

So I cleaned up my old parts and re-installed them. The other hose was bad, this one looked OK and was made in 1996 so I hope it will do for now.

Found some electrical issues.

Pos. battery cable...

....and this little rats nest I have to deal with tomorrow.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Glad to see it's moving along. Did you get your junkyard finds installed? (trunk, etc)

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Those wires look sketchy. I'd upgrade the battery terminal wiring with some 4 gauge welding cable. Its nice and thick gauge, has a thick jacket made for exterior use, and it's cheap

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    Glad to see it's moving along. Did you get your junkyard finds installed? (trunk, etc)
    Nope, they are stowed for the time being until I decide on who will be doing the body work.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Those wires look sketchy. I'd upgrade the battery terminal wiring with some 4 gauge welding cable. Its nice and thick gauge, has a thick jacket made for exterior use, and it's cheap
    I got the fuseable links replaced and I had a new battery cable and shut off, and small patch cable I made up just that way installed.

After all was installed I started it up and cycled the steering and filled fluid. Was fun to see her idling again. I need to do a lower radiator hose next. (At least I hope that is what I need.) Small leak and like everything else rubber on the car it looks shot!

Next comes oil change, spark plugs and wires.
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Dave, how hard is it to bleed the power steering pump? I need to replace mine (it is weeping from the casing down onto the engine crossmember and I don't want to drive it like that). I can do the installation, but my dad said it is very hard to bleed them because until you finish bleeding the system, it is like turning back and forth with no P.S.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

There are some power steering pump bleeding procedures on youtube

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Hi Dave, A long time since the last time I entered the forum but now Iīm glad to see you are making progress. Iīm sure it has been a pleasure seeing Sally running again. Itīs great you got the body parts to substitute the damaged ones. BTW, we can not see these pics as they were moved or deleted.

Iīm pleased to see your work in progress and looking forward to see new updates

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

Buuuuuumpity Bump Bump!

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Dave, how hard is it to bleed the power steering pump? I need to replace mine (it is weeping from the casing down onto the engine crossmember and I don't want to drive it like that). I can do the installation, but my dad said it is very hard to bleed them because until you finish bleeding the system, it is like turning back and forth with no P.S.
    I didn't really bleed mine. I replaced the hose filled it up and it turned side to side easily from the start. Just kept going lock to lock and refilling until it stayed level. It may be harder if you replace the pump or the steering head unit? I still had a lot of fluid left in system I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    Hi Dave, A long time since the last time I entered the forum but now Iīm glad to see you are making progress. Iīm sure it has been a pleasure seeing Sally running again. Itīs great you got the body parts to substitute the damaged ones. BTW, we can not see these pics as they were moved or deleted.

Iīm pleased to see your work in progress and looking forward to see new updates
    Thanks Rueben, Feels good to be picking away at it again.
    I have been living like a monk lately so the bank fund is getting replenished. I am trying to save enough to have the body done. I probably have enough already but have some more "soft parts" to replace before I feel like driving around for estimates.

I am really getting sick of Photobucket!
    Every time you do anything to your album half of your links vanish! I am looking at other services and hoping to find a better way. Couldn't be a worse one! Why is it so hard to attach the link to the photo without regard for what is in the album before it!

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    Buuuuuumpity Bump Bump!
    I don't know what it is...?
    Ever since I met you, I have this irresistible urge to just let my car sit and age a few years like a fine wine.

77CDV and greencadillacmatt like this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

I hope we can see Sally running reliably soon... So you can go to next step: Body work and see more and more pics

You can try with http://postimage.org/

You donīt even have to create an account. Itīs 5 years since Iīm using it and never have had any problem. You just upload your images from computer, get the codes and paste them in the post. Thatīs all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.