Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by coldplays it has been awhile since I have lurked on this forum, today in my email I ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

Quote Originally Posted by coldplays View Post
    it has been awhile since I have lurked on this forum, today in my email I read about a restoration project on 1974 Cadillac, it was much to my delight when I found that the car is the rare Talisman edition. This thread alone had made me come back to the forum.

I wish you the best of luck in your restoration, I eagerly await more details and pictures on your progress
    I glad to bring you back into the fold. I really feel the pressure is on now!

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    This guy painted his Corvair with rustoleum and a roller and it turned out great! Here is the link:

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html
    Thank's for the link Matt. That was great because the one thing missing from the multiple Youtube vids was the follow-up. The poster did a great job to be (it seems) honest and certainly diligent in his follow-up. I was impressed with one thing he said about putting up with a few flaws for the pride of doing it himself. That is how I feel. A few minor flaws would be badges of honor to the fact that what it is, good or bad, is all me.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmudd View Post
    Congrats on the resto. I also got a notice thru my BlackBerry today about your thread and just read through it...fantastic! I just bought a 1979 Seville and am learning more and more about these old ones.
    Ohh I love Sevilles! I almost bought one back in the early 90's (1976) and then couldn't get the deal done. I've had Seville "blue b*lls" ever since! If you get a chance toss up a few pics!

Quote Originally Posted by TollKeeper View Post
    Another one that got the newsletter.. Very interesting old rig. I rather miss my 81 Cad BB6.0, and my 83 Lincoln F-Body.

Good thing you replaced that air pump. On some of the Cads thru the 70's, up until 87, they made certain functions run off the suction of the Air Pump. My 81 for example, the vacuum control module for the tranny (and a few other things) ran off the Air Pump.

I hate to say it, but I am a fan of the Antiqua Blue over the white. The white color any more just screams hospital, or government. I used to be a fan of white as well, but have since switched to silver (it hides dirt and scratches really well).
    Thanks to all of you for the kind words. Sally and I just feel like Belle's of the Ball!
    The jury is still out on color, but if I go do it yourself it would be white. If, or someday when, money were no object I would go blue.
    I have always loved white on a car with a lot of chrome. The 80's with the de-chroming of all cars really killed the beautiful combo into bland utility company cars. I think a grand old Fleet with all it's trimming in place will hopefully make you fall in love with it again. (Plus it hides questionable body work 'skills"!)

Do it Doug, Get on them old girls!

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

Hey--

As for the name: My late friend Dave, of "By Todd Coachwork," was married to Sally--for many, many years, so "Dave and Sally" really clicks wit me. Time for a musical parody: "Long, Tall Talli. . ." Seriously, sort of, "Sally" doesn't quite carry the air of sophistication and mystery a Sally should. Then I pictured my birthday mate (re/ day, not year), Mae West, and the name "Diamond Sal" came to me in a flash (not painful)! A gem can well be a talisman also.

Your car may have ALC (automatic level control) and that might affect your shock absorber choice. It helped control that mile-long rear overhang plus the extra weight of those passengers with cement overshoes being driven down to the Jersey docks. . . . .

Good thing about PS fluid--it's parafin-based, not petrol-based, and therefore more readily scrubbed. Keeping the windows clean inside and out helps give an air of "in-service" Also important is displaying current plates (registration). As you may suspect, I have a few tales to tell (when you're older) regarding the "public storage" issues of old car-owning. Neat and clean is a basically good concept, but most citizens lack the, let's say, compassion, to allow others "not like them" (words like "sterile, conforming, comfort zone, superior, resolute" etc.come to mind) to co-exist. I think it's a cultural thing, and closely related to civil rights issues. Hey. . .wait. . .. you bring that soapbox right back here. . . !

"I suffer from "COD," the guy said. "It's like "OCD," but the letters are in alphabetic order like they should be. . . . " Mayhaps we all have a touch of "CAD?" I haven't figured out what it means, yet. . . . What is the sign on the building in the background? --looks like "Malaria Man" (a clinic?). Symptoms similar to "CAD?"

Here's to putting the "diss" in "dysfunctional,"
    BCl

....all I can think of when I hear or say it is Charlie Brown's little sister....

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    ....all I can think of when I hear or say it is Charlie Brown's little sister....

Now if it was a Mustang...
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

Poke Salad Annie's first cousin?? ANyway, Dave, so mebbe you needs paint 'er Brown? Also, when "flying" down the road, think of Sally, the nun. . . . . , flying, I mean. . . .

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Bump...

Yeah yeah.....I know......spring is coming.....

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Yeah yeah.....I know......spring is coming.....
    Not that I've got ANY room to talk...

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Well since.......ahh forget it. I will Like just like this. Like

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    Not that I've got ANY room to talk...
    Damn, you beat me to it.

Classic L is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Concours / 88 Broughm D'el / 76 Coupe D'el

----------

[/COLOR]
    Took a little ride tonight.....

Got home early enough to look around a little. Back to basics...air check, fuel (sniff sniff) check, spark...spark...oops!
    Followed wires from the battery back and found battery wire off the distributor. Plugged it in and fired on first crank! Idled nicely for about 5 min while I topped off the antifreeze, checked and filled rear brake reservoir (Must be leaking somewhere), checked the oil level and then sat down and kicked it down to a nice smooth low idle. Took a couple laps of the parking lot, Checked the running lights, checked for gushing leaks, then hit the streets for a couple laps of the neighborhood.

It is an incredible POS but what a joy to take a spin in.

The wallow and float that I have not felt in thirty years, the roar and jump when you put the whip to the horses the view out of the greenhouse that is all so familiar to me and yet not experienced for so long. I am welling up as I write this. There are very few things in life that can evoke so clearly the memories and feelings of that were all part of my life so long ago. So far the running total on this car is at little over $2000.00. If I tossed the keys in the trash right now, I would be satisfied that it was money well spent, just to experience my long lost Talisman one more time.
    Yeah Dave..!!! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout bruh. I know you were tingling when you put your hand on the shifter, braced your foot on that brake and pulled the lever down to "drive"... and when it popped into gear and tried to pull away from you, you had to smile. That's why, with all I'm trying to do with my mother's car, sometime I feel I should just give it to her as is, and she'd be just as happy. Like you yourself said, your car is a real POS, but you couldn't be "much" happier driving it even if it was in flawless condition. Not that you couldn't be happier, but you're happy as can be. I could feel it in what you wrote.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Spring is here.......

Quote Originally Posted by Classic L View Post
    ----------

[/COLOR]

Yeah Dave..!!! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout bruh. I know you were tingling when you put your hand on the shifter, braced your foot on that brake and pulled the lever down to "drive"... and when it popped into gear and tried to pull away from you, you had to smile. That's why, with all I'm trying to do with my mother's car, sometime I feel I should just give it to her as is, and she'd be just as happy. Like you yourself said, your car is a real POS, but you couldn't be "much" happier driving it even if it was in flawless condition. Not that you couldn't be happier, but you're happy as can be. I could feel it in what you wrote.
    Got to get back at it again. Have been able to set aside a few dollars over the winter and need to decide what I want to do first.
    Good to hear from you again, glad mom's car is coming along too.

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyGas View Post
    Spring is here.......
    Amen to that!

gold01ca is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 74 Fleetwood Talisman, 94 Geo Metro, 02 Ford F-350 Diesel

Hi Dave,
    Read your whole thread with interest as I just inherited a 74 Talisman which will probably need as much work as yours
    Kudos to you on your work and keeping us informed.
    Looking forward to reading more on your efforts.

Thanks gold. Can't wait to get back at it now that the weather(Down here at least.) is better. Any thing I can ever help you with let me know. I am also on a Talisman mailing list through Yahoo. When you get yours you and have vin # and such you should add it to the registry there. Not a lot of activity there but still good to get in touch with other owners.
    gold01ca and gold01ca like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.