Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A garaged Cadillac is an estatic Cadillac...
    CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

A garaged Cadillac is an estatic Cadillac

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Iīm glad you enjoyed another great day driving Sally, the Talli beast You have to drive it to know which are her weak points so now you know where to start. Probably new hoses fix the P/S leak. They must be hydraulic hoses as they have to bear high pressure. Now I donīt remember exactly how they are attached to metal plugs. Probably you have to get it done by a specialized shop. If itīs only a clamp you must be sure the bolts are tightened enough not to get loose by the oil pressure but not too thight as to damage the hose (the metal clamp should not go deeper than the hose surface).

As to the electric problem, first you have to check if the alternator is charging ok. When engine is turning, the ammeter should read more than 12 V and less than 14 V. If thatīs ok, you should check for a current drainage. Check if voltage is going down and which speed. Then you should take out fuse by fuse to check if drainage stops. That will help you to get a close location of the drainage. If you have some problem to locate it, Iīm sure there are some forum members with a high expertise on this field that will help.

You have a great parking space. Itīs awesome the caddy does not stick out. I tried to leave my cadillac on my usual parking space but almost 1 meter of it was out of the space so I had to rent another one big enough. Hope you can work there without being disturbed. As you suggest, owning/driving a caddy gives you a special charisma and a lot of people you did not know before start to greet you Thatīs a magnificent place to keep the caddy during the hard winter months; as the ground seems just raw concrete, the oil leak can probably be hidden just sweeping and rubbing the dust around to the oil drops. I have some experience on this

Go for it, the restoration path is going further on

bigm57ict is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Congratulations on the progress. I enjoy following it on here. The best thing is to have it running and be able to drive it occasionally. The rest will come eventually.

So what is that pad the rear wheels are sitting on in the garage? Compensating for a sloping floor?
    That last photo shows off one of my favorite things about the pre-'77 Cadillacs - that tremendous rear overhang

I'm glad you have understanding neighbors. I'm sure your own attitude and personality are a big factor there. Have you considered giving it a quick rattle-can paint job to tide it over until you can get it properly repainted? That would at least have it looking respectable from a distance.

I can definitely sympathize on the PS leak. My car was banished to street parking for quite a while over the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    When I repaint, I mean replace, mine it will be the same! I also agree that people should do with their cars whatever blows their skirts up!
    However, as is always my policy....Everyone's intitled to MY opinion!
    That gave me a good laugh.
    That should be our new forum motto.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    Iīm glad you enjoyed another great day driving Sally, the Talli beast You have to drive it to know which are her weak points so now you know where to start. Probably new hoses fix the P/S leak. They must be hydraulic hoses as they have to bear high pressure. Now I donīt remember exactly how they are attached to metal plugs. Probably you have to get it done by a specialized shop. If itīs only a clamp you must be sure the bolts are tightened enough not to get loose by the oil pressure but not too thight as to damage the hose (the metal clamp should not go deeper than the hose surface).

As to the electric problem, first you have to check if the alternator is charging ok. When engine is turning, the ammeter should read more than 12 V and less than 14 V. If thatīs ok, you should check for a current drainage. Check if voltage is going down and which speed. Then you should take out fuse by fuse to check if drainage stops. That will help you to get a close location of the drainage. If you have some problem to locate it, Iīm sure there are some forum members with a high expertise on this field that will help.

You have a great parking space. Itīs awesome the caddy does not stick out. I tried to leave my cadillac on my usual parking space but almost 1 meter of it was out of the space so I had to rent another one big enough. Hope you can work there without being disturbed. As you suggest, owning/driving a caddy gives you a special charisma and a lot of people you did not know before start to greet you Thatīs a magnificent place to keep the caddy during the hard winter months; as the ground seems just raw concrete, the oil leak can probably be hidden just sweeping and rubbing the dust around to the oil drops. I have some experience on this

Go for it, the restoration path is going further on
    Yeah, life is good for the Caddy....I fear my Volvo may rebel in a mechanical manor if I don't have a stall come open soon!

As Luke said, A garaged Cadillac is an ecstatic Cadillac.....an expelled Volvo may be a vengeful Volvo!

I was surprised how well it fit and happy to see I have room around it to move. The stall next to me where I took the side photo from is only used Thur-Sun so that gives me some more room. The garage has longer stalls on the end so it helps to be there.

There were only two different hoses on ebay to fit power steering on a 74 Fleetwood so I ordered them both. I haven't looked at it yet and the manual lacks a really good picture or drawing of what I face but will figure it out when I get to it. Once I get that done, on to the Hell-ectrical system.

Already swept the whole garage floor onto the spill the night it happened! The next day I picked up all the needed items to clean the crime scene. (Think Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction.)

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    Congratulations on the progress. I enjoy following it on here. The best thing is to have it running and be able to drive it occasionally. The rest will come eventually.

So what is that pad the rear wheels are sitting on in the garage? Compensating for a sloping floor?
    That last photo shows off one of my favorite things about the pre-'77 Cadillacs - that tremendous rear overhang

I'm glad you have understanding neighbors. I'm sure your own attitude and personality are a big factor there. Have you considered giving it a quick rattle-can paint job to tide it over until you can get it properly repainted? That would at least have it looking respectable from a distance.

I can definitely sympathize on the PS leak. My car was banished to street parking for quite a while over the same issue.

That gave me a good laugh.
    That should be our new forum motto.
    I am glad you enjoy being along for the ride. This thread helps me a lot. The feedback I get is the obvious way. The less obvious and more important is the release I get "getting it out of my system", the thinking out loud processing of what is done, and needs to be done, and the fact that when I see I haven't posted for a while I feel more compelled to get something done to write about!

The blocks are because the garage has a 2 foot wide curb/sidewalk/thing all the way around it. where the wall jogs back it left one side on top of it and one off. When I get PS fixed I want to pull it forward about a foot so I can walk around the back. That will get it off the curb. I may keep the blocks anyway, gives me a couple more inches of clearance under it.

So far I have kept the neighbors at bay.
    Rattle can would have been an option in warmer weather but now that I am indoors among other peoples car it is out. I spent a night watching people doing rustoleum paint jobs with rollers by thinning down the paint. Quite remarkable results. I think once I get a little wet sanding done I will use that method to apply a very thin coat of White primer. That would help to have it all one color and also to decide what I want to do color wise. If it seems to work I may even try a panel or two in proper paint? I painted our forklift last year with a small foam roller and regular rustoleum and was not careful at all. We were all surprised how well it came out. With real prep and care in application it might work out good enough for what I want this car to be. Just looking for a fun driver that I can be seen parking without being embarrassed. (I know...shoot for the stars with my expectations.)

Yeah, life is good for the Caddy....I fear my Volvo may rebel in a mechanical manor if I don't have a stall come open soon!

As Luke said, A garaged Cadillac is an ecstatic Cadillac.....an expelled Volvo may be a vengeful Volvo!
    For one or two months -while I was looking a definite home for Rex- my daily driver, an Audi A3, had to live in the street but no resentment in spite he was 11 years old. Itīs not the place; itīs the age though here Winter is not as extreme as in Wisconsin. Nevertheless, my other classic car -A '73 Dodge- started a chain of breakdowns and problems when he had been well cared and maintained so far. The conclusion is that the Dodge was jealous of all the cares received by his new brother

Already swept the whole garage floor onto the spill the night it happened! The next day I picked up all the needed items to clean the crime scene. (Think Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction.)
    What a good neighbour you are, Dave. They should be very happy with you

Rattle can would have been an option in warmer weather but now that I am indoors among other peoples car it is out. I spent a night watching people doing rustoleum paint jobs with rollers by thinning down the paint. Quite remarkable results. I think once I get a little wet sanding done I will use that method to apply a very thin coat of White primer. That would help to have it all one color and also to decide what I want to do color wise. If it seems to work I may even try a panel or two in proper paint? I painted our forklift last year with a small foam roller and regular rustoleum and was not careful at all. We were all surprised how well it came out. With real prep and care in application it might work out good enough for what I want this car to be. Just looking for a fun driver that I can be seen parking without being embarrassed. (I know...shoot for the stars with my expectations.)
    Thatīs a really good idea You can paint it provisionally by yourself using the rustoleum method to enjoy the car for some months or the first year until all the mechanic problems are solved. The primer idea is really good

Hey, this thread has been included in December 2012 edition of the Cadillacforums.com newsletter!

A lot of expectation on your Talli, Dave

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69
    Hey, this thread has been included in December 2012 edition of the Cadillacforums.com newsletter!

A lot of expectation on your Talli, Dave
    We have a newsletter?

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

It's the talk of the forum! And rightly so! Dave is truckin' right along!

Good luck once you get to the hellectricals You'll need it. My CIGLTR1 fuse keeps blowing for some reason, and that means I can't play my Ipod. Can't have that!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24
    It's the talk of the forum! And rightly so! Dave is truckin' right along!

Good luck once you get to the hellectricals You'll need it. My CIGLTR1 fuse keeps blowing for some reason, and that means I can't play my Ipod. Can't have that!
    Use the tape deck (or get the 10 disc trunk mounted cd changer)...problem solved.
    Also, are any of your cig lighters stuck in the down position or have crap shoved in them?

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Yeah I was shocked when I opened my email today! Now I feel I have to get working on it!

coldplays is offline Cadillac Owners Member

it has been awhile since I have lurked on this forum, today in my email I read about a restoration project on 1974 Cadillac, it was much to my delight when I found that the car is the rare Talisman edition. This thread alone had made me come back to the forum.

I wish you the best of luck in your restoration, I eagerly await more details and pictures on your progress
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

This guy painted his Corvair with rustoleum and a roller and it turned out great! Here is the link:

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html

scottmudd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Current 1987 Brougham, 1979 Seville, 1994, 1998, 2006 SDV's

Congrats on the resto. I also got a notice thru my BlackBerry today about your thread and just read through it...fantastic! I just bought a 1979 Seville and am learning more and more about these old ones.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Very cool.
    I'm getting excited about bringing the hearses back to life (ok, small pun intended) this year. Both have been sitting for a while. Inside thankfully.

TollKeeper is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Another one that got the newsletter.. Very interesting old rig. I rather miss my 81 Cad BB6.0, and my 83 Lincoln F-Body.

Good thing you replaced that air pump. On some of the Cads thru the 70's, up until 87, they made certain functions run off the suction of the Air Pump. My 81 for example, the vacuum control module for the tranny (and a few other things) ran off the Air Pump.

I hate to say it, but I am a fan of the Antiqua Blue over the white. The white color any more just screams hospital, or government. I used to be a fan of white as well, but have since switched to silver (it hides dirt and scratches really well).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.