Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I learned the diff fluid lesson from your experience! Even though I don't need to pay a fortune to ship ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

I learned the diff fluid lesson from your experience! Even though I don't need to pay a fortune to ship one I still don't want to ruin a good one.

It is sad to be heading into winter and only now feeling fit enough to work on it. The registration here is all payed for life. $150.00 and that is all I ever have to give the government! The only restriction on it as a collector vehicle is I can not drive it in the month of Feb. without buying a special permit. So the only cost to me is the insurance, which I have on it already anyway. Once I get a few of the first steps done I will be able to drive it on any nice dry days no matter how cold.
    It was indeed a good day!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave
    I learned the diff fluid lesson from your experience! Even though I don't need to pay a fortune to ship one I still don't want to ruin a good one.

It is sad to be heading into winter and only now feeling fit enough to work on it. The registration here is all payed for life. $150.00 and that is all I ever have to give the government! The only restriction on it as a collector vehicle is I can not drive it in the month of Feb. without buying a special permit. So the only cost to me is the insurance, which I have on it already anyway. Once I get a few of the first steps done I will be able to drive it on any nice dry days no matter how cold.
    WTG Dave!!!
    I'd love to see the faces of the local hipsters when you roll up next to their prius/insight in that massive imposing gas guzzling behemoth.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Better learning by others mistakes

Glad to know your car is ready to have all the rides you want just for $150!! forever. If I wanted to do this here I should pay $ 975-1300, so I registered my caddy in a city friendly with +25 years old cars where my girl lives, 19 miles from home, so I donīt have to pay taxes (By the moment as town halls are thirsty in this country). U.S. is a great nation -at least for classic car owners-.

new cars are more ecologic, fuel efficient safer, etc. but never as impressive as an old school caddy.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    new cars are more ecologic, fuel efficient safer, etc. but never as impressive as an old school caddy.
    Amen dude. There is NOTHING as imposing, epic, or badass as an old Cadillac
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

OK, I'll bite. What's so special about February?

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post

I think it was chosen because it was in the dead of winter and is the shortest month. The $150 for life lic. and regist. is a huge savings they wanted to reserve only for people who are truly using them for collector cars. It is open to any car in original form (Had to send photos to prove no modifications of all four sides, engine and interior!) and 20 years old. I think they wanted to avoid people just getting by cheap on old driver grade cars.

You must also have one full regular registration and actually $50 of that fee was for the collector number, additional cars can be added for $100/car after that. Subsequent cars would have the same number as the Talisman followed by a letter starting at A.

If I needed to take it to or from a shop in Feb it is $50 for a 2 week permit.

So...no reason

I think it was chosen because it was in the dead of winter and is the shortest month. The $150 for life lic. and regist. is a huge savings they wanted to reserve only for people who are truly using them for collector cars. It is open to any car in original form (Had to send photos to prove no modifications of all four sides, engine and interior!) and 20 years old. I think they wanted to avoid people just getting by cheap on old driver grade cars.

You must also have one full regular registration and actually $50 of that fee was for the collector number, additional cars can be added for $100/car after that. Subsequent cars would have the same number as the Talisman followed by a letter starting at A.

If I needed to take it to or from a shop in Feb it is $50 for a 2 week permit.

So...no reason
    Darn...I guess I can't get collector plates in WI

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Wow! Here in KS, the only requirement is that the car be at least 35 years old and be original configuration. However, no ever asked for any proof of this. I've seen rat rods driving around with "Antique" plates.
    Another cool thing they have done in recent years: You can get a regular white plate that says KS ANTIQUE with a number OR, if you find an original plate from the same year as your car, you can register it using that plate. (Kansas used to issue a new plate every year). I've already got my 1979 plate ready to register my coupe for 2014.

The only cost is the specialty plate fee, which is less than the cost of 2 years worth of regular registration. It becomes a permanent plate and you only pay your yearly $12 property tax.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Darn...I guess I can't get collector plates in WI
    Well, you could on the 86 and once you have a collector number you could get a collector plate on your van, but it would still require the normal annual registration fee.
    My collector number is the 173113, and that is the plate on Tally. I could get 173113A on my Volvo if I wanted. But it wouldn't save me any money, just let me show I am a "collector". (whoopie)
    Actually if I had a really cool group of old cars it might be cool, but one clapped out old Fleetwood?....I'd feel sort of silly.

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    Wow! Here in KS, the only requirement is that the car be at least 35 years old and be original configuration. However, no ever asked for any proof of this. I've seen rat rods driving around with "Antique" plates.
    Another cool thing they have done in recent years: You can get a regular white plate that says KS ANTIQUE with a number OR, if you find an original plate from the same year as your car, you can register it using that plate. (Kansas used to issue a new plate every year). I've already got my 1979 plate ready to register my coupe for 2014.

The only cost is the specialty plate fee, which is less than the cost of 2 years worth of regular registration. It becomes a permanent plate and you only pay your yearly $12 property tax.
    That is cool that some states let you run vintage plates as an actual licence.
    Wisconsin may do that on the antique plate (over 50 old) but I am not sure.
    As far as the photos WI required and stock condition, I could have taken a photo of anybodies 74 and sent it to them, and the car already looks nothing like it did in the photos...so...I think you could get away with about anything!

Well, you could on the 86 and once you have a collector number you could get a collector plate on your van, but it would still require the normal annual registration fee.
    My collector number is the 173113, and that is the plate on Tally. I could get 173113A on my Volvo if I wanted. But it wouldn't save me any money, just let me show I am a "collector". (whoopie)
    Actually if I had a really cool group of old cars it might be cool, but one clapped out old Fleetwood?....I'd feel sort of silly.

That is cool that some states let you run vintage plates as an actual licence.
    Wisconsin may do that on the antique plate (over 50 old) but I am not sure.
    As far as the photos WI required and stock condition, I could have taken a photo of anybodies 74 and sent it to them, and the car already looks nothing like it did in the photos...so...I think you could get away with about anything!
    ^thats what I was wondering about (the pictures). No way mine would pass for stock now.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    A name?

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

I suspect I'm a bit late on this, but: use NO WD-40 on the ignition switch or other lock parts. If you use contact cleaner, protect other areas from overspray, then, after volatiles have neutralized, lubricate well with graphite or silicon lube (spray)--WD stays viscous and attracts and holds dust, thus "sandpapering" your tumblers, etc. Sandpaper baaaad.

I've learned that cleaning and lubing and replacing soft parts, plus attention to ignition and fuel supply are the most critical to start-up. Your situation is similar to that for my 1958 "62" 2-dr/ht and '69 Eldo. Replace the rubber fuel line betw tank and metal line (oft collapses or allows air to be sucked in), and rubber vacuum lines. Put rags over wiper arms if accidentally activating switch would cause "sandpapering of windshield. Sanding baaaad. Inspect and pre-test brakes if you plan to move car, check fluid levels (trans is tricky since must be checked hot, but I oft add some to tip of cold stick. Resist temptation of long tour--give 'er a rest to allow seals to plump up if they are going to, etc. Check fuses and note which are blown if not critical to start-up. You can check all electrical later. After it all looks promising, you can do trans filter/tune up, oil/filter change (soon after start-up, earlier than prescribed for next one.), carb rebuild and all the fun stuff of reconditioning/restoring in the land of love/hate. . . .

I'd like to find tires like the radial whitewall on your car. It is so "period," and looks a bunch better than inappropriate-width "gangstas." But it's YOUR car, so do what though wilst!

BTW, after polish/seal/wax job both of my long-term "Sitters," they looked and ran pretty much like new! Now, they've been sitting a long while, and I must follow my own advice. . . . . .

BC

----------

One more thing: be sure your battery/electrical grounds are clean and tight.
    And, when you are older, I'll tell you the story of my friend Mark's mom, Beverly, and why she drove down Ventura Bouleverd in her '74 Talisman, horns honking and lights flashing!
    BC

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

BC, Welcome to the fun here on the forum. YOU are a character! I love it!

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

Thanks fer noticin' Bro Bro-Ham! They say only people of real character drive Cads. . . .um, make that: only real Characters drive Cads. . . . I have bushels of evidence, too. When you are older, I'll tell you about my visit in '95 to the Doc who delivered me, and who bought a new Cadillac EVERY year (and still did, tho he could no longer drive!).

I will say that in my various travels to make-specific car shows, I have always had the mos' fun with the Cad/LaSalle folk.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    A name?
    Nah...a little too "on the nose".

Maybe Sally,.....Sally the Tali???

Quote Originally Posted by akaBC View Post
    ....use NO WD-40 on the ignition switch or other lock parts. If you use contact cleaner, protect other areas from overspray, then, after volatiles have neutralized, lubricate well with graphite or silicon lube (spray)--WD stays viscous and attracts and holds dust, thus "sandpapering" your tumblers, etc. Sandpaper baaaad.

I've learned that cleaning and lubing and replacing soft parts, plus attention to ignition and fuel supply are the most critical to start-up. Replace the rubber fuel line betw tank and metal line (oft collapses or allows air to be sucked in), and rubber vacuum lines. Put rags over wiper arms if accidentally activating switch would cause "sandpapering of windshield. Sanding baaaad.

I'd like to find tires like the radial whitewall on your car. It is so "period," and looks a bunch better than inappropriate-width "gangstas." But it's YOUR car, so do what though wilst!

One more thing: be sure your battery/electrical grounds are clean and tight.
    And, when you are older, I'll tell you the story of my friend Mark's mom, Beverly, and why she drove down Ventura Bouleverd in her '74 Talisman, horns honking and lights flashing!
    BC

If I haven't said it already, welcome to the forum. (If I have..well..welcome to my thread!)

Preaching to the choir on the nothing but graphite in a lock. 26 year of hardware work I give that instruction at least two or three times a week. Not a fan of silicone either, but have allowed recently the exception of Teflon (PTFE) dry lube sprays. I always use/recommend aerosol lock de-icer to clean first. drys quickly, leaves no residue, is cheap and readily available (Around these parts.) and harms no materials.

I have the it running great, fires right up and idles smoothly. I am doing a challenging balancing act on this project. I need to get mechanical and body work done in an area in which working on a car is not allowed. (Apartment parking lot and garage.) I need to have it (get it?) ready to move to another spot on a days notice if requested to do so. I need to get it looking presentable enough not to rile neighbors or management. That is why my resto work is all over the map between body and mechanical. So far neighbors have all been welcoming and encouraging of the Beast.
    Management almost had it towed at one point because it didn't have a steering wheel and was therefore not driveable. When I called the girl in the office I told her "Come on over and I will have the wheel in it and take you for a ride around the block!" She laughed and declined. A few weeks later when I renewed my lease (For year #11) she ask how the project was going, so I think I'm cool with them as long as I don't piss someone here off. (I wish I could be that smooth and charming on my own behalf, I might not be single!)

I am with you all the way on the proper classic white wall tires. When I repaint, I mean replace, mine it will be the same! I also agree that people should do with their cars whatever blows their skirts up!
    However, as is always my policy....Everyone's intitled to MY opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    BC, Welcome to the fun here on the forum. YOU are a character! I love it!
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Quote Originally Posted by akaBC View Post
    Thanks fer noticin' Bro Bro-Ham! They say only people of real character drive Cads. . . .um, make that: only real Characters drive Cads. . . . I have bushels of evidence, too. When you are older, I'll tell you about my visit in '95 to the Doc who delivered me, and who bought a new Cadillac EVERY year (and still did, tho he could no longer drive!).

I will say that in my various travels to make-specific car shows, I have always had the mos' fun with the Cad/LaSalle folk.

BC
    I think you will also enjoy yourself here, you seem to be a good fit to our little dis-functional family!

Now, to Talisman news, fired it up and took a little longer trip today. Drove over to the shopping center to check running, brake, backup and signal light operation in the windows.
    Old trick I learned from the mechanics at the dealership I worked at. (Always wondered why they backed up to the showroom after their test drive of customers cars.)

Fired and ran great but was dead when I went to start and had to charge battery first, (Also was dead 5 min after I parked it and wanted to move it forward a couple feet). The steering started making noise on way home and left a trail in the garage as I was parking it so that has now moved to the top of the to do list! Has to be a hose for as much as it dropped and how fast. (I assume?)

Oops...Think they will know it was me?

Otherwise the drive turned up no other critical concerns. My plan was to clean engine and replace all hoses anyway so I will just start with PS first. Needs shocks all around, helper spring ones in back. Have to look into the whole electrical system. No charge first, and then probably shorts...lots of shorts! I hate electrical problems so it will be a real challenge to get it all squared away. I will soon learn what that multi-meter I bought years ago is for and how to use it!

So, a good day and the Beast is tucked in, in it's new home.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.