Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

Hi Dave,

In the last weeks Iīve had little time and I can only enter the forum some minutes from time to time but I see your project keeps going on. The wheel has turned out really great and trunk lock crest looks awesome. I see you are qualified for the detailing work.

When the time has come youīll paint your caddy, fix the interior details (not so bad; look how mine was at first) and start running the car. BTW, how is engine and tranny working? Do they need any repair or just maintenance work?

These cars make people you never talked with come close to you and start a conversation. Itīs curious the attraction these old vehicles exerts on many people. You have got a great cover for the winter months that will protect your car while it waits for your loving care.

Painting the car in its original color always is a plus for its value but if you are sure white is your color go ahead. This car will be a beauty with both colors. After all itīs a car you are not planning to sell. Just consider if you decide painting it in a color different from original youīll have to strip down a good part of the car if you want to do it the right way like outsider did when he painted his '69 Calais (check his '69 Calais restoration thread): http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...on-thread.html

This is a pic of your car in white:

3789598875_a201c4539d.jpg

And this could be in its original color (though this is really a '76):

5164758557_f93439d7a0.jpg

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Pretty close! The '76 is in "Innsbruck Blue" a very close shade to "Antigua Blue" used on the 74.
    Bear in mind that if you change colors, there's a lot of spraying to be done in tight places such as door jams, inner wells and compartments, and other places that one might not think about.
    Seeing as the car is not entirely together this does make it a little easier.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by jbob02 View Post
    hi dave ,thanks for the intro
    i will have pics shortly
    hey ,does your baby have a 3.15 controlled diff?
    i been looking long and hard for one
    i have met up with a guy recently who has one but the axles are std and short so it might not work for me
    mine has the rear console like yours will have
    jess
    Jess, I doubt that mine does since it was purchased through Hubacher Cadillac in Sacramento CA but I haven't checked the option codes yet. Can't wait to see your ride!

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    Hi Dave,

In the last weeks Iīve had little time and I can only enter the forum some minutes from time to time but I see your project keeps going on. The wheel has turned out really great and trunk lock crest looks awesome. I see you are qualified for the detailing work.

When the time has come youīll paint your caddy, fix the interior details (not so bad; look how mine was at first) and start running the car. BTW, how is engine and tranny working? Do they need any repair or just maintenance work?

These cars make people you never talked with come close to you and start a conversation. Itīs curious the attraction these old vehicles exerts on many people. You have got a great cover for the winter months that will protect your car while it waits for your loving care.

Painting the car in its original color always is a plus for its value but if you are sure white is your color go ahead. This car will be a beauty with both colors. After all itīs a car you are not planning to sell. Just consider if you decide painting it in a color different from original youīll have to strip down a good part of the car if you want to do it the right way like outsider did when he painted his '69 Calais (check his '69 Calais restoration thread): http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...on-thread.html

This is a pic of your car in white:

Attachment 100121

And this could be in its original color (though this is really a '76):

Attachment 100122
    Good to hear from you and see you around these parts again. I did notice you had gone quiet for a while, glad all is well. Thanks for the photos, I love both looks. I will put them up as screen saver shots and see how living with them for a while feels. As you point out resale value is not an issue and with the bad repaint on it now any color will be lots of work. Mechanical has not been addressed yet. There are sure to be issues there. So far only drove it from work where it was delivered to my home. never got it over 20 MPH. The cover is only until I can get a spot in my underground parking, or a warehouse where I can work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    Pretty close! The '76 is in "Innsbruck Blue" a very close shade to "Antigua Blue" used on the 74.
    Bear in mind that if you change colors, there's a lot of spraying to be done in tight places such as door jams, inner wells and compartments, and other places that one might not think about.
    Seeing as the car is not entirely together this does make it a little easier.
    The car has had a complete really bad paint job, on top of that when the bad failed they either skim coated the whole back end with filler or covered it all with an extremely thick primer. (1/16 of an inch?) Prep work is going to be immense no matter which way I go. Luckily I am aiming for a fun good looking driver so good enough is good enough!
    The Innsbruck looks a little bolder blue than the Antigua. The Antigua looks a bit more understated if photos do them justice.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    J Thanks for the photos, I love both looks. I will put them up as screen saver shots and see how living with them for a while feels. As you point out resale value is not an issue and with the bad repaint on it now any color will be lots of work. Mechanical has not been addressed yet. There are sure to be issues there. So far only drove it from work where it was delivered to my home. never got it over 20 MPH. The cover is only until I can get a spot in my underground parking, or a warehouse where I can work on it.
    Watching both looks for a time probably will make the decision easier. It will slowly mature on your mind: Totally white is timeless; always looks good. Blue-white combo emphasizes the classic flavour of the car.

Itīs good moving the car from time to time by your parking lot if only. Long time sat cars deteriorate progressively. Just check engine and tranny oil level before. They like to feel alive

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

The Innsbruck Blue has a silvery shimmer to it, whereas Anitgua blue is less silver and more blue. They are close tho.

Well I spent thanksgiving working on the project. Finally rested and healed enough to post. I installed the A.I.R. pump and belt that had been on the shelf for months. The old one was seized up and therefore no belt to run alternator.
    Couldn't get it up to bring it out from below like the FSM called for so instead pulled the alt and brackets to bring it out the top. While I had it opened up I dropped the lower radiator hose and just as I suspected it was all or almost all water in it. So I will have several issues when I get into it. First if it was all water it probably has a leak that they didn't want to keep putting coolant in. Second, who knows how long it was that way, and therefore how bad it is inside.
    So tonight I brought home a couple gallons of AF and put the battery in and tried starting it and couldn't get it to fire up. So after work tomorrow I will have to get back on it.

Glad to know the mechanic resto has just begun Thatīs right: Water in the cooling circuit is no good. Letīs see what happens when the engine runs: Maybe there is a leak by some hose or by water pump.

The caddy has turned lazy since the last time you fired it up. Probably itīs more difficult to start due to low temperature as choke does not work properly. Try to pour some gas on the carb and see what happens. If no success, check if you get some spark when cranking the engine. Best way is some other spark plug connected to the wire contacting on the inside fender so you can see it from inside. Better if someone helps you cranking the engine so you just watch the spark.

Frequently I see on Youtube people trying to start these old cars (many cadillacs) pumping and pumping and pumping the gas pedal. That way they are flooding the carb. If the gas pump works ok, in 10 second max. cranking you have gas in the carb without touching the pedal. Thatīs the way Rex starts after some weeks sat.

Good luck. It has to fire up

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Hey Dave, have you had a look inside the radiator? Depending on where the car hails from (warmer climates that don't need anti-freeze to keep the engine block from splitting in the dead of winter), they could have used straight water but put in an additive. Some companies back then (and still do, I think) made an additive for cooling systems that just run water. They contain anti-corrosives and lubricants for the water pump, so the system might not be as bad as you think. Although if the inside of your radiator looks like a coral reef like mine did, it might be time for some boiling out. Good luck, and I'm always excited to see updates on your magnificent Talisman.

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    Glad to know the mechanic resto has just begun Thatīs right: Water in the cooling circuit is no good. Letīs see what happens when the engine runs: Maybe there is a leak by some hose or by water pump.

The caddy has turned lazy since the last time you fired it up. Probably itīs more difficult to start due to low temperature as choke does not work properly. Try to pour some gas on the carb and see what happens. If no success, check if you get some spark when cranking the engine. Best way is some other spark plug connected to the wire contacting on the inside fender so you can see it from inside. Better if someone helps you cranking the engine so you just watch the spark.

Frequently I see on Youtube people trying to start these old cars (many cadillacs) pumping and pumping and pumping the gas pedal. That way they are flooding the carb. If the gas pump works ok, in 10 second max. cranking you have gas in the carb without touching the pedal. Thatīs the way Rex starts after some weeks sat.

Good luck. It has to fire up
    Yeah it feels good to be back on it again. It shouldn't be too hard to start it fired up real well the three or four times I moved it over the summer. The last time was only 4 months ago so it should pop off for me. It was so cold and I was having battery problems so I just quit for the night. I also didn't have the steering wheel in so I didn't want to just run it in place I wanted to go around the block a little and see what I could learn and then park in my underground spot so I can tinker on it inside. That means the Volvo will be out in the cold until I can secure another stall inside.

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    Hey Dave, have you had a look inside the radiator? Depending on where the car hails from (warmer climates that don't need anti-freeze to keep the engine block from splitting in the dead of winter), they could have used straight water but put in an additive. Some companies back then (and still do, I think) made an additive for cooling systems that just run water. They contain anti-corrosives and lubricants for the water pump, so the system might not be as bad as you think. Although if the inside of your radiator looks like a coral reef like mine did, it might be time for some boiling out. Good luck, and I'm always excited to see updates on your magnificent Talisman.
    I think you are right Matt. I popped the cap and looked in with a flashlight and It had rust but very minor surface looking and possibly just from the level being so low. The car lived it's whole life with the original owner in Sacramento CA so I think you hit the nail on the head on your guess.

I went out tonight and pulled the 6 month old POS battery I got from Autozone out and took it back to them. They agreed it was bad and refunded purchase price toward an AGM battery of a larger size. Came home and installed the steering wheel and called it a night. Tomorrow I hope to get done at my folks house early enough to come home and get her fired and take a ride ending with it parked in my underground stall (fingers crossed). Rules don't allow working on a car in garage, but as long as I don't get carried away I can get a lot of little stuff done.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Glad it doesn't look like the Great Barrier Reef in there, Dave! Hope it fires right up for you. Did you get the carb un-gummed enough so it's not at that crazy "idle" any more?

Got it cleaned up pretty good we will see. I did find a cruise servo diaphragm that was cracked creating an open vac line, have that plugged now. I don't know if that would effect it or not, but I know vac leaks can cause problems.

Took a little ride tonight.....

Got home early enough to look around a little. Back to basics...air check, fuel (sniff sniff) check, spark...spark...oops!
    Followed wires from the battery back and found battery wire off the distributor. Plugged it in and fired on first crank! Idled nicely for about 5 min while I topped off the antifreeze, checked and filled rear brake reservoir (Must be leaking somewhere), checked the oil level and then sat down and kicked it down to a nice smooth low idle. Took a couple laps of the parking lot, Checked the running lights, checked for gushing leaks, then hit the streets for a couple laps of the neighborhood.

It is an incredible POS but what a joy to take a spin in.

The wallow and float that I have not felt in thirty years, the roar and jump when you put the whip to the horses the view out of the greenhouse that is all so familiar to me and yet not experienced for so long. I am welling up as I write this. There are very few things in life that can evoke so clearly the memories and feelings of that were all part of my life so long ago. So far the running total on this car is at little over $2000.00. If I tossed the keys in the trash right now, I would be satisfied that it was money well spent, just to experience my long lost Talisman one more time.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Took a little ride tonight.....

Got home early enough to look around a little. Back to basics...air check, fuel (sniff sniff) check, spark...spark...oops!
    Followed wires from the battery back and found battery wire off the distributor. Plugged it in and fired on first crank! Idled nicely for about 5 min while I topped off the antifreeze, checked and filled rear brake reservoir (Must be leaking somewhere), checked the oil level and then sat down and kicked it down to a nice smooth low idle. Took a couple laps of the parking lot, Checked the running lights, checked for gushing leaks, then hit the streets for a couple laps of the neighborhood.

It is an incredible POS but what a joy to take a spin in.

The wallow and float that I have not felt in thirty years, the roar and jump when you put the whip to the horses the view out of the greenhouse that is all so familiar to me and yet not experienced for so long. I am welling up as I write this. There are very few things in life that can evoke so clearly the memories and feelings of that were all part of my life so long ago. So far the running total on this car is at little over $2000.00. If I tossed the keys in the trash right now, I would be satisfied that it was money well spent, just to experience my long lost Talisman one more time.
    SHE LIVES!!!!!!

No, she's not a junker, she's just been neglected, and you're bringing her back!

Man Dave, looks great so far! You are doin' a great job! Just keep at it and you'll be travelin' in Cadillac style in no time

Glad to hear that memories have been rekindled. That is never ever ever a bad feeling

It sure fires up nice and easy. Now the laundry list is getting longer. I got the rear window back in before I fired it up. Now it is fluids time. Oil like chocolate syrup, brake fluid loss somewhere, trans filter and refill. On the test drive the power steering started making noise so have to check that, probably pump and fluid. Also have to see where the coolant went/is going. Oil change I think I can do here. Trans I may have to take somewhere. might be more than an apt parking lot can handle. Differential fluid and brake problem I should be able to do.

Total success Dave!! Sheīs a champ. Just the wire in its place and it starts at the first crank after 4 months!

These cars were very well designed and built to last (at least mechanically). You only have to solve minor leak issues and do the maintenance work that was not done for years. Good you are going to check differential lube level. Itīs an important issue frequently neglected; I learnt it the hard way. Later it would be good checking tie rods, another potentially weak point. You may take the opportunity when you get the tranny oil/filter changed while the car is on the elevator.

I think it wonīt take much work to have her reliably running. That will encourage you still more to go on with the process. Too bad we are close to winter so maybe itīs not worth yet to update papers and pay taxes to drive it legally.

Next step could be paint work but until you decide the color you want for her you could enjoy it for some months taking some short rides by the neighbourhood. Iīm glad you have enjoyed so much this time. In fact, driving a cadillac is better than a bottle of prozac. You have a good one, my friend. Just some maintenance and a good paint, some accessory overhauling and you will have a great car. Upholstery issues can be fixed with no hurry.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.