Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by talismandave It hasn't given me it's name yet. He or she is being very tight lipped and ...
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    It hasn't given me it's name yet. He or she is being very tight lipped and we have not gotten to introductions yet. I am sure at some point it will pop up when I least expect it.

I believe in an organic naming process instead of sitting trying to come up with one.

Someday I will call it a name in anger or joy and think "That's it!" Or a friend will look at it and make a comment that sparks my fire. Or perhaps I will see a person on TV or in movies who's character reminds me of the cars attributes.

It will come somehow. When it does, my forum family will get a birth announcement right here.
    Maybe he starts telling you its secrets as you talk with it while you are bringing it back to its splendor times

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I was old enough enjoy the cars and Susan St.James!
    77CDV, 77CDV, CADforce69 and 1 others like this.

Well finally have something done to report. Finished the steering wheel and it came out better than I thought it would.

The uneven wood ended up looking smooth when filled over with polyurethane. The out-of-round wood/rim line I was able to cover with a slightly wider chrome stripe tape. I did learn that clear enamel is too volatile to go over polyurethane. Oops....so...after more sanding and touch up painting, then more poly, I was all set.

I also finished painting my assorted crests I have that had lost their plastic and/or color. Have one coat of poly over that and will need one more of exterior poly to seal and level the finish.

I also cleaned all the stuff that could freeze out of the trunk. I went into photobucket and organized the photos and created more specified sub-albums on, so any of you who were following me, it won't work anymore. I reset my uploads to go to a temporary file so you won't get notices for a bunch of stuff that is unrelated to the Talisman. (Sorry for that in the past!) The new link is... http://s1153.photobucket.com/albums/.../talismandave/

Here it is with the twenty, yes, twenty cracks that needed filling.

...and now...

The trunk crest.

70eldo, 70eldo, Bro-Ham and 11 others like this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

I cannot like that post enough Dave. That wheel looks great! Its hard to believe it is the same wheel.

tsgrpr97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 74 Coupe DeVille, 99 DeVille D'Elegance (diamond white)
    Wow! I'm going to send you my steering wheel

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

HOLY CRAP! Fantastic job on the steering wheel! She's comin' along great!!

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS THREAD EARLIER?!?!?!?

Helluva car, Dave. And if you do paint it white, be careful. It's a well-known fact around here that I randomly acquire cars that are that particular color.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Dave,

You are truly a car guy!

The steering wheel looks great! Did you put the chrome edge on the rim after the wood or before?

Does your car have a power passenger seat recliner?

I can imagine all the smiles this car must give you.

75CoupeDevilleGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 75 CDV Cab. ACRS & sun roof 75.5 Seville #918 of 2000

Look'n good! Great find, and it looks like you'll have quite a looker when you're done!

Thanks for all the kudos guys. It feels good to get back to it again. It's hard to do all that paint work in a 1 bedroom apartment. I have to put plastic over everything. The place looks like Dexter's kill room!

Quote Originally Posted by tsgrpr97 View Post
    Wow! I'm going to send you my steering wheel
    ...there isn't enough money in the world to get me to do another one!

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS THREAD EARLIER?!?!?!?

Helluva car, Dave. And if you do paint it white, be careful. It's a well-known fact around here that I randomly acquire cars that are that particular color.
    I am still up in the air on the color. My absolute favorite color on an old Cadillac is white, yet I have never owned a white one. I feel this is my chance to finally have one. Then it will rain and I see how nice the original Jennifer blue looks glossy and I am on the fence again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Dave,

You are truly a car guy!

The steering wheel looks great! Did you put the chrome edge on the rim after the wood or before?

Does your car have a power passenger seat recliner?

I can imagine all the smiles this car must give you.
    The wood went in the groove left by the old plastic strip. I then applied the chrome pin stripe tape and filled over with several thick coats of poly. The wood ended up very uneven and the poly covered it well and the only "tell" was the wavering chrome. So to fix that, I then put a wider chrome over the poly to correct it, and then a few more coats to hide the raised stripe.

Passenger manual recline, drivers side is just loose and falling back. This winter I will pull and repair padding and cover on seat and fix the seat back. (I can pull it forward about 8 inches now so the bolts holding it under cover must have come out.

I am tickled to have it even in pieces! Every time I walk past and see the the shape of it under the cover my heart skips a beat. It is like that first crush you have. My heart aches every time I see her!

Thanks again for the support. With daylight savings change I will soon be losing what little time I have to work on it. Was on craigslist tonight before signing on here checking for warehouse/shop space for rent near me. Would like to rent me a a nice man-cave nearby! got a couple to call on tomorrow before I go to work at 11 am.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Hi, wanted to chime in and congratulate you with your project!
    If you get to pulling off the doors panels, you might want to work on the mechanical parts of the window with a Dremel and clean it from surface rust and gummed up lube. Then relube the mechanical parts and it will run as new again.

You can get your interior scripts and decals at opgi.com
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Classic L is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Concours / 88 Broughm D'el / 76 Coupe D'el

Wow Dave.... BIG props to you my man. You do nice work. I mean the trunk emblem, the roof, the body, the steering wheel, it all looks nice man. Hey I know what you mean about the original color. They used to do some nice stuff. I like the one you had with the dark body and the light top. Your neighbors must love you out there in the parking lot, and soon they're all gonna be jealous. Nice cover! Yeah man, I was out wiping my Seville down today, didn't even start it up... but it was like euphoria just lifting the cover off and seeing it. Even when I pass it I pat the cover and just feel happy. I wish you much success and many happy times with that car. The more you put in to it the more you gonna get out of it! Rock on mr. Talisman, rock on!

jbob02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 76 fleetwood talisman

hey dave.i'm interested in the rolls grille.jess

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    Hi, wanted to chime in and congratulate you with your project!
    If you get to pulling off the doors panels, you might want to work on the mechanical parts of the window with a Dremel and clean it from surface rust and gummed up lube. Then relube the mechanical parts and it will run as new again.

You can get your interior scripts and decals at opgi.com
    Thanks, I am the type who likes to diddle around and take things slow. That is on the distant horizon! I at this point have only moved the windows down about 2 inches and back up once since I got it just to make sure they worked. I didn't want to do more until I could clean the tracks and lube them so as not to damage the motors. I am in no rush to get anything done (except the desire to drive it). I just found out it is saving me more on my primary car's insurance than it cost to insure the Cadillac, and it is registered for life so all it costs me is whatever parts I get for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Classic L View Post
    Wow Dave.... BIG props to you my man. You do nice work. I mean the trunk emblem, the roof, the body, the steering wheel, it all looks nice man. Hey I know what you mean about the original color. They used to do some nice stuff. I like the one you had with the dark body and the light top. Your neighbors must love you out there in the parking lot, and soon they're all gonna be jealous. Nice cover! Yeah man, I was out wiping my Seville down today, didn't even start it up... but it was like euphoria just lifting the cover off and seeing it. Even when I pass it I pat the cover and just feel happy. I wish you much success and many happy times with that car. The more you put in to it the more you gonna get out of it! Rock on mr. Talisman, rock on!
    Good to hear from you again! Thanks for the compliments. I was worried about the reaction from the neighbors when I turned the communal parking area into a resto shop. So far the people I worried about most, have been the most interested and supportive of the prodject! A couple of guys have offered extra hands anytime I need them, and I have met some people I never knew before. Something about an old Cadillac just seems to interest all ages and races of people. One night it looked like the United Nations around the car when the ricers, lowriders,and the donk's came over to check it out at the same time! Kicking myself for not getting photo but when you are dirty and working you just don't think of it. Maybe next summer!

Quote Originally Posted by jbob02 View Post
    hey dave.i'm interested in the rolls grille.jess
    Hi Jess, welcome to the forum BTW! You gotta start a thread and post up some pic's A.S.A.P.! I am in no hurry to decide what I am going to do with the caps I have. I still have mine my first Talisman and now the one that came with this one, so I can help you out with something, but it wouldn't be a whole set. I will not be using the vertical bar grille and the top cap that came on the new one and have been watching them on Ebay to get an idea what they sell for figuring I would list them. I only have one lady, but have been looking for a better one that isn't a fortune. If/when I find one then I would sell the other. The only other thing I needed off the set-up that came with the car is the end uprights off the vertical bar grille. I had planned on listing it without them so I wouldn't have to bend my own for my old cap. I wanted to get these spare parts before I list it because a complete set is worth more than a couple of odd parts.
    70eldo and 70eldo like this.

jbob02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 76 fleetwood talisman

hi dave ,thanks for the intro
    i will have pics shortly
    hey ,does your baby have a 3.15 controlled diff?
    i been looking long and hard for one
    i have met up with a guy recently who has one but the axles are std and short so it might not work for me
    mine has the rear console like yours will have
    jess

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.