Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; First rough and heavy coat of primer, did exactly what I hoped so far, pointed out the good and the ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

First rough and heavy coat of primer, did exactly what I hoped so far, pointed out the good and the bad much easier to see when all the same color. Do some light sanding tomorrow and then a little more glazing.

This is what I have been chasing all this time. The whole roof was dimpled like this.

Wow.. sorry about the extreme close-up! what I am trying to get rid of is the big pits..the little ones are just the primer! Never thought my cell phone would make it look Lunar!

The sides are looking good.

Still a lot of unresolved issues under the rear window. Stylish glass surrogate. (Toro lawn mower box.)

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

What will the "final" exterior color be? Black? Dark blue?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I think he said dead white. As to the roof, looks like time for a skim coat of filler.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

White over white. I love white on big old Cadillacs. Makes them pop and look even bigger IMO. Also love white with all the chrome on these beasts!

I'm on about the sixth coat now. The little pits are just in the primer coat. The Deep ones are the ones needing more filler. I went heavy on the primer and will sand down fine tomorrow.

Unless you mean the rear window, then that needs more than that. (But for now, that is all it will get!)

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    White over white. I love white on big old Cadillacs. Makes them pop and look even bigger IMO. Also love white with all the chrome on these beasts!

I'm on about the sixth coat now. The little pits are just in the primer coat. The Deep ones are the ones needing more filler. I went heavy on the primer and will sand down fine tomorrow.

Unless you mean the rear window, then that needs more than that. (But for now, that is all it will get!)
    I have noticed that, too. White does seem to make a car look bigger. A white Cadillac limousine looks longer than a black or dark blue one, even though it really isn't longer. An optical illusion, I guess.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

I like white for these old caddies too. As you say, this color make them even more impressive. You┤re doing a good job. I wonder why are those dimples on the roof. Were they made by rust?

When she┤s finished with her white original style vinyl, will look gorgeous

cajutila is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe DeVille

I've got a hood trim piece if you still need one. cajutila@comcast.net

Thanks cajutila, I got lucky at the local wreckers yard!

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

WOW~! Time for a Jerry Lewis-style telethon for this fantastically fabulous car! Talk about fun, what is the latest with the project?

I have not gotten anything major done lately. A week after I finished my drug regime I went on vacation. Now I am just getting caught up on daily stuff and yard work left neglected for the whole summer. spent three days off cleaning my place, just to get it to "cluttered". Which is an improvement over "Tonight On Hoarder..."!
    My folks lawn needs everything done to it Weeds went wild through drought, and lost quite a bit of grass, so far I have managed to complete the spring pruning.

While I was on vacation I went to a Kmart in Manistee MI and bought a pair of fuzzy dice for it. We don't have Kmart locally anymore and it is an inside joke to have a pair if dice from Kmart. When I was selling cars I would buy out the local store about twice a month. Always kept about 20 pair in my bottom desk drawer. They sold a lot of cars for me!

Before I left I spent about 2 or 3 days cleaning 35 years of crud, water spots, and paint from the previous owner off. Then used oooo synthetic steel wool on a low speed buffer/scratch compound to get rid of scratches and other small problems. So it is ready for me when I get a chance to finish and paint it's mounting place. That is about the extent of it so far. I also bought an original lap blanket for it! Now I just need to find the pillow.

In short, when we get done with Matt's intervention, you can do mine while we are all in the same place!

I do love walking past it twice a day to and from work. Beautiful profile under that tarp. Still makes my heart jump when I look at it and still glad I found it.

Right now it is costing me $11.00 per month so I am in no rush, other than I want it to cruise in spring. I am asking around in hopes of finding a garage for the winter where I can work on it. The underground here is not going to work for that.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Very nice, very nice. I can tell you are putting some love into that deserving old car.

Seems there are a lot of plans and energy cooking on your mind for your caddy. Have you given it a name yet?

It hasn't given me it's name yet. He or she is being very tight lipped and we have not gotten to introductions yet. I am sure at some point it will pop up when I least expect it.

I believe in an organic naming process instead of sitting trying to come up with one.

Someday I will call it a name in anger or joy and think "That's it!" Or a friend will look at it and make a comment that sparks my fire. Or perhaps I will see a person on TV or in movies who's character reminds me of the cars attributes.

It will come somehow. When it does, my forum family will get a birth announcement right here.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Every time I see a 71-76 Brougham, I always think of McMillan and Wife with Rock Hudson and Susan St. James.

I liked that TV series though I didn┤t understand it totally as I was a little boy. Beautiful music... And cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.