Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Even here in CA, if it's 1975 or older, no smog required regardless of registration. Used to be a rolling ...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Help bring her back to life. My 74 got delivered today.

Even here in CA, if it's 1975 or older, no smog required regardless of registration. Used to be a rolling 25 year exemption, but CA froze that some years back, because there are just too many 1976 Cadillacs running around in daily service polluting the air.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I think I just came up with the "fly in the ointment"! That belt runs from crank to fan to A.I.R. The A.I.R. is the adjustment in the tension! Without it I would at least need an Idler pulley to tighten belt. So I think I will just bite the bullet. found rebuilt on ebay for $50 free ship.
    Oh well, like Roseanne Roseannadana always said "If it's not one thing it's another."

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

By the way, I went to Pull a part today and I'm sorry to say that the '74 sedan that was there has been crushed. I guess they figured once the drivetrain got picked that it wasn't worth the real estate it occupied.

Thanks for trying, I think I got the door pull end and hood strip avail. at Cadilac Heaven. They are double checking for me. The steering wheel I think I will try to repair myself with epoxy putty. When I bought my grille on ebay the tag that came on it said 74 Talisman! I emailed the place in CA but it had been crushed already. They have a few parts left and the photos of them are while still on the car. Looks a heck of a lot better than mine. What a waste. I don't think they had a clue what they had.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Dave:

Most non Cad yards do NOT have a clue what a Talisman is. Nor do they care. Sad, very sad, that a 74 "bought it."

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

It was sad that it was even in there. It was pretty much rust free and looked restorable. Clock showed mileage in the 55,000 range and I figured it was original. It was yellow with those crazy gold paisley seats.

Well have been making a little progress on the car. Have been working on rust damage on roofline and pitting on roof.

I have gotten the AIR pump and belt, but I have a question. Since the belt broke due to the frozen pump, I assume the alt hasn't turned in twenty-some years. Is there some place to lube or silicone before I fire it up for the first time?
    77CDV, 77CDV, CADforce69 and 1 others like this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Thatīs a BIG re-start of the restoring process!! You said thatīs the critical point of this carīs body. Now is a good time to do it, with dry weather (Leaving apart high temperatures). When you finish the roof, you will be able to prime it to protect the metal sheet until you paint all the car

Iīm no expert on alternators but I suppose some drops of motor oil on the pulley axis will help (better by a thin pipe). Iīm glad to see this is moving
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Still sanding and filling and sanding etc. It is coming out nice and tomorrow I hope to prime it when I get home. Brought a pipe home from work and moved my trunk torsion rods up a notch, no more bumping my head while getting supplies out of trunk! Pops open like a champ now. Stays nice and high. It truly is the little things you grasp onto for encouragement.

Glad to know of this continuous progress Donīt stop, my friend and keep up the good work.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Dave, I noticed in the pictures of your cars dashboard on photobucket that it has no radio.
    Do you have a radio?
    If not, LMK and I'll try to find you one at the local junkyards. Theres a '62 buick special in one of the yards with a nice looking mid/late 70s pioneer 8 track (2 speaker output) if you feel so inclined (theres also a decent assortment of GM mid 70s- 80s shaft style radios since 70s and 80s GM rwd cars still come in fairly regularly.)

Thanks for the offer, I actually have two! I bought a retro radio so I can bluetooth my phone and tunes, and then when I was at the yard I found a great looking original 8 track in the trunk of a recent arrival.
    Bought it just to have if I ever get nostalgic!

Well no primer yet. Got off work at 5:30 and never even went upstairs. Worked until 10:00!
    I am getting scary good at working in the dark. If my mom's blindness (MD) is passed down to me, I think I will take up bodywork. I am getting almost Zen about sanding by feel. At first I thought I was just fooling myself, but every morning I get up, it looks pretty good.

Brought my rear window up tonight. Lovely cardboard replacement is in it's place. Lots of overspray from PO so I want clean it up and polish it. I bought the conductive paint and adhesive to go over existing and re-attach the two contacts .Rigged my cover from my Sebring to cover roof and windows.

Now I am wondering why. I will never run this car in weather where I need it. Also looks better without it on there if I ever tint. Also can remove all wiring from dash and have one less possible short! Any input either way? I am torn between having it look/be original, and the easy way! I already bought all the junk to do it so I probably will.

If by chance a mod sees this post could you change the title? Should probably drop the "got delivered today".
    Maybe just "Help bring her back to life. My 74 Talisman."

Iīm glad to see the work is going on fast and steady. I would check if wiring seems to be in bad condition but if you canīt see any worrying issue I would leave it as it is. My favourite motto is "If it works, donīt touch it" . As an amateur restorer with limited resources, I use to escape from unnecessary complications.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    My favourite motto is "If it works, donīt touch it" .
    I always thought it was "if it works, don't use it"!

^Well, as you can read on the Vasectomy Information Home Page, it should really be: "If it works donīt fix it"

77CDV has gone one step further; a wise advice for every classic car owner

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.