76 Eldo Hubcap Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 76 Eldo Hubcap Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok super newbie question. As the eldo is front wheel drive, are there limitations to what hupcaps to use? From ...
    Fanbladeus02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

76 Eldo Hubcap Question

Ok super newbie question. As the eldo is front wheel drive, are there limitations to what hupcaps to use? From what I know about front wheel drive cars (and nothing of this vintage) the offset of the rim prevents certain caps being used.

I'm not a big fan of the stock cap and plan on getting a set of wire spoke caps. I've come across a few from the late 70s/ early 80s that look cool but will they work?

Also I see the dome that gets bolted to the rim and there is a lock nut and key? How do these work? Do you knock out the center to attach it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 76 Eldo Hubcap Question

The wire discs will not work on these Eldos. If you want wires, you have to get true wires made for these Eldos. They are $$$$$$. There were also alloy rims available, but they are also $$$$$$$$.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

77CDV is correct.

The reason for Eldorados having different wheel covers was that the wheels were offset differently to clear the much larger brakes/rotors/wheel hubs. Finding custom covers/wheels for these cars is expensive. They do exist, however.

Fanbladeus02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

I must have gotten super lucky as I came across a set of wires that I believe will fit. Next time I'm over where I'm storing the car I'm going to clean them up and take pics --hopefully of them installed. Maybe you guys can tell me what it is that I have.

They have a Cadillac emblem in the middle and have a high pitch with a separate wheel shield. These bolt right on with the rims and have chrome lugs. I put it on the spare rim and it seems to fit perfectly.

So far looks like I got a score.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Congrats! As I said these things do exist, but they're not that common. One thing that's been lost in the annals of time is that Eldorados, despite their size, were the "drivers car" of 70s Cad lineup. So things like larger brakes, stabilizer bars, larger tires, etc were part of what was included. Cadillac denied it, and I have no proof, but a few old timers have told me that Eldorado engines were higher output than the others. Again, the literature I have does not bear this out, but more than one old time mechanic has told me this. Maybe something we didn't know?

bosshogg80 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Any pics yet on your wheels you luck up on?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.