1969 - 472 ci Gasoline Required
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1969 - 472 ci Gasoline Required in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I am new to the form and am looking to buy a classic Cad . The one question that ...
    walex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

1969 - 472 ci Gasoline Required

Hi I am new to the form and am looking to buy a classic Cad . The one question that comes to mind for me is , what type of gasoline was recommended for the 472 engine in 1969 ?Was it leaded or unleaded hi test gasoline ? : Thanks in advance .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1969 - 472 ci Gasoline Required

Unleaded wasn't introduced until 1971, and 1969 was still the high compression era, so the engine was designed to run on hi-test leaded. Today, you can use premium unleaded (min. 91 octane, 93 if you can get it) with a lead substitute. If the engine has been rebuilt with harded valve seats, you can skip the lead substitute.

SWEENDOG1969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90k 1969 Cadillac Hardtop Sedan Deville

I've been running my 69 on premium and the occasional lead additive (very occasional) and dont really notice a difference,if the valve seats get worn out i figured i would replace/upgrade the valve seats..and other things

disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

Ive never put the lead sub in and i run 89.... runs nice, stays cool

FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang

I've been running 93 unleaded in my 68 which is also allegedly 10:1 compression. From some reading I've done it sounds like people have proven that they were more like 9:1. I think you could run a lower than premium fuel but I'm going to just keep using high test. I do add some marvel mystery oil into the gas and the crankcase. Its 46 years old though and I doubt anyone has been putting anything in the gas the whole time.

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by FoxRodder View Post
    I've been running 93 unleaded in my 68 which is also allegedly 10:1 compression. From some reading I've done it sounds like people have proven that they were more like 9:1. I think you could run a lower than premium fuel but I'm going to just keep using high test. I do add some marvel mystery oil into the gas and the crankcase. Its 46 years old though and I doubt anyone has been putting anything in the gas the whole time.
    The '68 472 compression ratio is 10.5:1, as is the '69 472. My '69 472 pings on hard acceleration. I am going to try using colder spark plugs.

FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang

Maybe it was 10.5 which makes it all the more exaggerated. I saw more than one comment on cadillac. power that in reality they were about 9:1. I also looked at threads where people provided engine dyno numbers for freshly rebuilt and modified engines which barely beat or fell short of the exaggerated factory ratings of 375/530 for my 68. Best way to find out is contact Mts and ask for answers from the folks who specialize in building these motors seriously.

Are you sure you are hearing ping and not an exhaust leak? Ive made that mistake. Also what are the chances of a hot spot of carbon on a piston,valve or plug? Something would have to be wrong to be caused by the stock application spark plugs. That would be like suggesting racing fuel because 93 was pinging. I'd suggest sea foam or water mist treatment performed if not done already.

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by FoxRodder View Post
    Maybe it was 10.5 which makes it all the more exaggerated. I saw more than one comment on cadillac. power that in reality they were about 9:1. I also looked at threads where people provided engine dyno numbers for freshly rebuilt and modified engines which barely beat or fell short of the exaggerated factory ratings of 375/530 for my 68. Best way to find out is contact Mts and ask for answers from the folks who specialize in building these motors seriously.

Are you sure you are hearing ping and not an exhaust leak? Ive made that mistake. Also what are the chances of a hot spot of carbon on a piston,valve or plug? Something would have to be wrong to be caused by the stock application spark plugs. That would be like suggesting racing fuel because 93 was pinging. I'd suggest sea foam or water mist treatment performed if not done already.
    Well, the only way to know for sure would be to check the engine to see if it really is 10.5:1. If mine were really around 9.0:1, it probably wouldn't ping!

I do know that for some years, Cadillac underrated the hp and torque ratings. I don't know if the 375/525 hp and torque rating of a '68 is accurate. But they could sure burn rubber, so maybe the 525 lbs-ft torque is correct.

Yes, my '69 472 could have a carbon hot spot. It only pings at full- or near full-throttle so it's not too bad. As mentioned, I'll try colder spark plugs. That may help.

65raddycaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 SedanDeville

I only run sunoco premium in my 65 since they have the highest octane rating from a pump I cam find. Mine pings on mid grade. It was bad last uear and the vacum advance wasnt working properly. My dad told me amoco used to have fuel so clear it looked like coleman fuel. I think he told me it was like 98 octane and it went into a clear bowl so you saw wat you were getting. Who knows wat we are pumping now.

disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

89, No lead substitute, occasionally i seafoam in the tank and drip a bit in carb for any carbon build up, havent noticed any lackluster performance or anything. As far as lead substitute i think its a rip

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Well let me answer the question as it is actually stated. 1969-472 ci Gasoline Required---- Let me just answer "Yes" and a lot of it
    I have had my 70 for only a couple of months now. Running 89 with no problems however the exhaust leak could be covering up a ping.
    Lets just say she is a work in progress, but a lot of fun.
    Jeff

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.