1961 cadillac fuel problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1961 cadillac fuel problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; anyone ever hear of this problem,new 390 motor,fuel tank and lines clean,new edelbrock carb with an extra inline filter.the car ...
    midnite kid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1961 fleetwood,1977 sedan deville

1961 cadillac fuel problem

anyone ever hear of this problem,new 390 motor,fuel tank and lines clean,new edelbrock carb with an extra inline filter.the car when idiling will fill the bowl on the fuel pump but wont fill up the clear inline filter after the pump.after it idles a while,the bowl goes dry like its not pumping.i can feel the pump pumping when you lay your hand on it.is the rod between the cam and fuel pump wore out or is it sucking air.every line is newwas this a common problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

Re: 1961 cadillac fuel problem

I worked on a Chevy a while back that had the rod you mention wear out, so they do wear out. Problem is where are you going to get a new one. If it is the same as Chevrolet, you can get one at any speed shop. My experience is that parts stores such as NAPA will not have it.

intragration is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe DeVille, 2002 Eldorado Collector Series

I don't know if there's an in-tank filter at the end of the pickup tube like on some other cars, but if there is, it's possible for this filter to get wedged on the end of the pickup and block it. The pushrod becoming worn is possible, but seems unlikely to me. I would check that pickup tube.

midnite kid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1961 fleetwood,1977 sedan deville

yes,thats what it was,pickup tube partially plugged,couldnt draw enough fuel to run past idle

David Biarritz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1961 Eldorado Biarritz 1983 Fleetwood Brougham coupe

Wink Re: 1961 cadillac fuel problem

Just had the same problem with my 61 Cadillac Biarritz. Air in the filter bowl. I had enough fuel pressure from the pump, so this meant it was sucking up air with the fuel. I jacked the back of the car up and with a screw driver, tightened up the fuel line clamps on the hoses between the tank and the body fuel line pipes.
    Now the fuel filter bowl is full, I don't even get any bubbles going through it.

----------

Just had the same problem with my 61 Cadillac Biarritz. Air in the filter bowl. I had enough fuel pressure from the pump, so this meant it was sucking up air with the fuel. I jacked the back of the car up and with a screw driver, tightened up the fuel line clamps on the hoses between the tank and the body fuel line pipes.
    Now the fuel filter bowl is full, I don't even get any bubbles going through it.http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ons/icon12.png

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Assuming no leaks prior to the fuel pump, the air will purge itself. I think you have a problem with the lever and eccentric cam on the front of the camshaft. If I recall this cam is bolted to the camshaft. If loose, it would not move the fuel pump lever far enough. Some pumps required a Bakelite spacer between the pump and block to position the pumps lever on the cam. This is from memory so verify thru the internet.

nyd
    nyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am having the exact problem 1961 fleet 62 390 new carb and lines pumping fuel but filter runs dry and car quits

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.