Tire pressure on an old Caddy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Tire pressure on an old Caddy in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a '49 Caddy, series 62, 4 dr. sedan. It weighs about 4100 lbs. My owners' manual says that ...
    Raymond919 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1949 Cadillac Series 62

Tire pressure on an old Caddy

I have a '49 Caddy, series 62, 4 dr. sedan. It weighs about 4100 lbs. My owners' manual says that the tires are designed to carry 24 lbs of pressure since the car is now equipped with 'extra-low-pressure tires mounted on 6" wheel rims'. The tires are supposedly designed to give 'maximum comfort and economy' due to their 'flexibility' to 'absorb rather than bounce over road irregularities'.

Well, this is 2010 and I have no idea about these low pressure tires or if they've been dropped or whatever. My question is, what tire pressure should I use with the bias ply tires on the car now. Their size is 820 X 15, 4 plies.
    Can someone with tire experience tell me how many pounds to put in my tires? I've been carrying about 29 lbs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

Re: Tire pressure on an old Caddy

Do the tires have the max pressure marked on them, most do. I would start there, or a little below that max pressure.

Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for your reply. On the sidewalls, my tires indicate a maximum pressure of 32 pounds. They are bias-ply. I currently have them at 28/29 pounds. On the road, my car tends to 'wander' and I need to constantly be correcting the steering with small adjustments. Could this be due to too high a pressure or is it just the nature of the car?
    Ray

BlackHammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

Sounds like the car wandering is due to wheel alignment and not tire pressure, unless the tire pressure changes greatly from one side of the car to the other.

Many thanks for your comments. I have to have one part of the front suspension replaced later this month. Of course, the car will be aligned at that time. To answer your other comment, I've checked the pressure all around and all tire pressure is identical.
    I've appreciated all the comments and would still listen to any other thoughts on the topic.

daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

I would tend to agree with Raymond, I had a 62 International truck that would wander and it was partially due to wear in the front end and alignment. All though the wander could be reduced by lowering the air pressure in the front tires, I wouldn't recommend that. Sounds like you are on the right track with the repairs and alignment. I'm not sure if your 49 has kingpins rather than balljoints but if it does they should be checked as well. New front wheel drive cars run 0 degrees toe in setting but the older stuff must have toe in to spec to minimize wander. You would want to be sure the alignment tech knows what he is doing and has the proper settings for this vintage car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.