hooray for this forum and what about my generator?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, hooray for this forum and what about my generator? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just wanted to say that it's very big deal to me that there is a seperate classic caddy section here. ...
    Captain wow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado (prev:78Eldo-73Eldo-79CDV-78Sev-79Sev)

Red face hooray for this forum and what about my generator?

Just wanted to say that it's very big deal to me that there is a seperate classic caddy section here.
    I have 70 eldo and although there are a lot of answers all over these forums, most of my gripes are specific to the oldies.. (albeit a rather young oldie!)

Now.. i had a bunch of problems starting my car a year ago when i first got it.
    I bought a new battery & alternator and it was ok for a week but then the gen light came on, so then i checked the inside of the vr and there was a burnt wire, i soldered a new one on and that didnt change anything. i checked the voltage regulator wiring as per the workshop manual and it pointed the issue to the new generator, i took it apart, put it back together and hey presto working again.. !?

More recently the gen light came on again, i did all the workshop tests, i checked inside the new generator and everything was in tact but one of the wires leading to the diodes looked a bit burnt, i cleaned up the contact and added solder and put it all back...whilst fiddling with all the connections i accidently broke my voltage regulator whilst inspecting it so now have a brand new one. (standardvr-103)
    and I am now left with this:

It is all correctly earthed, the gen light works as it should. The battery is being charged at 14.7 - 17 volts! even when warmed up, light's on etc. I first start and idle there is an intermittent loud buzzing from the vr and the gen light blinks erratically with the buzzing. if i rev the car the buzzing settles and stops. i read somewhere that this could be a diode issue.. can i check this myself? how?...also someone else recommended switching to a wells vr715 to handle and control the high output from alternator but they dont sell them here in uk.

i have to drive to paris in it next week!! The car is part of an art exhibition at the louvre (believe it or not!)
    should i try and adjust the vr myself, by bend the spring holding tang inside to lower the voltage output? Anyone done this?

The vr is grounded on its main assembly, there used to be a radio condenser attached to part of it but this is now removed as it was broken..should this connection need to be grounded?

As ever, all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

Re: hooray for this forum and what about my generator?

I don't know much on this subject, and its been a while since I have worked on that year Caddy. I seem to recall that those voltage regulators had to be polarized or something like that. Don't remember how to do it however, any instructions with the new regulator? You may be able to search this site for info on the procedure. Just an Idea, good luck!

Thanks, in the instruction that came with the vr it states how to
    Plug it all in , then reconnect battery, then "Caution: do not attempt to polarised the charging system" the next steps are "start the engine, turn on lights and accessories for 1.2 minutes then turn off, press down accelerator to increase motor speed. Check indicator light is off and stays off..."

I will be honest and say I have not followed this procedure exactly..I did not time the 1.2 minutes, could this be the equivalent of polarising?

I had just the air con compressor and blower going the other night and noted the voltage was at 12.5 idle. Is that correct?

Ok then I guess you don't need to polarize the VR , just a guess anyway. I don't think the exact timing (1.2 min) would be your problem. You can measure the battery voltage before and after you start the car it should be about 12.5vt with eng off and should jump to around 13.5-14.5vt when started if the charging system is working correctly. Your reading of 12.5vt while running sounds a bit low, but if it increases with out much load it may be ok. I don't have a FSM for that year, so I'm afraid I don't have any more advice. I have a 77 Deville but the regulator is inside the alternator, you may want to look into a later model alt with an internal regulator if all else fails. Electrical problems on a Cadillac can be challenging, I assume you have checked for loose, cracked insulation and disconnected wires, etc.

This is from a 1969 Chiltons manual. Reversed polarity causes vibrating, arcing and burning of relay points ( regulator contacts) Procedure to polarize is, eng off, momentarly short bat to gen terminals on regulator. Possibly the instructions are for a + ground vehicle, I don't know. Sure sounds like your problem however.

Yikes! Interesting, it does sound like my problem. so what exactly would I be shorting between? The batt gen terminal onto the outer casting of the regulator?

However if it did need polorizing would it charge at all or would it be charging opposite levels ie: send high voltage to the batt when it should be low and vice versa.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I've got a call in to one of my 60's-70's era guys - hoping he'll have some insight for you here ... maybe
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

So my guy said that the VR wires could be hooked up backwards (similar to a polarized backwards situation) ... and/or it just needs adjustment (there's an internal adjustment on the VR he said)
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The Chiltons manual says to momentarly short the batt and gen terminals on the VR. But if the wires are not hooked up correctly as rippypartsmaster suggests that could cause your problem, I would check those connections first before trying the polarizing procedure.

Hi all, so im certain the wires are all hooked up correctly, i shorted the positive batt to the generator's f terminal a couple a times and then started it.. got the same buzzing from vr. However we then had to leave on a big trip to paris france! Along the first leg of the journey the buzzing came on whenever low revs or starting. But now the car has reached france the buzzing has stopped and as far as i can tell the charging is fine.
    I will do a proper test later as i cannot access the car as it is part of an exhibition in the louvre till tonight! check it out here: http://www.workplacegallery.co.uk/ar...arren%20Banks/

cool... glad to hear everything (seems) okay - let's hope for the best

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.