Lose Car over 50 over limit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Canada Discussion, Lose Car over 50 over limit in Cadillac Clubs, Local Chapters and Regional Forums; A warning to anyone wanting to come to Ontario, including our American cousins, have an eye, if you are caught ...
    Caddyshack100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP

Lose Car over 50 over limit

A warning to anyone wanting to come to Ontario, including our American cousins, have an eye, if you are caught going more than 50kph (27mph) over the speed limit, you will lose your licence for seven days and have your car impounded for the same period, and pay up to $10,000 in fines. Ouch... the cops have been told not to give anybody a break, and they can even put it down as racing or dangerous driving, George Orwell anyone. Remember Speed does not kill. Stopping suddenly does.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: Lose Car over 50 over limit

woah
    thats total bull
    thanks for the heads up

racebyu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V, 500HP+ 99 Vette

Everyone better stay off the gas and that 50km limit as they are pulling cars in and $$$ like crazy.
    Speed does not kill, unsafe lane changes, tailgating, running red lights and in general being an ass does!

-What happens when you cannot drive your Vette in the winter?
    -You buy a Cadillac with a Vette motor in it for a winter ride!

lukky4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

man that is so harsh!

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by racebyu View Post
    Everyone better stay off the gas and that 50km limit as they are pulling cars in and $$$ like crazy.
    Speed does not kill, unsafe lane changes, tailgating, running red lights and in general being an ass does!

-What happens when you cannot drive your Vette in the winter?
    -You buy a Cadillac with a Vette motor in it for a winter ride!
    Oh hell no, I'm not driving my V in the winter.

Did ya get my PM by any chance?

racebyu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V, 500HP+ 99 Vette

Ya thanks for the Pm, I will email you back.
    Sorry to say mine is a winter driver, or fall and early spring, part summer if more then 4 seats are needed.
    It can actually hold a little more then my Vette.

mgscustomtune is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS V

Yes that new law does suck is anyone running a radar jammer and if so what you all using l am looking to get one.

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

i was doing 160 on the hi way.
    and the cop pulled me over.
    He said "You know you really shouldn't be doing this" and then walked back to his cruiser and drove off
    thats it just those words

He must of been going off shift or had another more important call, (or call of nature), You are sooo lucky, give that cop a box of Timbits next time you see him, and another thing, ever notice that beside every cop sitting on the side of the road, there are two or three towtrucks just hovering.

mgscustomtune is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS V

I was pulling my D Max and trailer with the Mobile Dyno Inside on the 401 around Windsor whem l was pulled over at 145klm the way he told me to get over l thought o crap. Then he walked back to the truck asked me to open the trailer. I did he saw the dyno inside and said o thats what a dyno is. About 30 sec went by he looked at me and said cool have a nice day and drove off. Maybe he was looking for a free pull lol

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

There is a good reason behind that new law.
    Orwellian doesnt even come into the picture. No one is attempting to take away your cars (books). No one is attempting to control your thoughts or practices. There is no attempt at controlling the aspects of individual freedoms.

It is all about safety towards the general public.
    Some may believe it may be harsh.
    But there is a much larger reality behind the decision in passing that law.

It has to do with the true reality and harshness of the unnecessary deaths that have become a regular fixture on the roads here.
    Not necessarily to curb highway speeds.
    But to attempt to stop the continually rising rate of unnecessary deaths because of hazardous speeds on other roads.

It got to the point that too too many were dying because of (blatantly obvious) excessive speeds and total disregard of safe driving on all the provinces "roads".

Street racing was/had become a serious problem. Until that law was passed.....one would hear in the news most every day about another death because of someone racing.
    It was almost an everyday thing.
    Passengers in back of taxi killed when hit by driver doing 120 in 70 zone ! Racing suspected !
    Couple killed making turn in intersection by (suspected) racer running red light. Believed to be doing 150 in 60 zone !

And it goes on and on.....It was an every day thing. Every day someone was dying because of irresponsible racing all over the city.

It wasnt until I read this thread, did I realize that no longer are the daily headlines again and again reporting deaths because of street racing etc......
    Obviously it has made a difference. And I see that as a good thing.

To think that taking someones car away for doing 100 in a 50 zone is harsh....thats baffling ???
    The fact that anyone would want to do 100 in a 50 zone is what is really harsh !!!!!

For those that say that speed doesnt kill. Should check your facts. It may not always kill the one that is doing the speeding.
    But more often than not. When it does kill. It kills someone that is minding there own business. May it be a passenger in the speeding vehicle.....or your mother on her way home from shopping.

The reason that law was passed was because there were too too many deaths occurring on our streets.

BTW: Those in PA and NY should know. Our top highway speed limits here, are higher than there anyways. So when going our limits, you are probably at the max that would be allowed for yous, before getting nervous of a ticket. And you believe its wrong to want to go even faster than that and not be penalized even harder !!!!
    Thats harsh.....and....total bull.... I believe were the comments.......Will mention as well seein as Im almost there anyways.
    There were actually 2 incidents last year, that I recall, regarding Americans speeding on our roads that killed people.
    One involved a women going over 50 than our limit hitting a car on the shoulder with its hazard lights on.
    She hit it so hard that she killed the man in the car waiting for assistance. As well as killing her own father in the passenger side of her car.
    The other one was a couple of teens that came up here and took out another vehicle while racing in the city streets. Death again etc......But lo and behold the ones racing/speeding survived.........

Innocents were dying every day here. And since that law was passed the headlines have changed. The unnecessary deaths have decreased exponentially.
    If passing a law that 50 over the limit will result in charges related to racing. And that law alters the number of deaths of Mothers, Fathers, and or there children......Which it has clearly done...
    Where is the negative in that ?????????????????????????????????

I dont see anything harsh about that. And certainally not Orwillian.
    Getting your car taken away for a week and possibly being fined very very large for doing 50 over sucks.
    But killing someone because of being reckless and inconsiderate towards the rest of society. Because of thinking that the rules of society dont pertain to you......I call that a waste of skin and water and something that is not needed.
    Why dont we just scrap that law. And if you drive over the limits. If racing and being irresponsible and kill some one. Then we put a bullet in your brain ???????????

Actually couldnt do that. Anyone know why ???
    Cause THAT would be Orwellian.

The less families and lives being destroyed the better.
    And if taking a car away for going over 50 prevents at least one child or parent from dying. Then Im for It.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyg View Post
    It has to do with the true reality and harshness of the unnecessary deaths that have become a regular fixture on the roads here.
    Not necessarily to curb highway speeds.
    But to attempt to stop the continually rising rate of unnecessary deaths because of hazardous speeds on other roads.

It got to the point that too too many were dying because of (blatantly obvious) excessive speeds and total disregard of safe driving on all the provinces "roads".

Street racing was/had become a serious problem. Until that law was passed.....one would hear in the news most every day about another death because of someone racing.
    It was almost an everyday thing.
    Passengers in back of taxi killed when hit by driver doing 120 in 70 zone ! Racing suspected !
    Couple killed making turn in intersection by (suspected) racer running red light. Believed to be doing 150 in 60 zone !
    That's a load of crap. Excessive speeds themselves don't cause accidents. It's stupid people who are unattentive that result in devestating accidents.

Your 2 examples are both cases where people turned IN FRONT OF SPEEDING CARS. If you're stupid enough to turn in front of 2 speeding cars you deserve to be killed. Accidents like these happen ALL the time. Only the ones that involve suspected street racing make the news because it's good for the media.

Speed is only a small part of the problem. It's people not being able to obey the right of way, and feeling the need to cut out in traffic in front of other oncoming cars. For some reason they feel these other cars should slow down for them to make a left turn. Everytime I'm going straight and some idiot makes a turn in front of me causing me to slam on my brakes I tell myself, "one day they're gonna get killed doing this." And they do. Well deserved too.

"Couple killed making turn in intersection by (suspected) racer running red light. Believed to be doing 150 in 60 zone !"

Happened 5 minutes from my house. You're worse than the media. Do you know ANYTHING about this story?

80 zone, not 60. The "150km/h" was quoted by witnesses who wanted to play cop. Accident report ended up showing it was about 115km/h or so. I drive by this area a couple times a week. It is a STRAIGHT road. Couple was making a left turn. 2 oncoming cars. There's no way they didn't see them. They were just stupid.

Oh wait, here's the best part. The driver that turned in front of the 2 "racing" cars was DRUNK OFF HIS ASS. OVER 2 times the legal limit. Why didn't you put that in your post? Is it because you support drunk driving or you just simply didn't know the facts?

To think that taking someones car away for doing 100 in a 50 zone is harsh....thats baffling ???
    The fact that anyone would want to do 100 in a 50 zone is what is really harsh !!!!!
    100 in a 50 is stupid. 150 in a 100 zone can be justified. Or here's a better one. There's a highway in Brampton that ends and turns into a normal 2 or 3 lane highway. Cops LOVE to sit at the end of the highway with a line of tow trucks waiting for unsuspecting drivers that aren't aware of the speed limit change. Gee, I wonder if they're all concerned with safety. You'd be absolutely stupid to believe that they were.

For those that say that speed doesnt kill. Should check your facts. It may not always kill the one that is doing the speeding.
    But more often than not. When it does kill. It kills someone that is minding there own business. May it be a passenger in the speeding vehicle.....or your mother on her way home from shopping.

The reason that law was passed was because there were too too many deaths occurring on our streets.
    I got a better idea. You check yours. The % of car accidents related to speed compared to anything else is VERY small.

And the biggest problem with this law isn't the 50 over part. It's the "stunting" part.

Aggressive lane changes, squealing tires, almost anything can be considered "stunting". This is SOLEY up to the officer's discretion. They can impound your car if you make a lane change and they call it "aggressive".

So let's see... Young teenager, nice car, jealous cop. If I make a lane change that's even questionable, the cop can take my car. It's his word against mine, and even if I'm found innocent in court, my car's already been taken for a week, and I have the impound fines to pay.

Middle aged lady driving a Camry accidentally squeals her tires. Cop won't care, it's an accident. I accidentally do the same thing in my car and I guarantee you I'm in the back of a cruiser watching my car get towed.

That's the problem. No one's arguing 100 in a 50 zone should be ok.

Speeding is really a red herring and its the easiest for the police to deal with as they have the role of Tax collector. MurphyG, all the points you raised have a great deal of value to them, However rather than looking at the speeding and racing and stunt driving issue, it may be wiser to look at what is causing this? First off, speed limits on our roads are too low, people have been voting with their right foot for decades. That means the 400 series as well as the rural roads, 130 on the main and 100 on the rural would be a good place to start. We also need to recognize that society in general has changed.. The 'Just in Time' system in place has caused more mayhem and rushing than anything else in our recent history, This is what causes the trucks to speed like maniacs to get their loads delivered on time, if not then they do not get paid, pretty good motivation. In Brampton a gravel truck tore through an intersection just sounding his horn, reason, he was trying to make a living, The real reason, Airport road has become a traffic light nightmare, that combined with lower speed limits have turned this fellows life into a nightmare. This was not taking away from those poor people who he hit but as with everything, there are always two sides to everything. Now of course the cops will wait there so they can nab people, this on a 6 lane road with a 60 limit. We also need to have a set standard for Stop signs, and speed limits throughout the province, Drive through Orr lake on hwy 93 and ask yourself why it has a 50 limit, no reason for it, political only, Stop signs have sprouted all over, not for safety sake, just for NIMBY's who do not want people travelling on their arterial roads, not cul de sacs, We have to stop putting schools on main roads, it is not safe for the little ones to be so near a highway, Cookstown and Hillsdale, and on Hwy 88 good examples of where not to put schools, Essa road coming into Barrie, A Timothy Christian School decided to squat and now we are cursed with a 40 limit through there, Ardagh road in Barrie, another silly design, this has now got 4 lanes and a 50 limit rather than the 80 it once had, Madness. We also have to realize that for some strange reason, people have declared war on the car, this in a country that is not made for public transit. Ironically, Toronto has a higher limit on its main streets than everybody else, 60 versus 50. Once we get everything in proper perspective and every community is online then we can look for some solutions.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Caddyshack100 View Post
    Speeding is really a red herring and its the easiest for the police to deal with as they have the role of Tax collector. MurphyG, all the points you raised have a great deal of value to them, However rather than looking at the speeding and racing and stunt driving issue, it may be wiser to look at what is causing this? First off, speed limits on our roads are too low, people have been voting with their right foot for decades. That means the 400 series as well as the rural roads, 130 on the main and 100 on the rural would be a good place to start. We also need to recognize that society in general has changed.. The 'Just in Time' system in place has caused more mayhem and rushing than anything else in our recent history, This is what causes the trucks to speed like maniacs to get their loads delivered on time, if not then they do not get paid, pretty good motivation. In Brampton a gravel truck tore through an intersection just sounding his horn, reason, he was trying to make a living, The real reason, Airport road has become a traffic light nightmare, that combined with lower speed limits have turned this fellows life into a nightmare. This was not taking away from those poor people who he hit but as with everything, there are always two sides to everything. Now of course the cops will wait there so they can nab people, this on a 6 lane road with a 60 limit. We also need to have a set standard for Stop signs, and speed limits throughout the province, Drive through Orr lake on hwy 93 and ask yourself why it has a 50 limit, no reason for it, political only, Stop signs have sprouted all over, not for safety sake, just for NIMBY's who do not want people travelling on their arterial roads, not cul de sacs, We have to stop putting schools on main roads, it is not safe for the little ones to be so near a highway, Cookstown and Hillsdale, and on Hwy 88 good examples of where not to put schools, Essa road coming into Barrie, A Timothy Christian School decided to squat and now we are cursed with a 40 limit through there, Ardagh road in Barrie, another silly design, this has now got 4 lanes and a 50 limit rather than the 80 it once had, Madness. We also have to realize that for some strange reason, people have declared war on the car, this in a country that is not made for public transit. Ironically, Toronto has a higher limit on its main streets than everybody else, 60 versus 50. Once we get everything in proper perspective and every community is online then we can look for some solutions.
    Again... The people who got hit in that truck accident appear to be completely innocent according to most people. The big dump truck and the girl that got hit were going opposite directions. If the dump truck had a red, so did the girl.

It's a big dump truck... Not easy to stop. How you don't see a big dump truck, and then decide to drive out in front of one is a mystery to me. Would someone step onto a street and walk in front of a moving car? Why do they do that in a car? Don't tell me they can't judge that the dump truck can't stop. How can someone who can't judge the speed/intentions of another vehicle obtain a driver's license?

That's where the problem lies. There are way too many clueless people on the streets.

And the media just loves to blow shit outta proportion. They went on and on about how the girl was a student at York university, blah blah blah. It's not relevant. What she does and who she is has nothing to do with how the accident happened.

Same with the couple that got flattened while making a left turn. Blah blah blah. One daughter left behind. What does that have to do with the cause/fault of the accident? Nothing. But the media uses it to mess with the public to get these stupid laws passed. THEN, they VERY QUIETLY release the info. that the father who was killed was drunk off his ass by over 2x the legal amount.

And then you guys all fall into it screaming street racing this street racing that.

Jon, its my understanding that the people who were killed, were making a left turn on a green light, the gravel truck drove through a red light with his horn blaring, correct me if I am wrong here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.