Cadillac Owners Forum banner

$2 Billion Class Action Lawsuit Alleges Automakers Conspired Against Cdn. Car Buyers

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  4DoorGTZ 
#1 ·
Wednesday September 26, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff

The high Canadian dollar has demonstrated the difference between prices here and the same goods in the U.S. And now that gap may help a case wind up in court. A Toronto law firm has filed a $2 billion class action lawsuit against North American auto manufacturers, claiming they jacked up the price of new cars to discourage Canadians from buying an automobile across the border.

The suit covers anyone who bought a new car between August 2005 and August 2007 and names Honda, Nissan, Chrysler and the troubled GM in both Canada and the U.S., which is still reeling from the effects of a newly settled UAW strike. Both the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association and the National Automobile Dealers Association, a U.S. partner based in Virginia, are also cited.

Class action suits all have one thing in common - they need to have someone fronting them. In this case, the plaintiffs are four Toronto residents who claim the industry conspired to keep them from getting a better deal. They contend the automakers had a tacit pact not to honour warranties bought down south, a situation that forced consumers who wanted that coverage to pay 25 to 35 per cent more on average for a vehicle sold here.

None of the allegations have been proven in court and the case may never actually reach there. The suits need to be certified by a judge, who has to find justifiable grounds to allow them to proceed. If they get that far, they are often settled beforehand for lesser amounts before actually going to court.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yep.

Look at this..

Brand new base Corvette here: $69k CAD
Brand new Z06 in the States: $70k USD.

With the exchange rate it is now.... WHY would anyone buy ANYTHING up here?

My dad's looking at a C6. There is no way in hell it's going to be a Canadian car. They're going for $42k brand new in the States.

#7 ·
^ Cadillac treats it like any other car after 6mo/12k km..... I guess if you were able to cannonball your diff that quick, wait the 6mo?

#9 ·
Nels
DO NOT TRY to import the GTO. Since GM didn't sell them here GM didn't test them for transport Canada. SOOO unless you want to do a crash test etc for Transport Canada...I paid US$40,000 for my 2006 with 125 miles in Dec 2006. Same car here in Calgary new CDN$73,000! With exchange I figure I saved $23,000. I talked to a friend who is a sales manager at dealership. They aren't happy with the fact that they have to sell at much higher price, are making customers angry and losing sales.

#10 ·
Bought mine used but still, was $15k less then 2 comprable ones for sale localy (which were bone stock) and mine has over $10k in mods (s/c being most of that)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.