Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Which oil change reminder should I follow?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nstar 
#1 ·
Should I change my XTS's oil as indicated by the vehicle's electronic oil change monitor, or should I follow the 90-day, 3,000 mile schedule on the windshield sticker the dealer put on my car at the 7,000 mile first oil change?

#5 ·
Re: Who really benefits from a 3,000 mile oil change

About the only ones that really need a 3,000-mile oil change are the quick-lube outlets and dealership service departments. In their internal industry communications, they're frank about how oil changes bring in customers. "Many people...know when to have their oil changed but don't pay that much attention to it," said an article in the National Oil and Lube News online newsletter. "Take advantage of that by using a window sticker system [and] customers will be making their way back to you in a few short months."

Another National Oil and Lube News article tied the frequency of oil changes to success in pushing related products and services. For a midsize SUV, the stepped-up oil change intervals will bring in $1,800 over the life of the car, the article says. "A few extra services [or oil changes] can go a long way toward increasing the amount of money a customer will spend during the lifespan we estimated here," the article concludes.

I had an article once upon a time that showed Pennzoil would lose like $368,000,000.00 just by increasing change intervals to 4000 mi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.