Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2013-2014 XTS Reliability?

26K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Mike_W 
#1 ·
This summer I am thinking about buying a 2015 XTS. Could some of you tell me about the quality and reliability of the 2013-2014 models? How has the 3.6L v6 performed and is it adequate for the size of this car? I have some concerns about this car because the latest Consumer Reports rates it as "Worst than Average" for reliability for 2015 based on history with the 2013-2014 models. From what I was able to assertain some of the issues were derived with problems with the CUE system. However, I realize that I have to look at Consumer reports with a grain of salt as the old saying goes because they have a tendency to favor foreign imports versus domestics. I decided to get the truth from folks who actually have actual experiences with these cars and that is why I have come to this forum. The question I have regarding the 3.6L V6 stems from the fact that I know that Cadillac has had serious problems in the past with this engine in the older CTS's with excessive oil consumption and engine failure. Since I'm a baby boomer, I prefer large luxury cars and in addition to the XTS I am also considering the 2015 Chrysler 300C with the 5.7L HEMI V8. I would appreciate any feedback that anyone can give me. Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
I have a 2013 premium that I purchased new about 14 months ago. I have very low mileage on it. There has been 2 recalls. Both were taken care of with no fuss. I have had the first oil change and what ever they do along with it. Early on the glove box was not opening when I pushed the button release. It did that for a couple of days and stopped on its own. The button are sensitive on the pager and a few times I had the trunk open because my pockets were too tight. The cue has a learning curve. Once you get the hang of it and you have all your settings set its pretty easy use. Not as easy as the I Pad that came with the car but its ok. Personally I think the dash looks great but I would still like it better with some buttons and knobs. They don't look as "modern" but they are easier to use. The engine is fine. Its the non turbo and has more than enough power for my road use. Brakes are also very good. The car is comfortable. Looks are great. I have the front wheel drive and it did see use during last years brutal winter on the days i wasn't driving my wife's suv. It drove very well. I liked to put it in sport mode for these snowy/icy rides and I was very satisfied on the car staying under control and stopping with confidence. Thats about it.

#3 ·
I would take one for a long drive, don't just go around the block. We have owned Cadillacs since 1993 and this will be our last one.
I think the car should be smoother and more quite on the highway, some people seem to think it's the tires and they may be right.
If I had to do it over again I would try a Lexus and a Mercedes and then decide which I liked the most. I will probably sell ours next year and get something else.

#4 ·
I have the 2013 XTS. It rides very smooth and is very quiet. No problems with the engine at all, lots of power as far as I'm concerned. There have been some recalls which have all been taken care of by my dealer with a free loaner car for the day. Spend a lot of time with the car. If you like it don't be afraid to buy it. I really enjoy mine.

#5 ·
I have a 2013 XTS-4 Premium purchased new in July 2013. It has a little over 10k miles on it. It's simply a great car. The engine is quite adequate with 300+ hp, and the handling is surprisingly good for a big car. Sport mode improves the handling even more and allows manual shifting of the auto trans. (My other car is a 2005 Corvette, so I do have high standards for power and handling.) I have had NO significant problems with this car. There were a couple of recalls for potential problems I never experienced, and they were handled quickly by my dealer. There is a slight rattle in the overhead unit containing the HomeLink garage door buttons, and I'll have the dealer fix that when I go in soon for the next oil change. The car is remarkably quiet and smooth on the road. Some have complained about the ride, and about the Goodyear tires. I suspect Michelins would ride better. And it seems most people find the tire pressure monitors read 3 - 4 psi low, which probably results in a lot of tires being slightly overinflated; that could worsen the ride. I have no complaints. But I have Magnetic Ride Control on this model, and I don't know how the standard suspension is. Also, folks with the Platinum model have different wheels and tires, and they seem to have more complaints. Hope this is helpful.

#6 ·
I'm satisfied with mine so far...beautiful design, seats are comfortable and are well designed when compared to other Cadillac models that I will not mention here. Power is adequate and the brakes work very well, wet or dry conditions. The only thing that broke on me is the center console light switch. (it shorted out, dealer ordered part) My CUE system also needed to be updated but you wouldn't need to deal with that on a 2015...like others have said, take a LONG test drive and play with CUE. Although CUE has a bit of a learning curve, it's worth spending the extra time to figure out...you'll also get the SMS/TEXT app with the 2015 so you're good on that end. In terms of the 3.6 reliability, it is too early to tell BUT having owned a 2nd gen CTS, I understand why you are concerned! I've seen a few XTS's listed with 168k miles on them with the same engine so that must be a good sign. Another thing I'd like to mention is that the gas mileage in my XTS FWD has been nothing short of a miracle! (I have been averaging 21.5-22.5, 80% suburb driving...my CTS would only average 17mpg at best in the same conditions and my 13 LaCrosse was at 18mpg) If I could do it call over again, I'd go for the XTS BUT would get a Premium or Platinum VSport! Lol, we can NEVER have too much power! Good luck with your decision.

#8 ·
Driving Cadillacs since 1970 including the DTS.
The XTS is a great car, significant improvement
over my last DTS primarily in the power handling
and fuel economy brackets. DTS was better looking.
A couple issues have been corrected by the dealer.
Cadillac has always corrected my issues over the years.
If ordering an XTS:
1. Be sure to get the $350 spare tire.
2. Stay away from the 20 inch wheels. Have had no
problem but the small sidewall makes me nervous.
Power wise my Vsport would blow the doors off all
the Cadillacs and most of hot rods I have owned thru
the years. The CT6 is looking like a light weight jack
of all trades non flagship problem. The more I hear
about the CT6 lessens my previous intention to buy it.

#10 ·
Oh yea as far as the wheels, when I purchased mine one of the things I looked for was that it had 19" wheels. Researching online I read that they give you a smoother ride than the 20" 's. The wheels that come with the premium are also very cool looking. My previous car was a 2010 SRX turbo. That had 20" 's and I found it too rough for my taste. I took my car out for a good ride on the Tpke today. It was pretty warm and I had the sunroof open and the radio cranked up. What a joy it was. Effortless cruising with plenty of power for passing when needed. It really is nice car. Oh and speaking of the radio the one that comes with the premium model is as good as I ever heard coming with any car from the factory. I used Onstar to input the destination for me. That is also a plus.

#11 ·
Bought my 2014 V-Sport Platinum on 12/4/2013. I have 17.5K miles on mine. Two minor recalls were quickly addressed during oil changes. Zero problems on warranty - this was my biggest concern when purchasing the vehicle. It's still early in the car's life though.

Love the 20 inch wheels and happy car doesn't ride like "old" Cadillacs. Interior is stunning and very comfortable. I use the adaptive cruise control a lot and it works better than the version on my previous S-Class.

I have the spare tire option, but have not had a need for it. I would still purchase it on a new vehicle.

The turning radius is quite impressive and the AWD really does well in snow. If the car continues to be reliable, my next car will be a Cadillac.

#13 ·
Do not worry about reliability. No one makes a bad car nowadays. You could have problems with any car. Car manufacturers can't please everyone. If you read any of these posts on this forum you will see some love the XTS and some hate it. I went from a Hemi Charger to the XTS. I loved the power of the Hemi so I was not sure how I would feel about the V6. It's fine. I'm a baby boomer like you so maybe I just don't care about the power anymore but I have not found it to be a problem. I have 37k on the car now and have had only a few minor problems. One light bulb and a loose backup camera. The car is comfortable on long trips and handles well in the city. Consumer Reports seem to hate American cars. I've had nothing but American cars and have had good luck with all of them. I bought the XTS not because it was a Cadillac but because I like the styling, the room, and it pretty much fit every thing I wanted in a car. I'm not a big tech guy so the CUE works fine for me. The CUE has its glitches but I can live with them. You have to go look at the XTS and drive it. You will know if you like it or not. If you do, don't be afraid to buy it.

#14 ·
Purchased our XTS on Sept 7, 2012 and in the words of that great poet Lil Weezy I got 99 problem but my XTS ain't one of them. As of today I've put 39181 miles on mines and other than recalls and a bad battery it's been a dream. Ride is excellent, and roomy as heck for a big guy.The big thing to me is the power v mpg the car accomplish with a V6 pushing a 4200lb car. Just did LA to Las Vegas 546 mile roumd trip 78 mph avg. hwy. @2.88 a gal spent $69.88.

#15 ·
Please keep in mind that using OEM RFT's (run flat tires) will always, ALWAYS be a compromise to the ride of the car. This complaint carries over thru BMW, and just about every other MFG that uses RFT's as standard issue. Quite frankly, TIRE companies are pushing these on the auto industry and they are premature in doing so. Yes, they resist road hazards fairly well to a point, but they have yet to refine the ride quality...there is none.

Get some quality non-RFT's and you will be amazed with the not so subtle improvement in the ride of the car.

#16 ·
I've had one issue with my 22K mile XTS4: The hazard light switch failed once, in the middle
of the night and, by the time I went out in the morning, the car was as dead as a doornail. The
flashers had flashed all night (thank you neighbors who saw but didn't bother to ring my doorbell!)
I had to have it boosted and my dealer fixed me up in about 20 minutes.

Other than that, it's been an outstanding car that (in the pearl white) gets a ton of attention
from well-wishers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.