13 Cadillac XTS issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, 13 Cadillac XTS issues in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, Bought a used 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum AWD that has 10.5k miles (bought it with 8k miles). Couple ...
    o8z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

13 Cadillac XTS issues

Hello all,

Bought a used 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum AWD that has 10.5k miles (bought it with 8k miles). Couple issues I noticed and wanted to hear if anyone else is experiencing these things.

-Steering wheel clicking sound while turning. I thought I read somewhere online there was a fix for. Been to the dealer three times, first two they acted like I was crazy and would not acknowledge the sound. The third trip they finally did acknowledge it, but claimed it was normal operation. IMO its a joke, going to try a second dealership here soon. Does anyone maybe know the exact fix so I can help the dealership figure this issue
    out?

-Clicking coming from what sounded like headliner. While driving I put my finger over the microphone above drivers seat and the noise stopped. Told dealership, all I got from them was it was "seated properly" and there
    wasn't anything they could do. Anyone have had this issue?

-Transmission, first of all I have never seen a car not decide what gear to be in or how long it feels like riding a gear out. I do live in a hilly area and its way more noticeable than when driving on the highway. Sometimes i'll let off the gas and it will clunk into the next gear, i notice this happening a lot coming up to stopped traffic, car will shift fine till 3rd then it will ride 3rd gear above 2k rpms for a way longer time than it should, and then when I let off due to traffic, it clunks into 4th gear, very annoying. It's like dang, just shift Caddy, it doesn't have to be so difficult.

I have also noticed a hazard with this car and maybe some others have had this happen or not. Lets say I'm driving down a road for a mile or so (no stopping just cruising in 4th or 5th gear around 45 mph). Then there is a stop sign coming up so i start braking the car to slow down. It clunks on downshift to 3rd gear, then while downshifting to 2nd and 1st gear, the car lunges forward hard (keep in mind no foot on the gas, just the brake) and the rpm's jump from idle to 2k immediately and the car keeps going forward till i slam the brakes down almost to floor. (car is maybe going 5-10 mph tops when this happens) This is obviously not safe at all. I have noticed it happens when stopping from driving at least a mile or so, never happens in stop and go traffic. It in a sense really worries me, the one time this car catches me somewhat off guard it may very well take me into the car in front of me, if there is someone stopped. Luckily today, when it decided to do this, there was no one in front of me. Please tell me someone else experienced this? Since it's so random, having the dealer replicate this will be, like finding a needle in a haystack? I may just put a go pro camera in my car at all times aimed right at the tachometer, just to prove I am not crazy...

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RockvilleXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum
    The clicking steering wheel was addressed a while back, and there is a thread about this: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-column.html The lurching transmission, in my experience, is a reality, under certain downshifting conditions. I've just grown accustomed to it, and I haven't had it to the extent that you have described it. But it can be surprising at times. Haven't had the clicking headliner, although mine does droop a bit in the back. The fix was too drastic for my tastes (which required removal of the rear window, and possible paint damage on black diamond paint -- not good!), so I just let it droop. It's really not that bad. I thought about putting a little silicone on the magnets, but decided it wasn't obvious and it didn't bother me that much.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: 13 Cadillac XTS issues

If you truly feel you are experiencing a sudden unintended acceleration, you need to report this to NHTSA. (you may want to at least have this documented at your dealer as well)

o8z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the reply guys, I will try a different dealership and see where I get. I will make them aware of the issues I have with this car, and have the transmission issue documented. If I can get the steering clicking sound fixed that will keep me happy enough, i guess. I think it's the dealerships that frustrate me the most. It's not like a steering wheel or headliner issue should be hard to fix for an experienced mechanic, but I guess it is.

Thanks again.

EdCTJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Vsport

Have 2014 XTS Vsport with just over 1000 miles on it.
    While slowing down for a stop the trans occasionally
    feels like it goes into neutral giving the driver a free
    wheeling sensation. Like putting the clutch in on a
    stick shift. The trans is not in neutral if you apply
    the gas it shifts a bit hard and goes. Wondering if
    any relation to Ed’s surge. When this happens you
    need more brake pressure, the engine and trans
    stops helping you slow down.

bigcaddyfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS-4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by EdCTJ View Post
    Have 2014 XTS Vsport with just over 1000 miles on it.
    While slowing down for a stop the trans occasionally
    feels like it goes into neutral giving the driver a free
    wheeling sensation. Like putting the clutch in on a
    stick shift. The trans is not in neutral if you apply
    the gas it shifts a bit hard and goes. Wondering if
    any relation to Ed’s surge. When this happens you
    need more brake pressure, the engine and trans
    stops helping you slow down.
    Yes, I get something like that also.
    Looking at the rev counter as it does it, I get the impression that taking your foot off the gas can confuse the transmission to change up to a higher (or even highest) gear.This means there is no engine braking effect, even if there had been, a second ago, in the previous gear. This leads to the free-wheeling feeling! Its rather disconcerting.
    If you are in the sport mode, you can force it to a lower gear, or even hold it in a lower gear, so you don't get this effect. But then you have to tolerate the harsher 'sport mode' ride.
    If you stay in the 'normal' softer ride, I have not found a way to prevent this effect - except to using the brakes more often. This tends to lower the gas mileage more than the benefit this 'overdrive' effect is supposed to give!
    I hate having to use the brakes one second, and the gas next second, when a bit of engine braking could achieve the same effect. But watching the rev counter drop to well over 1000rpm, its no surprise there is no engine braking. When stopped, the idle is about 750rpm. Although a lower idle (engine) speed might help, I think the computer has a mind of its own, and won't allow it to drop that low when still moving. Any one know if idle speed is adjustable or if you can make the revs drop quicker? Maybe a stronger return spring on the gas pedal?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by o8z06 View Post
    Hello all,

Bought a used 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum AWD that has 10.5k miles (bought it with 8k miles). Couple issues I noticed and wanted to hear if anyone else is experiencing these things.

-Steering wheel clicking sound while turning. I thought I read somewhere online there was a fix for. Been to the dealer three times, first two they acted like I was crazy and would not acknowledge the sound. The third trip they finally did acknowledge it, but claimed it was normal operation. IMO its a joke, going to try a second dealership here soon. Does anyone maybe know the exact fix so I can help the dealership figure this issue
    out?

-Clicking coming from what sounded like headliner. While driving I put my finger over the microphone above drivers seat and the noise stopped. Told dealership, all I got from them was it was "seated properly" and there
    wasn't anything they could do. Anyone have had this issue?

-Transmission, first of all I have never seen a car not decide what gear to be in or how long it feels like riding a gear out. I do live in a hilly area and its way more noticeable than when driving on the highway. Sometimes i'll let off the gas and it will clunk into the next gear, i notice this happening a lot coming up to stopped traffic, car will shift fine till 3rd then it will ride 3rd gear above 2k rpms for a way longer time than it should, and then when I let off due to traffic, it clunks into 4th gear, very annoying. It's like dang, just shift Caddy, it doesn't have to be so difficult.

I have also noticed a hazard with this car and maybe some others have had this happen or not. Lets say I'm driving down a road for a mile or so (no stopping just cruising in 4th or 5th gear around 45 mph). Then there is a stop sign coming up so i start braking the car to slow down. It clunks on downshift to 3rd gear, then while downshifting to 2nd and 1st gear, the car lunges forward hard (keep in mind no foot on the gas, just the brake) and the rpm's jump from idle to 2k immediately and the car keeps going forward till i slam the brakes down almost to floor. (car is maybe going 5-10 mph tops when this happens) This is obviously not safe at all. I have noticed it happens when stopping from driving at least a mile or so, never happens in stop and go traffic. It in a sense really worries me, the one time this car catches me somewhat off guard it may very well take me into the car in front of me, if there is someone stopped. Luckily today, when it decided to do this, there was no one in front of me. Please tell me someone else experienced this? Since it's so random, having the dealer replicate this will be, like finding a needle in a haystack? I may just put a go pro camera in my car at all times aimed right at the tachometer, just to prove I am not crazy...

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ed
    Hi Ed,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve experienced these issues in your XTS and I can understand how frustrating the lack of a resolution would be. I know you’re looking for feedback from the forum at the moment, but if you would ever like an additional layer of assistance while working with the dealership, please feel free to PM me.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.