Ventilated vs Cooled seats
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Ventilated vs Cooled seats in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had a new 14 XTS as a rental today as my DTS was at the dealer for some small ...
    DTS man33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, Had 2000 Deville DTS and 2003 Deville DTS

Ventilated vs Cooled seats

I had a new 14 XTS as a rental today as my DTS was at the dealer for some small work. I have seen this come up on this forum in the past in reguards to how worthless ventilated seats are. My DTS has the actual cooled seats and they are amazing on hot days and really cool the seat down. I tried the ventilated seats on the new XTS and felt nothing at all. I did some small research and found that most automakers use these ventilated seats, heck even a $90K S-Class uses them. However I see that Ford still uses the cooled seats. My friend has a newer Chrysler 300 and he has the same argument with the ventilated seats not doing what they should. I guess the DTS was a standout when it came to these seats as even the STS had ventilated seats. I sure hope Cadillac gets back into offering them on the new flagship. Was is just a cost cutting measure or were people not liking the cooled seat option for the reason they stopped making them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ma2ch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Vsport

Re: Ventilated vs Cooled seats

I agree. Had a DTS with cooled seats. Now seems like most automakers are using ventilated seats. My DTS's seats were far more cooling, but I had to replace the cooling mechanism once and set me back about $500. Wish my XTS had cooled seats.

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

I once saw a heated/cooled Recaro seat from a CTS-V taken apart for repair, and the cooling portion is just a 4 cooling fans inside the cushions (2 back and 2 butt). I think the idea is they grab the cool air coming from the under seat floor AC outlets and blow through, but no actually cooling system (Freon or whatever) is inside the seat. My STS-V did not have any cooling feature on the seats. Does the DTS have an actual cooling system in the seats, like Freon coils or something similar?

jeiler9865 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac technician
    No there are different systems being used, some just suck air for the cushion with a fan(cts) and some use a dual input and output to remove heat from the cushion and expel it under the seat. No system GM uses has any freon in it and the seats need to be pulled out for service. The XLR was the first two use the dual style and some designs are flawed with the outputs, like first gen escalade platinum's, with the air becoming trapped in the seat.

CTE OP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS, CTS, XTS, SRX, Escalade

The answer that I've heard is that cooled seats often had design issues that led to condensation building up under the seat that caused mildew. Not sure as to the accuracy of that though. Ventilated seats use the air from the cabin (that may or may not be cooled already) and pushes it through the seats. It probably won't feel very cold unless you're either sweating or the vehicle was remote started (allowing the cabin air to cool significantly before entering).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.