2013 XTS gas nozzle clicks off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, 2013 XTS gas nozzle clicks off in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have two Cadillac's .. a 2010 SRX and a 2013 XTS .. the SRX has a cap gas tank ...
    Hampstead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS & 2010 SRX

Thumbs down 2013 XTS gas nozzle clicks off

I have two Cadillac's .. a 2010 SRX and a 2013 XTS .. the SRX has a cap gas tank .. the XTS is a cap less design and yet I can't fill them both up at the same gas station. After contacted the dealer, and GM TAC I was told that it's operating as designed .. ah, BS! Both are of Cadillac design and yet there's a problem. Dealer and GM smart guys say it's the station station pump and the vapor bellows on the nozzle ... I did say I take both to the same gas station .. and they're both Cadillac's. I've done a lot of research for them .. video .. photos .. emails ... and yet without inspecting all the parts (tank neck and the fill up tube flaps for defects . it's my problem .. choosing the wrong gas station. In my area I've found that there are two types of bellows/evaporator boots on the end of the nozzles .. a smaller one without a hole in the rubber and a larger boot with a finger size hole. Gas stations with the smaller boot - I have no problems .. a station with the larger boot and the hole .. the nozzle clicks off with pennies being added .. sometimes I can just squeeze the handle a third and I can fill up .. most of the time the gas nozzle clicks off with just pennies added. In 2012 the government ruled that gas stations no longer need to add these evap boots on the end of the nozzle. Take a look at the end of the nozzle next time you get gas .. there's a ring and then search the web for nozzles getting stuck .. when stations remove the evap boot the nozzle has to go deeper into the neck and thus would increase the possibility of getting stuck... did GM designers consider this?? Stay away from vehicles with the cap less feature .. read other web postings about the problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2013 XTS gas nozzle clicks off

Update question: Today I was told by a GM parts person that the 2014's cap less vehicles don't have two gas tank neck flaps .. the top one was eliminated. Why? Can anyone verify? If GM caught on to the 2012 government ruling about gas stations no longer are required to have the evap/boots on the nozzles and that nozzles are getting stuck .. it sounds like a catchup on the design and a basis for a recall on the 2013's. What do you think?

5.0 lsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium
    Ive never had a problem, does this happen at all gas stations?
    r34220 likes this.

No not all ... the gas stations that sell crap gas (7-11, Steez etc) .. no problem .. the rubber evap boot bellows on the nozzle end are different. Where it works fine .. the rubber evap boot is smaller without a finger sized hole ... at the Shell station in town the evap boot is longer and has a finger sized hole. Yesterday, I tried another Shell station .. one that had no evap boot and the nozzle neck didn't have the ring that I was concerned about (perhaps now compliant with the 2102 government ruling I mentioed) .. however, it still clicked off several times and the nozzle doesn't have the ring to possibly get stuck but there is a large spring p/o the nozzle which could be pushed in too far and get stuck. I'v discovered that the 2013 and 2014 XTS have different filler neck pn's .. hmmm .. why? I will update when I find out.
    OBTW .. what state are you from and what stations to you go to?

----------

It's not a XTS ... but GM knew about this problem ... flow rate .. and should have designed filler necks to handle the faster rate which gas station pumps now use .. Read responses #4, 10, 12 & 14 ... and Cadillac Customer Service replies ... from 2011

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-gas-tank.html

I have a 13 but only go to 1 gas station, a bp. I have been to a chevron and a shell before with this vehicle however.

bigcaddyfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS-4 Premium

Hampstead, what state are you in? I've never had a problem in Colorado!

Hampstead is a town in Maryland .. thus, my user name.

Not a complete answer yet but a GM parts person is going to check/compare the filler necks of the 2103 & 2014 XTS .. inside dia. ... oddly they have different pn's ... 22920139 for the 2013 wo/awd and 22986681 for the 2014 .. kinda makes you wonder why .. also, I found some government documents that tell a person who tests gas stations pumps .. how to perform the test and one test is flow rate .. a max flow rate of 10 gals /minute is indicated .. so, if GM didn't consider this .. and I wish I could show you because the diagram I have for the 2013 filler neck isn't a straight shot .. it goes down and does a sharp - what looks like a 90 deg turn before it goes into the tank ... then GM design can't handle 10 gals / minute at this turn .. it sounds to me like a recall is needed .. what do you guys think?

Are the pns different for awd or fwd or for 13 or 14s? Is there a different routing for the fuel filler neck for awd vehicles?

The 2013 has two pn's ... the one I mentioned wo/awd (22920139) which should be fwd .. and pn 22832379 w/awd ... (this was verified too with the parts person .. the last 6 or 8 didgits of your vin # tells them which one goes in your XTS) .... routing? I can only guess there must be some differnt path having more stuff near the gas tank for awd ... and since you asked a little more stated on these 2013 pn's ... the first pn for wo/awd is defined as 1st design and the w/awd as 2nd design ... 1st design - 2nd design .. why not say for wo/awd and w/awd ... kinda odd ... and the 2014 pn I mentioned is the only one stated.

I'm still waiting for the information on the comparison of the tank neck inner dia's. .. I'll update when I find out.

Quick update on whether 2014's have a changed fuel flap design in the filler neck .. was the upper flap removed ... NO. We visited a PA Cadillac dealership today and spoke with a salesman .. he said that no models and most likely those in the future - as far as he knows .. will or have changed the current design on the 2013 XTS to s signal flap. Monday I'll how some more information on the filler neck.

oops ..reply#10

... will "NOT" have changed the current design on the 2013 XTS to signal flap.

r34220 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

I have never had this issue with my 2013

update ... kinda ... the GM contact parts person was not able to obtain the filler neck dia. dimensions .. I guess there was a limit to what his contact could actually access or it's proprietary. I was able to obtain a GM doc ID 884413 titled "Poor Fuel Fill Quality".

This document has five problems listed with possible causes:
    1. Difficult to Fill ... Causes: fuel fill limiter valve stuck closed ... evaporative emission (EVAP) canister restricted .. EVAP vent valve stuck closed .. hose between canister vent solenoid twisted or kinked if applicable .. high fuel temperature .. fuel filler hose kinked ... faulty dispensing nozzle .. ignition switch ON, vent valve closed

2. Over Fill ... Causes: fuel fill limiter valve stuck open or leaking .. fuel inlet check valve stuck open

3. Pre-mature shut-off of the fuel dispensing nozzle occurs immediately after engaging dispensing nozzle, tank empty .. Causes: .. restricted vapor lines or fuel fill pipe .. high fuel temperature .. inlet check valve at tank stuck closed, fill pipe full of fuel .... fuel tank full, gauge not accurate

4. Pre-mature shut-off of the fuel dispensing nozzle more than 1/8 of tank capacity dispensed.. Causes: .. Kinked, pinched or plugged lines in fuel tank vent system ... EVAP vent valve stuck closed or restricted ... EVAP canister restricted .. fuel limiting vent valve stuck closed or obstruction at top of fuel tank

5. Fuel spit back .. Causes: ... restricted EVAP canister.. high fuel temperature .. ignition switch ON, vent valve closed

Question to anyone: the 3 item above .. and cause "inlet check valve at tank stuck closed, fill pipe full of fuel" .. is this inlet check valve part of or on of the tank .. where is it really found .. I can't find it on any GM parts site? If it goes bad what are the symptoms?

Update .. I met with the gas station owner of the station I frequently go to. First, he told me that his pumps have a flow rate of no more than 8 gals/minute .. max standard permitted is 10 gals/minute and the pump design will not permit them to pump more than 10 gals/minute.

So, right off the bat GM's answer to me during my compliant about too much fuel pump pressure at this station has been disproved!!!

Okay, first test - we pumped gas with the existing Husky nozzle .. it has the long evap boot .. nozzle clicked while adding gas.

Next test ... he then change the nozzle to an OPW brand nozzle ... same results .. clicking.

Third test .. he suggested not holding the nozzle during filling .. just put the nozzle in and set the lever .. it worked! ..and has worked twice since.

Ah, we're not done .. there is some reason this happens and I'm still working on it. For 50+ years I have held the gas nozzle during fill ups - now I have to learn something new .. LOL!! Seriously, it should work both ways.

Here's my guess: I hope I can explain it well enough to understand ...

The pump nozzle that delivers gas to the fuel tank neck has a hole at the end associated with the evap & shutoff. I assume that it's located on the nozzle tip end at the six o'clock position. When the nozzle hangs, and you don't hold it, that hole should be farther from the tank neck side/wall ... but is a distance (what?) necessary for air flow control used to shut off the pump nozzle??? If I hold the nozzle - could you be placing that evap hole for shutoff too close to the neck side/wall? Here's the big question - could that reduced distance while holding the nozzle deprive the evap hole of sufficient air that would case the nozzle to click off?

If GM has made a reduction in the tank neck diameter size .. could this create a condition which would make pump nozzles more sensitive to being shutoff during fill ups?

Stay tuned.

bigcaddyfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS-4 Premium

I don't have this problem on the XTS but on other cars rotating the handle 180 degrees cures the problem. Could be same cause as hold/don't hold effect. Anyone with this problem tried rotating the filler handle to see if it makes a difference?
    C&C likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.