Any Cadillac Techs Here? XTS Automatically activating parking brake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Any Cadillac Techs Here? XTS Automatically activating parking brake in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've noticed at intermittent times - it seems to be about once a month - I will start up the ...
    5.0 lsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium

Any Cadillac Techs Here? XTS Automatically activating parking brake

I've noticed at intermittent times - it seems to be about once a month - I will start up the car in the morning and the electronic parking brake is engaged. I would say that
    it happens once a month since I got the vehicle. I don't think I am hitting the switch accidentally this many times. I don't normally activate it when parking , especially when it goes in the garage overnight. Is there a feature on the car where it will activate it when parking it by itself in order to keep it working properly/adjusted? Just curious...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sonny3621 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium FWD Silver Coast Metallic

Re: Any Cadillac Techs Here? XTS Automatically activating parking brake

None that I'm aware of.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi 5.0 lsc,

I can see how the parking brake activating in this manner could be cause for concern. While I am not a technician, I would be happy to reach out to an internal resource with this question. If you would like to PM me your VIN, as well as any additional details you feel may be helpful, I can look into this and hopefully get you some information.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

vel7wil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium Black Diamond - 2011 CTS Luxury Black Raven
    Wrong answer

Quote Originally Posted by vel7wil View Post
    Wrong answer
    Haha....not really a problem it disengages as soon as i put it in drive, just wondering if this is a normal feature of the vehicle.

juneorta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS

OK, now I am thinking it was not me who engaged the parking brake. I've had my car (XTS 2014) going on two months and about a month ago, I noticed the same thing. The brake was on and at the time, I had no idea about how to actually engage it. The dealership told me how but I did not pay much attention since I rarely if ever use the parking brake (I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas...so it's pretty flat out here). So yes, add me to the list of XTS customers who are in the "automatically activating parking brake" club. Thanks for the post. I will do my best to follow up on other posts.

330GT is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS, 2014 XTS-P

Quote Originally Posted by juneorta View Post
    OK, now I am thinking it was not me who engaged the parking brake. I've had my car (XTS 2014) going on two months and about a month ago, I noticed the same thing. The brake was on and at the time, I had no idea about how to actually engage it. The dealership told me how but I did not pay much attention since I rarely if ever use the parking brake (I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas...so it's pretty flat out here). So yes, add me to the list of XTS customers who are in the "automatically activating parking brake" club. Thanks for the post. I will do my best to follow up on other posts.
    See your O/M page 9-27 where it states, ".... The vehicle may automatically apply the EPB in some situations when the vehicle is not moving. This is normal, and is done to periodically check the correct operation of the EPB system". Beyond that, I would guess that if the automatic EPB application is frequent, then it would be time to have it checked by the dealer.

ddawson is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

As long as it disengage when you are in Drive, there is no problem. Read the manual. Just another safety factor, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by 330GT View Post

See your O/M page 9-27 where it states, ".... The vehicle may automatically apply the EPB in some situations when the vehicle is not moving. This is normal, and is done to periodically check the correct operation of the EPB system". Beyond that, I would guess that if the automatic EPB application is frequent, then it would be time to have it checked by the dealer.
    Nice man thank you. I read it cover to cover and missed that. Question answered, and it is a nice feature.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.