Test drove a '14 Cadillac XTS standard model the other day - AWESOME!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By gig229
  • 1 Post By bigcaddyfan
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Test drove a '14 Cadillac XTS standard model the other day - AWESOME! in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The other day my wife and I decided to check out luxury cars because we had nothing to do. First ...
    gig229 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Test drove a '14 Cadillac XTS standard model the other day - AWESOME!

The other day my wife and I decided to check out luxury cars because we had nothing to do. First we went to Lincoln, and their MKS and MKZ sedans were nice but a bit overpriced for what you get. We stopped by Cadillac, and my wife really liked the XTS a lot. We saw the ATS and new CTS, but the XTS caught her eye. We're not in the market for a luxury car at this time, but my wife wanted to see how the XTS drove. Let's just say were blown away! Smooth, quiet ride but handles well, good acceleration, and of course acres of room to stretch out. It's a big car but really easy to drive. The interior is top notch in my opinion - GM really stepped up their game in the quality of materials. CUE seemed fussy but I like the technology and found it's okay once you get used to it. However, the one glaring omission in my opinion is that this base model had NO BACKUP CAMERA! What gives, GM? $44K and you cannot afford to put a $90 rear camera system in for safety? My wife and I found this big XTS hard to backup without the camera - it should have one standard just for safety reasons, not be part of the next trim line which costs almost $5K more.

My suggestion: include the rear backup camera on all XTS models for safety reasons (won't Buick include it on all the models they sell in 2015???). However GM, if your cost accountants are too cheap, at least make a kit available at the dealer to allow anyone purchasing a base model to easily add the rear camera (plug and play). You wouldn't lose money, and at least this important safety feature would be available to all owners.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Re: Test drove a '14 Cadillac XTS standard model the other day - AWESOME!

For what it's worth, in 2018 this will be a moot point. All cars will be required to have a backup camera.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...meras/7114531/

gig229 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the update...Cadillac should just make the backup camera standard now...
    longslim, r34220 and BlueAngel#07 like this.

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was shocked when a loaner car I was given for the day didn't have a back up camera. It's not a $90 item, it's more like $6 as long as the car already has a display. That was explained when the law was passed requiring back up cameras. Of course we now know how cheap GM is since they failed to fix the ignition key system due to an increase in cost of around 57 cents.

Zl700 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS-Vsport
    Back up cameras are overrated.
    If you were taught to properly drive with mirrors, and looking left and right who looks at it anyways
    Just an added distraction

sonny3621 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium FWD Silver Coast Metallic

I love my backup camera, especially in conjunction with the cross traffic alert system. With those 2 features I never even look out the windows anymore when I back up.

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The way the trunks and backs of cars are designed now a days you can't see the back of the car from the rear window. The back up camera prevents rear end damage.

BlueAngel#07 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Zl700 View Post
    Back up cameras are overrated.
    If you were taught to properly drive with mirrors, and looking left and right who looks at it anyways
    Just an added distraction
    Not really true, If you stop and think about the 3 year old that could chase his/her ball directly behind you and they completely out of your line of sight. With the best intentions of being safe it could happen. If for nothing but for the midgets....oops I mean little people... can't be to safe.

Zl700 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS-Vsport
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07
    Not really true, If you stop and think about the 3 year old that could chase his/her ball directly behind you and they completely out of your line of sight. With the best intentions of being safe it could happen. If for nothing but for the midgets....oops I mean little people... can't be to safe.
    No I will let the collision avoidance handle that rare occurrence. I know that works as when the dog runs around the car the brakes lock up.

bigcaddyfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS-4 Premium

I just wish there was a way to access the rear view camera at any time. That rear view out the window is poor, I would like to use the camera in traffic!
    Just a few lines of program - wish I knew how to hack the system!
    r34220 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.