Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Disappointing wheels - 2013 XTS Platinum

9K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  ccclarke 
#1 ·
I was just told by my dealership that my 2013 XTS Platinum with 15000 miles on it needs four new wheels to the tune of $3,300, due to "impact damage". Granted, this has been the worst pothole year in recent memory here in min-Michigan, but seriously? All four need to be replaced? It's not like I have been driving off cliffs, off road, or through backwater dirt washboards.

I find it really hard to believe that all four wheels failed. Pretty disappointing quality if that's all it takes to ruin wheels. Are they designed just to run on glass-smooth roads? I can believe one, or even two might have taken the brunt of a pothole, but for all four to be out-or-round is really suspect.

Anyone else had similar issues?

#4 ·
I have a 2014 XTS w/ 20" aluminum wheels. Bought the car this past Oct-2013. It has less than 7000 miles on it. I live in Michigan as well and the potholes have been pretty bad. I bought the tire & wheel warranty from local dealer as well. I ruined one tire and rim back in January and was paid for the tire only not the rim. Had to pay $700+ for the rim out of pocket. My car has been in the shop for over 2 weeks now and the dealer is telling me that all 4 rims are bent now including the new one that was replaced a couple of months ago. Once again, the warranty company has denied my claim. The dealer took pictures and videos of the rims and the vibration.

Couple of questions come to mind:
1. Are the rims that cheap that they bend with normal potholes
2. What recourse do I have with this insurance company and the dealer who represents them?

I so frustrated and dejected at this time after spending all this money on a XTS Platinum. Plus I've been without a car for over 2 weeks now and it's presented its own challenges. I'd like anyone to send me a private message to discuss further.

Take care,
Eric

#7 ·
I honestly would take your contract to a Lawyer and get his advice, it will be worth it. I have lived in Michigan for 65 years and drove 53 miles to work every day and only had 1 steel rim get bent from hitting a pothole big enough to bury Jimmy Hoffa in.

We both worked and have owned around 40 cars and never had the problems that you are experiencing with wheels. That's just not right. We moved to Georgia 5 years ago and the roads down here are great.

Please, see a Lawyer.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies folk. This got escalated to the GM Executive Office, who engaged the zone rep. The short answer yesterday - it was environmental (meaning the potholes). Bottom line - it's my problem. Since replacing the one tire that had a bulge, the vibration is gone. So, at this point, I'm not doing anything. Also, I had a local Discount Tire take a look - I didn't have time to have them pull all the wheels, so it was a quick visual inspection, and while he saw one impact area, at least at a quick look, they looked fine. The way it drives now, I would never think to have anyone look at it. So, when the time comes, I will be getting aftermarket wheels and save a couple thousand dollars.

#6 ·
Gary
I live here in Michigan too so I know about the terrible roads. I have been keeping the tires close to 40psi in the winter. It stiffens the ride a bit but keeps the tire from flexing towards the rim when hitting these craters. We have a lower profile tires on these cars and you have to be very careful. You don't know whether to keep your eyes on the car in front or on the road surface.

#9 ·
Well, it finally got resolved with a lot of kicking and screaming on Friday evening. They wanted to keep my car another week for a total of 3 weeks to try to work with their insurance company they represent. Someone high up at the dealership put some pressure on IAS (Tie Insurance company) and they finally approved all 4 rims to get replaced. Finally got my car back yesterday.

Ride is awesome and everything looks great but to a lot of points, I'm petrified driving this over any size pothole let alone the ones that may hide Hoffa! If there is a defect in these RIMS, GM has to do something here.

Thanks for all the great input here.

Cheers,
Eric

#10 ·
I have a 2014 Platinum XTS VSport and it has been the worst car I have ever owned. I live in Detroit Michigan and all four wheels on my new car are bent. Taking it to the dealer they told me to call someone else and have them straightened, so I drive around in my wobbly Cadillac listening to the rattles and squeaks.

Don't buy one of these, you will regret it! This will be the last GM I buy because of this car.

Robert Sanders

#11 ·
You might want to check out the Ford Taurus. I'm a 2013 XTX Platinum owner too. Pretty disappointed in the overall experience and lack of value.

I had a Taurus rental last week - I don't know which model but it was pretty upscale. It was pretty amazing- the tech was better than the C.U.E. and has the advantage of actually working. Wish I had known about these earlier.

#12 ·
Had my 2014 XTS VSPort Platinum AWD at the dealer last week and they found all 4 rims bnt. No impact damage, but reportedly bent where the spokes meet the flange that mounts to the hub. No impact damage at where the tire mounts. This is very suspect. Either they came out of the factory bent, or these are the weakest wheels I've ever seen. I've been driving since 1962, everything from Corvettes, to muscle cars, to Lincolns, to a DTS. I've lived in the Midwest pothole country all that time and have never had a bent rim before. I don't know if the 19s are as bad, but the 20s act like they're made of case hardened peanut butter.

#13 ·
So - here's an update...after the dealer replaced the one tire that had a bulge on the inside sidewall, the vibration went mostly away. A little here and there, so I elected...to do nothing for a while. A week or so ago, I had some time, so I went to Discount Tire. They pulled all four wheels and spun then on their machine. Their report? Left two are definitely bent, right two are fine - no balance issues whatsoever. So...now what to do. Got a price on factory replacement wheels from them - about half what the dealer wanted. So...then, I called Belle Tire - just to see what the other competition said. They were even lower, but for remanufactured factory wheels. Then they recommenced a local shop that does high-temp wheel straightening and specializes in aluminum wheels. So...they will be my next call, and possible visit. The saga continues.

#15 ·
ptcummings said:
You might want to check out the Ford Taurus. I'm a 2013 XTX Platinum owner too. Pretty disappointed in the overall experience and lack of value. I had a Taurus rental last week - I don't know which model but it was pretty upscale. It was pretty amazing- the tech was better than the C.U.E. and has the advantage of actually working. Wish I had known about these earlier.
If you weren't aware, my ford touch/sync has plenty of issues with it. Problem posts all over the internet. This includes a class action suit.

#17 ·
Don't feel bad my 2013 xts had etching problem and 4 bent wheels.... out of so called kindness dealer replaced 2 of them and I bought the other two on a car with 5kmiles.... and now with 44k miles 2 wheels are bent again....and now I a to buy them again... I am reading all kinds of problems with these wheels low profile tires and wheels... NEVER DID I EVER OWN A CAR WITH SUCH WHEEL PROBLEMS...We also own a 2016 srx so was a loyal Cadillac person for years.... any suggestion or lawsuits that really should be filed....

#19 ·
kimbelle777;16404089} . . . any suggestion or lawsuits that really should be filed....[/QUOTE said:
Lawsuit???? Low-profile tires impart more energy to the wheels via stiffer sidewalls. This is a simple law of physics in the classroom --not litigation in the courtroom.

It isn't the fault of the wheels -just the driver behind one; the only guilty party in this case is YOU: Assaulting potholes!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.