spare tire
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, spare tire in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just some food for thought. Why does a $25,000 Chevy Impala come with a spare tire, when a $73,000 Cadillac ...
    RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

spare tire

Just some food for thought. Why does a $25,000 Chevy Impala come with a spare tire, when a $73,000 Cadillac XTS Vsport doesn't? (let's face it, it's basically the same Epsilon II car). GM, in their infinite wisdom, sees fit to charge an extra $350 for the compact spare. We, as Cadillac owners, are either stupid, or at least GM thinks we are.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kennyxts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 xtx

Re: spare tire

They probably think we have more money than brains. I won't buy another Cadillac because I don't feel that this 2013 xts is as good as all the other Cadillacs that we have owned.
    My Buicks were quitter & smoother than my xts.

snellor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I was told that the reason our XTS's don't come with a spare is because Cadillac's research showed that most Caddy owners use the free roadside assistance that comes with our cars for flats anyway...so no reason to load us down with a spare. At first I thought that was bunk, but then after thinking about it awhile, I thought...you know that may be right because I'm not changing a flat - I'm pushing my onstar button or calling Cadddy roadside assistance. Plus there's that inflator and flat fix stuff in the trunk that is supposed to get your tire inflated to the point where you can make it to a service station - don't know if it works or not.

Lizbill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTR White Diamond coat; 2000 DeVille. Sterling Silver.

Mine came with the full size spare. Seems with the little donut spare, you have some extra space under the tire cover.

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

RicktheRealtor I don't think GM considers us stupid. Neither my XTS, my Porsche nor my new Stingray came with spare tires. That is now more the norm than the exception. All come with roadside assistance- not necessarily as convenient as throwing on a spare but there have been many of my cars where the spare (when supplied) never saw the light of day. I do carry Slime's Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System in each of my cars as a backup.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    The compact spare is an additional option, at a cost of $350.00.

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by dreiloft View Post
    The compact spare is an additional option at the time of purchase at a cost of $350.00.
    I knew that and passed on it.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Quote Originally Posted by kipsts
    I knew that and passed on it.
    Me to. I had the coupe previously and it wasn't an option and never used the slime. More storage space for the delicates.

xtsbill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I bought a car with the spare. I do a lot of driving far from home and I consider it as "extra insurance".

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Thankfully, tires today are pretty good, and while one can obviously pick up a nail or cut a tire, it is pretty rare to get a flat while driving.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

So the "roadside assistance" guy shows up with a spare tire for you? That you can drive on for several days? If not, I'd certainly want a spare. I've had two flats in the past, one by a nail that might have been "fixed" by the sealer. But the other was due to a bolt with a shank diameter of almost a half inch (picked up driving through a overpass construction area). Sealer would have been rather useless.

Db1111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Xts

Quote Originally Posted by snellor View Post
    I was told that the reason our XTS's don't come with a spare is because Cadillac's research showed that most Caddy owners use the free roadside assistance that comes with our cars for flats anyway...so no reason to load us down with a spare. At first I thought that was bunk, but then after thinking about it awhile, I thought...you know that may be right because I'm not changing a flat - I'm pushing my onstar button or calling Cadddy roadside assistance. Plus there's that inflator and flat fix stuff in the trunk that is supposed to get your tire inflated to the point where you can make it to a service station - don't know if it works or not.
    If you have a blow out like from hitting a pothole, no inflator or flat fix will do. With no spare, road asst is no help.
    As least with a spare , you're up and rolling again and not on a flatbed!

JoeGrapes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4

My buddies new Mustang didn't come with a spare either. It's just a cost and weight saving measure. And yes, most people won't change a tire anymore so it was an easy thing to delete. Also do not use that flat fix it spray unless its a real emergency. It really messes up the tire and makes repairing the tire the right way, with a patch from the inside, almost impossible.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

i think this is an age and comfort thing....younger buyers see no spare all the time and live in a world where their parents never bothered to teach them how to drive a stick or change a tire and with boys tie a tie.....whereas in older gen folks this stuff was normal .....mid folks like me (gen x) had the education (stick/tires/ties) but dont use it (living the new age ways...i do wear ties though)......when i bought my srx I was actually bummed the spare was there lol...i would have much rather had the storage space....my attitude is thats why i have roadside and insurance......most cars will only have the temp donut tires good for 50 miles under 50 mph.....so is on a road trip the spare can do you no good in some cases (lets say 60 or 70 miles from a tire shop) you calling roadside again anyway and now you have a wasted donut tire and a tire....whereas cadillac roadside is guaranteed to take you to the nearest dealership even if its multiple hundreds of miles away....no limit, you go to the nearest dealer no matter what to get you fixed....i like that....why did i mention insurance.....well i'll hapilly wreck my wheel driving it on a flat tire as long as it takes to get to safety and call roadside through onstar....insurance can fix my car in an emergency like that, and caddy will lend me another car while mine gets fixed....these are some of the reasons i bought a cadillac

by the way so far most have missed the boat why spares are disappearing......it's CAFE deleting the spare and accompanying tools leads to almost 1 mpg gain ....the fact that most luxury owners wont change spares themselves means they wont miss the spare and is a side benefit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.