Automatic Front and Rear Braking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Automatic Front and Rear Braking in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I went along for the test of the feature in a 2014 Platinum VSport 4. What I noticed was that ...
    Cadillade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond EXT

Automatic Front and Rear Braking

I went along for the test of the feature in a 2014 Platinum VSport 4.

What I noticed was that the collision detection settings in CUE were all on, but neither end would automatically brake to the cones placed on the lot.

So, the settings was turned off and back on in CUE. Then, the rear portion worked as it should. It may have been the brake pedal being touched as explained below.

However, despite attempts to get the front to work, no braking was activated.

I read somewhere that when the brake pedal is touched, however slight, the system won't automatically brake.

I was riding shogun the whole time with the nervous salesman in the driver's seat.

If this is the case, then the feature is not worth having because the system should commence braking irregardless of brake pedal application.

To override the system, one would stomp the accelerator to make intentions clear that automatic braking is not wanted in a emergency as an example.

Also, the system won't detect people according to the owner's manual. What is the point of having the feature with limitations such as these?

I am curious of your experiences with the feature. Even the Volvo system now includes pedestrians and cyclist detection. I wonder what else to detect besides these if they have to be kept separate from the intended purpose of automatically braking in a emergency.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RockvilleXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillade
    I went along for the test of the feature in a 2014 Platinum VSport 4. What I noticed was that the collision detection settings in CUE were all on, but neither end would automatically brake to the cones placed on the lot. So, the settings was turned off and back on in CUE. Then, the rear portion worked as it should. It may have been the brake pedal being touched as explained below. However, despite attempts to get the front to work, no braking was activated. I read somewhere that when the brake pedal is touched, however slight, the system won't automatically brake. I was riding shogun the whole time with the nervous salesman in the driver's seat. If this is the case, then the feature is not worth having because the system should commence braking irregardless of brake pedal application. To override the system, one would stomp the accelerator to make intentions clear that automatic braking is not wanted in a emergency as an example. Also, the system won't detect people according to the owner's manual. What is the point of having the feature with limitations such as these? I am curious of your experiences with the feature. Even the Volvo system now includes pedestrians and cyclist detection. I wonder what else to detect besides these if they have to be kept separate from the intended purpose of automatically braking in a emergency.
    Automatic braking on the XTS is an interesting experience, especially in the front. I've had it work consistently in the back, and it has saved me numerous times from backing into things (before I got used to the perspective in the rear camera). It can be very startling, to say the least, but quite an asset. Front auto braking is a completely different animal. It doesn't work the same way, and isn't as sensitive. I presume this is by design to avoid undesired auto-braking events. My most recent auto brake front event was on the Washington DC Beltway, at a merge. The car to the left and ahead of me started moving into my lane, and my car auto-braked (not to a stop, but slowed me down quickly to avoid getting sideswiped). Scared the crap out of me, but it did work. Other places it works are traffic circles, if you start to go into the circle before another car in the circle is completely out of the way (even though you can gage when it will be thru, your car thinks otherwise!). A third example is a left turn lane, when the car in front of you slows to make a u-turn and you are accelerating, the XTS auto-brakes and flashes the red crash sign in the windshield. Really kind of cool. But, front auto-braking isn't what you might think, especially according to the commercials for other cars on TV. And, it will NOT prevent you from tapping your garage front (yep, I gently tried it with a soft buffer). When I bought the car, at the dealership we tried auto-braking with a plastic trash can in the front and the back. Back worked as you might think, but the front didn't. It's obviously designed to be much less sensitive, and as the manual mentions, works "under certain circumstances". Important to know what those circumstances are, and the salesmen don't seem to know. More info from Cadillac would be very helpful!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.