Keyless Entry Remote
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Keyless Entry Remote in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My remote was "soaked" on the golf course and is not "detectable" by my XTS. I have taken it apart ...
    Flyingbobby is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Keyless Entry Remote

My remote was "soaked" on the golf course and is not "detectable" by my XTS. I have taken it apart and dried with hair dryer. The "manual" buttons all work, i.e. Door lock and unlock, and trunk opener. However the car does not "detect" the key fob for door unlocking or engine start. Is there a practical way to restore full operation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HR-cts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 wagon 3.6

Re: Keyless Entry Remote

maybe replace the battery?

Lizbill is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTR White Diamond coat; 2000 DeVille. Sterling Silver.

Use the other one that came with the car (I assume you got two "keys" with the car). Have the dealer get a replacement for the defective one and have the dealer program it. I wouldn't use an aftermarket replacement.

Db1111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Xts

Have you tried to reprogram the fog? Owners manual section 2-5 to 2-7..

Quote Originally Posted by Db1111
    Have you tried to reprogram the fog? Owners manual section 2-5 to 2-7..
    no, but I looked at the manual and will give it a go...thanks

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

take it apart pull the battery and put it in a ziplock bag full of rice for about a week ...... the rice should draw any errant moisture out of tiny nook and crannies and try it before you get a replacement......you want to pull the battery because there still could be a short and you don't want power in that short

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    take it apart pull the battery and put it in a ziplock bag full of rice for about a week ...... the rice should draw any errant moisture out of tiny nook and crannies and try it before you get a replacement......you want to pull the battery because there still could be a short and you don't want power in that short
    Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try before I go back to the dealer. The interesting thing is, the "manual" buttons on the keyless fob all work; I.e. Door lock/unlock and trunk unlock, so battery doesn't appear to be the problem nor at least one of the transmitters. Thanks for your help. If any other ideas let me know. Thanks again.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingbobby
    I tried the reprogramming process twice, it did not work. Interesting that the "manual" buttons on the keyless remote work fine, I.e. Door lock/unlock and trunk unlock. So at least one of the transmitters is working. Thanks again for your help. If you have any other ideas, let me know. Thanks

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingbobby
    tried the reprogramming twice to no avail. Interesting that the "manual" buttons on the keyless fob work ok. I.e. The door lock/unlock and trunk release. So at least one transmitter is working ok. Thanks for your help. If you have any other ideas, let me know. Thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingbobby View Post
    My remote was "soaked" on the golf course and is not "detectable" by my XTS. I have taken it apart and dried with hair dryer. The "manual" buttons all work, i.e. Door lock and unlock, and trunk opener. However the car does not "detect" the key fob for door unlocking or engine start. Is there a practical way to restore full operation?
    Hi Flyingbobby,

It sounds like you have received a lot of great tips from forum members already, but if you continue to have issues with the key fob just shoot me a PM with your VIN and info and I will look into it.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Hi Flyingbobby, It sounds like you have received a lot of great tips from forum members already, but if you continue to have issues with the key fob just shoot me a PM with your VIN and info and I will look into it. Austin J. Cadillac Customer Care
    . Hi Austin, yes, quite a few, but so far to no avail. The interesting thing is the "manual" buttons on the key fob work fine, I.e. The door unlock/lock and trunk release. However, the car does not "detect" the affected key fob. Thanks for any assistance you can render. Here is the vin #: 2G61P5S34D9151278. I have tried "reprogramming" in accordance with the instructions 2-5 through 2-7. The fob was soaked during a down pore on the golf course. I immediately took the fob apart and dried with low heat on a hair dryer. The manual buttons regained operation, but the remote is still "undetectable" by the car.

. Hi Austin, yes, quite a few, but so far to no avail. The interesting thing is the "manual" buttons on the key fob work fine, I.e. The door unlock/lock and trunk release. However, the car does not "detect" the affected key fob. Thanks for any assistance you can render. Here is the vin #: 2G61P5S34D9151278. I have tried "reprogramming" in accordance with the instructions 2-5 through 2-7. The fob was soaked during a down pore on the golf course. I immediately took the fob apart and dried with low heat on a hair dryer. The manual buttons regained operation, but the remote is still "undetectable" by the car.
    Flyingbobby,

Thanks for sending the VIN. From what I know about key fobs, their circuitry can be affected when batteries are changed and the wrong part is touched (check out 2-8 of the owners manual).

Just so I understand where things are currently: how did the rice bag experiment go? Also, some of your language implies that you've been to a dealership for this already. Do I have this right? If so, I'd like to follow up with them and gather their insights to see if there's any way we can help in this situation.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Flyingbobby, Thanks for sending the VIN. From what I know about key fobs, their circuitry can be affected when batteries are changed and the wrong part is touched (check out 2-8 of the owners manual). Just so I understand where things are currently: how did the rice bag experiment go? Also, some of your language implies that you've been to a dealership for this already. Do I have this right? If so, I'd like to follow up with them and gather their insights to see if there's any way we can help in this situation. Austin J. Cadillac Customer Care
    . Good morning Austin, I did not try the rice in a bag suggestion because I used the hair dryer right away. I did call my salesman about the incident and I will meet with him on Monday when we get back to Ohio.

. Good morning Austin, I did not try the rice in a bag suggestion because I used the hair dryer right away. I did call my salesman about the incident and I will meet with him on Monday when we get back to Ohio.
    Flyingbobby,

That sounds like a good plan. Please keep me posted on whatever conclusion you and your dealer come to and if you require anything else going forward.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.