Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, I'm new to the this site, so if this has been discussed I apologize in advance. I did ...
  1. #1
    XTS Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    14

    Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    Hi all,

    I'm new to the this site, so if this has been discussed I apologize in advance. I did try searching first. I'm hoping someone may have experience with or knowledge about this reoccurring problem that I could pass on to the service department.

    One night our XTS popped up a "Traction control off" message which was almost immediately followed by a "Service Stabilitrack" message. A few warning symbols also lit up then - the ABS , traction control and stabilitrak. Before getting home, suddenly a "Traction control on" message popped up, and all the warning symbols all turned off.

    We made an appointment to take it in. Over that weekend, and on the way to the dealer, this would randomly happen. The messages pop up, warning lights light up, then later the "Traction control on" pop up and the lights turn back off. The service dept did some analysis and we were told that there was some shorting issue or something in a rear tire sensor. They changed out the rear hub assembly and we picked it up the next day.

    On the way home it did it again. We called them again and made an appointment to take it in again. Later that week we picked it up and they told us that some connections just needed some cleaning. ( They had also changed out the front rotors and bake pads to take care of a brake squealing problem we were having.)

    All was good driving it home this time. We didn't have to go out the very next day, but the day following we had to drive up to the airport to pick up our son and daughter-in-law. (I noticed on the way up that now the lane departure system isn't working, along with the car in front thing, but I'm guessing that is some other problem.) Anyway, on the way home same traction/stabilitrak problem popped up again.

    The cruise control turns off once those traction/stabilitrak messages pop up with the accompanying warning lights, and this time we didn't get the "Traction control on" until we were almost home. Didn't realize how much I appreciate cruise control until I had to drive over an hour on the highway without it!

    So, I guess it's time to make an appointment to take it in yet again, but at this point I'm wondering if their service department really has any idea of how to fix the problem. Anyone have any advise for me that I might pass on to the service dept?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    22,460
    I'm assuming, since they replaced a rear hub assembly, that the code triggering the warning messages/lights is for the wheel speed sensor. The sensor, connectors, wiring, and related module/a could all be the problem.

  4. #3
    XTS Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    14
    Thread Starter

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I'm assuming, since they replaced a rear hub assembly, that the code triggering the warning messages/lights is for the wheel speed sensor. The sensor, connectors, wiring, and related module/a could all be the problem.
    Thanks MoistCabbage, I think you're correct that the code must have been pointing to the wheel speed sensor . I looked again at the service paper work, and it does say they replaced the hub assembly and wheel speed sensor. (I see it was the right front, not right rear as I had thought.) I guess if they've changed that sensor, then "cleaned up some connections", maybe they just have to keep working down the list.

    Frustrating though, it's almost an hour drive each way to take it in. If it's a trial and error thing, I wonder how many more trips I'll be making. Maybe "third time's a charm"....

  5. #4
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    22,460
    Yup, they'll have to work their way down the diagnostic tree to find the issue.

    This is a warranty repair on a year old car, and this will be their second attempt. Tell them you don't have the time to go back and forth, and have them give you a loaner. Tell them to call you when they're sure it's fixed.

  6. #5
    XTS Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    14
    Thread Starter

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    This will actually be their third attempt. The second attempt was the "cleaned up some connections" at the time we had it in to fix the brake squeal, as this problem had already popped back up the same day we picked it up after the first hub/sensor replacement attempt.

    I have to say they are very nice folks about it all, and have given us a loaner both times, no charges for anything. No complaints there, just would like to get it actually fixed. We have two other more minor issues we'd like to have addressed, but I haven't mentioned it to them yet as I really want them focused on getting this fixed.

    One is a fuzzy sounding speaker, and the other is the glove box pops slightly open with the most minor bump in the road and looks pretty tacky.

  7. #6
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    22,460
    Tell them that after this attempt, you want them to keep it for a day, a d have someone drive it several times throughout the day to make sure it doesn't happen again.

  8. #7
    XTS Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    14
    Thread Starter

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    That's a good idea. They said both times that it was test driven after the fix and the problem was gone, but obviously not enough.

  9. #8
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,709

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    Quote Originally Posted by XTS Driver View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm new to the this site, so if this has been discussed I apologize in advance. I did try searching first. I'm hoping someone may have experience with or knowledge about this reoccurring problem that I could pass on to the service department.

    One night our XTS popped up a "Traction control off" message which was almost immediately followed by a "Service Stabilitrack" message. A few warning symbols also lit up then - the ABS , traction control and stabilitrak. Before getting home, suddenly a "Traction control on" message popped up, and all the warning symbols all turned off.

    We made an appointment to take it in. Over that weekend, and on the way to the dealer, this would randomly happen. The messages pop up, warning lights light up, then later the "Traction control on" pop up and the lights turn back off. The service dept did some analysis and we were told that there was some shorting issue or something in a rear tire sensor. They changed out the rear hub assembly and we picked it up the next day.

    On the way home it did it again. We called them again and made an appointment to take it in again. Later that week we picked it up and they told us that some connections just needed some cleaning. ( They had also changed out the front rotors and bake pads to take care of a brake squealing problem we were having.)

    All was good driving it home this time. We didn't have to go out the very next day, but the day following we had to drive up to the airport to pick up our son and daughter-in-law. (I noticed on the way up that now the lane departure system isn't working, along with the car in front thing, but I'm guessing that is some other problem.) Anyway, on the way home same traction/stabilitrak problem popped up again.

    The cruise control turns off once those traction/stabilitrak messages pop up with the accompanying warning lights, and this time we didn't get the "Traction control on" until we were almost home. Didn't realize how much I appreciate cruise control until I had to drive over an hour on the highway without it!

    So, I guess it's time to make an appointment to take it in yet again, but at this point I'm wondering if their service department really has any idea of how to fix the problem. Anyone have any advise for me that I might pass on to the service dept?
    Hello XTS Driver,

    Welcome to Cadillac Owners! I am sorry to hear of any vehicle concerns you have been experiencing. I see you are working with your dealership towards a resolution but this will be the third attempt. I understand how this can be disheartening and frustrating on your end. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  10. #9
    XTS Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    14
    Thread Starter

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello XTS Driver,

    Welcome to Cadillac Owners! I am sorry to hear of any vehicle concerns you have been experiencing. I see you are working with your dealership towards a resolution but this will be the third attempt. I understand how this can be disheartening and frustrating on your end. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thank you Laura! I have set up an appointment to drop the car back at the dealership on Wednesday morning. I talked to the very understanding service dept manager there, and he's going to really follow this to resolution. So, I guess I'll let them give it another go first.

    They are such first class folks to work with, and it almost seems like I'm kind of "telling on them" if I ask Cadillac Customer Care to get involved. If this go-round doesn't work out, I would be happy to have your assistance. I'll keep this thread updated with how things go. Thanks again!

  11. #10
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,709

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    Quote Originally Posted by XTS Driver View Post
    Thank you Laura! I have set up an appointment to drop the car back at the dealership on Wednesday morning. I talked to the very understanding service dept manager there, and he's going to really follow this to resolution. So, I guess I'll let them give it another go first.

    They are such first class folks to work with, and it almost seems like I'm kind of "telling on them" if I ask Cadillac Customer Care to get involved. If this go-round doesn't work out, I would be happy to have your assistance. I'll keep this thread updated with how things go. Thanks again!
    Hi XTS Driver,

    You are welcome. Thank you for letting me know. We are here to assist and are a liaison between the customer and dealership. We have a close working relation with General Motors dealerships and they know we have the customer's best interest at heart for resolving vehicle concerns. We will be on the lookout for any updates on this thread or you can get a hold of us via private message to further discuss your situation.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  12. #11
    XTS Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    14
    Thread Starter

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    Well, I took it in again this morning, and they are trying to figure out just exactly what is causing this. It sounds like they are pretty convinced it is in some wiring or connections or something, like a bad ground or shorting condition. They really can't find anything to pinpoint it to at this point, but it does keep happening, so they have ordered a wiring harness to change out. It should be in pretty quickly, but I'll have to figure out a good day to take it back yet again. Probably not until early next week.

    On a couple of good notes:

    They did correct the glove box problem this morning. They found it was misaligned in some way, and took it apart and reinstalled the box part - the cover part was fine. The cover was not catching quite properly on the right side. It seems fine now, it does not pop slightly ajar on bumps anymore, so I'm happy with that.

    Also, on the lane departure thing that didn't seem to be working, they helped to educate me that it will "not work" when conditions do not allow the camera to see the lane markers. It works just fine, but it can't see the lane. It has been snowy and road conditions poor when it didn't seem to be working, and the camera cannot see the lines. (I guess I couldn't either, so it makes perfect sense.) It has been working fine since that one experience, so I'm sure that wasn't really any problem.

    Hopefully the wiring harness will take care of the rest. I'll update...

  13. #12
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,709

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    Quote Originally Posted by XTS Driver View Post
    Well, I took it in again this morning, and they are trying to figure out just exactly what is causing this. It sounds like they are pretty convinced it is in some wiring or connections or something, like a bad ground or shorting condition. They really can't find anything to pinpoint it to at this point, but it does keep happening, so they have ordered a wiring harness to change out. It should be in pretty quickly, but I'll have to figure out a good day to take it back yet again. Probably not until early next week.

    On a couple of good notes:

    They did correct the glove box problem this morning. They found it was misaligned in some way, and took it apart and reinstalled the box part - the cover part was fine. The cover was not catching quite properly on the right side. It seems fine now, it does not pop slightly ajar on bumps anymore, so I'm happy with that.

    Also, on the lane departure thing that didn't seem to be working, they helped to educate me that it will "not work" when conditions do not allow the camera to see the lane markers. It works just fine, but it can't see the lane. It has been snowy and road conditions poor when it didn't seem to be working, and the camera cannot see the lines. (I guess I couldn't either, so it makes perfect sense.) It has been working fine since that one experience, so I'm sure that wasn't really any problem.

    Hopefully the wiring harness will take care of the rest. I'll update...
    Hello XTS Driver,

    Thank you for updating the thread. You know how to get a hold of me if you would like to further discuss anything.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  14. #13
    XTS Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    14
    Thread Starter

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    I realized that I neglected to update this thread, so thought I should.

    I took my XTS back in, and they changed out a wiring harness that went from the wheel to the main wiring harness. It seems to have taken care of the problem from what I can tell. Haven't had it happen since, and it's been more than a week ago.

  15. #14
    jaleen1994 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ext,xts
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    I had the same stabilitrak issues this week and my car is at the dealership now, hopefully they correct the issue once! They gave me a loaner car so they can take there time to fix the issue correctly once on my 2014!

  16. #15
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,709

    Re: Repetetive "Traction contol off, Service Stabilitrak" issue

    Quote Originally Posted by jaleen1994 View Post
    I had the same stabilitrak issues this week and my car is at the dealership now, hopefully they correct the issue once! They gave me a loaner car so they can take there time to fix the issue correctly once on my 2014!
    Hello jaleen1994,

    We're glad to hear that you have your vehicle in the dealership and that they're working to correct this issue for you. Please keep us posted on the outcome and if there is anything we can do to assist during this time let us know.

    Amber N. (assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting