2013 xts brake squeal - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, 2013 xts brake squeal in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by cblove On my car service notice lube was applied and a different set of brake pads were ...
    cblove is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 BMW 535ix M Sport & 2010 Escalade

Re: 2013 xts brake squeal

Quote Originally Posted by cblove View Post
    On my car service notice lube was applied and a different set of brake pads were installed. The squeal has returned but not as bad. The car is currently back at the dealership since Tuesday. They have brought in a GM representative in to access the issue.
    I got the car back Friday. Gm rep heard the squeal and they applied a new lube different than before and again changed my pads. All was quiet for a day and a half but just now heard the squeak backing out of a parking space. I sent my cadillac service advisor an email just now and he responded immediately (yes I have a great relationship with my SA and the dealership). I told him we need to talk on Monday. I personally do not like complaining about this but I will NOT accept this and I will not live with it while I hope GM finds a solution. My position is that my car is depreciating and there is no guarantee that it will ever be resolved. If the problem is the brake material and there is a solution down the road I think that should be communicated in writing and a time period be given or else I want out of the car. Am I being unreasonable here?

RockvilleXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by cblove
    I got the car back Friday. Gm rep heard the squeal and they applied a new lube different than before and again changed my pads. All was quiet for a day and a half but just now heard the squeak backing out of a parking space. I sent my cadillac service advisor an email just now and he responded immediately (yes I have a great relationship with my SA and the dealership). I told him we need to talk on Monday. I personally do not like complaining about this but I will NOT accept this and I will not live with it while I hope GM finds a solution. My position is that my car is depreciating and there is no guarantee that it will ever be resolved. If the problem is the brake material and there is a solution down the road I think that should be communicated in writing and a time period be given or else I want out of the car. Am I being unreasonable here?
    My 2008 STS used to do this whenever I washed the car. First time, it scared the heck out of me, but I figured out it only did it a couple of times during the first brake applications (after a trip to the dealership, confirming all was well). So, when my XTS did the same thing, only once or twice backing out of the driveway after I washed the car, I knew nothing was wrong. It only happens once or twice, and only after a car wash, only in reverse (first direction out of the drive). So I don't find this an annoyance in the least. No one can tell you what annoys you or what doesn't, but I'm doubting that Cadillac will be able to permanently remedy this problem for you without regular lubrication. Perhaps you live in a different climate, or your brakes work differently somehow, but this rare occurrence, for me, only after I wash the car, is hardly a problem, and certainly not worth upsetting me. But, that's how I am, and everyone is different.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

If it is only on initial 'backing', it seems to be just an annoyance (especially if the deciding factor is moisture in the morning or after washing the vehicle); if this can be isolated to the rear brakes (I think this is the case in these occurrences), then perhaps riding the brake or leaving the parking brake (lightly) applied until the first forward motion occurs would alleviate the embarrassment of the noise or the annoyance of having to hear it. I'm thinking that the cause of this noise is not the pad friction material itself but the pads vibrating/chattering in the calipers.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello cblove,

I apologize that you are hearing this noise after the dealership applied these fixes. I am glad that the GM field representative was able to be there when the noise was duplicated. Do you have any updates after speaking to your dealership on Monday?

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

cblove is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 BMW 535ix M Sport & 2010 Escalade

Yes, I sold the XTS.

old glenn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: XTS brake squeak (11500 miles)
    Scheduled for my third visit today. Billion Cadillac sprayed some "special lubricant" on last visit. Squeak
    Went away for about a week & then came back. Has anyone had success with getting this problem resolved?

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

The other strange thing about this issue is that not every XTS owner is experiencing this. Mine are still quiet and I live in Michigan
    where moisture is an issue. I have 7800 miles on mine and maybe they will start to squeak when I get more miles on the brakes.
    We'll see. My wife's 09 CTS squeaked when first backing out of the garage soon after we bought the car new. We never had the issue looked at and the squeaking has since gone away. The original rear pads are still on the car after 55000 miles.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Yes, I sold the XTS.
    Hello cblove,

Thanks for keeping me updated. I apologize that you sold your XTS due to this concern. I hope that we are able to earn your business again in the future. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any future questions, comments, or concerns.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by old glenn View Post
    Re: XTS brake squeak (11500 miles)
    Scheduled for my third visit today. Billion Cadillac sprayed some "special lubricant" on last visit. Squeak
    Went away for about a week & then came back. Has anyone had success with getting this problem resolved?
    Hello old glenn,

Are you experiencing this concern? If so, I would be more than happy to reach out to your dealership if you have taken your vehicle in for this concern. Please feel free to private message me with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership that you have been working with. If you are unable to private message me, you can also email me at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line. I hope to hear back from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

mbl_rl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac XTS V-6 Sedan

Have they found a fix for this issue yet?
    My XTS has the same issue and it's making my wife dislike the car -
    it's very embarrassing to pull in the grocery store or mall squeaking
    and making obnoxious noises and everyone is looking at you.
    My service manager does't to be able to locate a fix for it.
    Hope that you guys have some knowledge!

Thanks!
    Ryan

Rmbrunswick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've stayed quiet on this problem while my brakes have not. I have not taken it to the dealer simply because there appears to be no fix to the problem. Hard to believe that the XTS has been out for almost 2 years and Cadillac has not responded. A quality American built vehicle should not have brakes that squeal. My neighbors kid me about it all of the time.

thegabbycat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    There is a fix for this. Your dealer has the technical service bulletin. There have been other threads on this topic. The same bulletin applies to XTS and ATS. There is some lubricant that gets applied. I have a14 XTS and a 13 ATS. Only the ATS had the horrible squeal when going in reverse. The problem was solved after the bulletin's solution was applied.

drose224 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree with "the gabbycat" above. Mine had horrible squeaking first thing in the morning on a cold day. Called dealer, was told there was a TSB on it. Took it
    in the following morning and it was fixed in less than half an hour. Hasn't squeaked in over two months and counting. Great service at the dealers.

JoeGrapes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4

My XTS has 25000 miles on it and I live in the northeast where winter is bad. If I wash the car and then let it sit a little film of rust forms on the rotors so that when I back out of the driveway it squeals the first time I apply the brakes. But the noise doesn't always happen. I agree it's annoying but it's the crappy metal they make the rotors out of. I had an 2007 Charger before the XTS and the noise never happened with the factory rotors. As soon as I replaced the rotors with the best ones NAPA carried it started. I just don't think anyone makes rotors as good as they used to. The lubricant the dealer puts on is just a band-aide. Even if they switch out the rotors they will just be putting on the same ones so the problem will just keep happening.

juneorta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS

I have a 2014 XTS with close to 15,000 miles on it and it too has the squealing/embarrassing brake problem. I can understand when my 1971 Chevelle makes the similar
    noise...but my new XTS? I was told by my local dealership that it was "normal" and there was nothing they could do about the problem. The car is actually going in for two other reasons (glove box - not opening and wiper issue - $6.00 cap flew off in a car wash). Thanks to this forum, I am finding out that there are solutions.

CCXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS, ATS

Thumbs down Re: 2013 xts brake squeal

I no longer own the XTS due to the numerous problems and repairs on a premium "luxury" car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.