2013 xts brake squeal - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, 2013 xts brake squeal in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a service appointment this Monday for the squealing brake issue. Only happens in reverse, after the car has ...
    quaybee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS-4 Luxury
    I have a service appointment this Monday for the squealing brake issue. Only happens in reverse, after the car has been parked, and does not happen every time. 23,000 miles on my 2013 XTS with majority of road miles at 150 plus per day. Will post dealership's advice after the appointment.

Mike Porter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2013 xts brake squeal

I have a 2013 Cadillac XTS that has 48000 miles on it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news for everyone on here, but it only gets worse!! My brakes started squealing in reverse around 8000 miles. They gradually started squealing going forward. I purchased new brake pads at 32000 miles even though i was told my pads had very little wear. After 5 trips to the dealership, they are now squealing louder than ever all the time and the dealership tells me there is nothing they can do. I now drive a 50k car with the loudest brakes on the street. The dealership will do nothing and is very arogant about it. I don't know what to do at this point.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Porter View Post
    I have a 2013 Cadillac XTS that has 48000 miles on it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news for everyone on here, but it only gets worse!! My brakes started squealing in reverse around 8000 miles. They gradually started squealing going forward. I purchased new brake pads at 32000 miles even though i was told my pads had very little wear. After 5 trips to the dealership, they are now squealing louder than ever all the time and the dealership tells me there is nothing they can do. I now drive a 50k car with the loudest brakes on the street. The dealership will do nothing and is very arogant about it. I don't know what to do at this point.
    Hello Mike Porter,

Welcome to Cadillac Owners. I am sorry to hear of the ongoing brake squeal you are experiencing, which is now worse than before. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by quaybee View Post
    I have a service appointment this Monday for the squealing brake issue. Only happens in reverse, after the car has been parked, and does not happen every time. 23,000 miles on my 2013 XTS with majority of road miles at 150 plus per day. Will post dealership's advice after the appointment.
    quaybee,

Please keep us updated on the outcome of your dealership visit. Gregory and I monitor the Cadillac forums and are here to assist. We can be reached via private message; be sure to include your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location. We can further discuss your situation and reach out to your dealership on your behalf if needed.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by XtsYoungstown View Post
    We,too, have this problem. Two trips to dealership each time being told there is nothing wrong. There IS something wrong and it is both embarrassing and irritating. Not only the squeal, but the brakes are also grabby, this could be dangerous. Cadillac should be shamed. This vehicle is supposed to be top notch.
    XtsYoungstown,

I understand your frustration due to your current situation. I would like the opportunity to further discuss this with you. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

quaybee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS-4 Luxury
    The dealership ordered special brake grease for the squeal and will schedule another service appointment to apply. Dealership also stated a thin layer of rust forms on the brake disc in damp weather and when brakes are initially applied, the rust is removed causing the squeal. I advised that I was previously told Brembo brakes don't rust. I will await the next appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by quaybee View Post
    The dealership ordered special brake grease for the squeal and will schedule another service appointment to apply. Dealership also stated a thin layer of rust forms on the brake disc in damp weather and when brakes are initially applied, the rust is removed causing the squeal. I advised that I was previously told Brembo brakes don't rust. I will await the next appointment.
    Hello quaybee,

Thank you for the update. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for you. Please contact us via private message to further discuss your situation and additional questions or concerns you may have.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

CCXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS, ATS

Great news! I had called my dealer to ask them about the problem a week ago and a service bulletin had
    not been issued. Mary had mentioned she would call me if anything came up. Well, I am excited to relay
    that Mary was pro-active and called me to schedule a time to bring in my car to have the bulletin
    performed. I just picked it up tonight and thus far no screeching yeah! Service bulletin #2480038. Kudos to Mary for customer service that exceeded expectations. She is what Cadillac ownership is all about.
    Unfortunately my glove box switch has a short and a part had to be ordered, so that I may open it. Please give my thanks to Mary

Pharmboy62 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Just a quick update on my screaming brake issue. With help from Laura M at Cadillac Customer Care and a very accommodating service department at my dealer, I got the car back yesterday and so far all is quiet. Work order states they replaced pads, calipers, bolts, pins and clips on the front and new pads and machined the rotors on the back. Many thanks to Jay and Cathy at Camargo Cadillac in Cincinnati for their courteous and diligent efforts. I sure hope this is a permanent fix and won't have to repeat in another 20,000 miles. Also hope that others having this problem have similar success with their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmboy62 View Post
    Just a quick update on my screaming brake issue. With help from Laura M at Cadillac Customer Care and a very accommodating service department at my dealer, I got the car back yesterday and so far all is quiet. Work order states they replaced pads, calipers, bolts, pins and clips on the front and new pads and machined the rotors on the back. Many thanks to Jay and Cathy at Camargo Cadillac in Cincinnati for their courteous and diligent efforts. I sure hope this is a permanent fix and won't have to repeat in another 20,000 miles. Also hope that others having this problem have similar success with their cars.
    Hi Pharmboy62,

We're extremely pleased to hear that we were able to help with getting this issue resolved with your vehicle. We would be more than happy to forward your positive report to Jay and Cathy at Camargo Cadillac! If there is anything we can help with in the future please feel free to contact us.

Amber N. (assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

webrobby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

same for me - I keep thinking it is the cold weather and it happens only in reverse. It's hard to reproduce on demand but it does happen. glad I'm not crazy

cblove is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 BMW 535ix M Sport & 2010 Escalade

I have now developed the squeak. It occurs when car has sat for only few hours. I have had the lube job done yesterday per PI0917B 2480038 and the car squeaked this morning. Mine does it in reverse and forward and as with other, it goes away after the first few times the brakes are applied. My service advisor said some clients have had the service done and the squeak is milder, but still present

I called the dealer this morning to see what they can do to resolve the problem. I like Cadillac. I really like the dealership from the owner to my tech.
    Hopefully, we can work this out.

I wonder who else has had this problem on a 2013-2014 XTS and if the problem was resolved to their satisfaction.

Bulletin below:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PI0917B: Front Brake Squeal or Squeak Noise Intermittently on Initial Brake Applies - (Dec 10, 2013)
    Subject:
    Front Brake Squeal or Squeak Noise Intermittently on Initial Brake Applies
    http://gsi.xw.gm.com/images/999999995.gif
    Models:
    2013-2014 Buick Regal GS
    2013-2014 Cadillac ATS, Equipped with RPO J55
    2013-2014 Cadillac XTS Equipped with RPO J64 (Brakes, front Brembo, antilock, 4-wheel disc)
    2014 Cadillac CTS Sedan Equipped with RPO J55 orJ56
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette, SS
    This PI has been revised to update the Models and the Parts Information. Please discard PI0917A.

Condition/Concern
    Some customers may comment on a squeal or squeak noise from the front brakes. This condition normally only occurs on initial brake applications after the vehicle has sat for an extended time. The condition occurs typically under light braking, in speeds under 16 km/h (10 mph). After 1-6 brake applies, or after braking at higher speeds, the noise no longer occurs. This condition may occur more often in high humidity conditions.

Recommendation/Instructions
    Important: Do not apply the lubricant to the back of the backing plate.

Apply a light coat of the lubricant to completely cover the pad backing plate abutments on each end. The lubricant should not extend onto the friction material. Refer to the illustration below.

Object ID: 3291081Click here for detailed picture of the image.
    Parts Information
    The lubricant can be obtained from the Warranty Parts Center (WPC). Please use the form at the end of this bulletin to order the part.

Part Number

Description

Qty

WPC# 741

Lubricant

1*

* One tube will remedy approximately 5 vehicles.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

2480038*

Apply Lubricant to Front Disc Brake Pads

0.6 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Update: I spoke to my Service Manager and he asked me to bring the car in Monday. They will try a brake pad swap. I know it states in the information bulletin that this will not help but hopeful. Dealership is going above and beyond the stated solution of lube. GM has not come up with any other solution at this time.

Manager said some sets work better than others and we will try this.

Quote Originally Posted by cblove View Post
    Update: I spoke to my Service Manager and he asked me to bring the car in Monday. They will try a brake pad swap. I know it states in the information bulletin that this will not help but hopeful. Dealership is going above and beyond the stated solution of lube. GM has not come up with any other solution at this time.

Manager said some sets work better than others and we will try this.
    Hello cblove,

Thank you for providing an update on your situation. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for you, but I am glad your dealership has been assisting you towards resolving this concern. Please keep me updated after your dealer visit; I would appreciate it. I can be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

New brake pads have solved the problem. If the squeal returns, I will report back.

kimbo1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS-4

Ditto here. 2013 XTS Premium with ~19,000 miles. Only happens when in reverse/backing. Any only happens after the car has been washed and parked in an unheated garage overnight. It is LOUD, especially when I'm backing out of the garage at 5:45 am.

Quote Originally Posted by cblove View Post
    New brake pads have solved the problem. If the squeal returns, I will report back.
    Thank you for letting us know, cblove. I am glad new brake pads seem to have resolved your vehicle concern. Don't hesitate to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Kindest Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by kimbo1 View Post
    Ditto here. 2013 XTS Premium with ~19,000 miles. Only happens when in reverse/backing. Any only happens after the car has been washed and parked in an unheated garage overnight. It is LOUD, especially when I'm backing out of the garage at 5:45 am.
    Hi kimbo1,

I am sorry to hear you are also experiencing a concern with the brakes in your XTS. Have you worked with your Cadillac dealership yet? If you would like to further discuss your situation, please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.