Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 XTS rattles driving me nuts (1,300 miles)

17K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  roadking60455 
#1 ·
After 20+ years of large SUV's and trucks I finally bought a 2014 XTS. I wanted a QUIET and peaceful ride. I had one for about the first 1,300 miles. Now I have rattles that are driving me nuts. Seem to come from the dashboard and windshield area of the passenger side. Then I have another one that seems to come from the CUE area.

Spoken with dealership and get all sorts of silly fixes. My salesman told me to turn off the noise cancellation system. Well that is one of the reasons I bought the car!!!!

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Jay

#4 ·
Need the size of the XTS. I am taking it in next week. Getting a loaner and won't take it back unless they fix it. I'm sure I am not the only one with this issue. I wonder if corporate has any answers as the local guys don't seem to motivated to research it. We'll see.

----------

Need the size of the XTS. I am taking it in next week. Getting a loaner and won't take it back unless they fix it. I'm sure I am not the only one with this issue. I wonder if corporate has any answers as the local guys don't seem to motivated to research it. We'll see.

#5 ·
Took my 2014 XTS with the rattles in to dealer today. They gave me a 2013 XTS loaner ann it rattles worse than mine. I live in Colorado - very dry climate. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. Has anyone experienced this problem. It rattles worse when turning right. Seems to be getting worse. HELP!

#26 ·
I live in Las Vegas where our average humidity is in the single digits and do not have nor have ever had any rattles in my XTS Platinum (now over one year old and one of the first custom ordered delivered). My point is that I doubt it has anything to do with dry climate.

#6 ·
as a dealer tec.. i would like to know if you have ridden with a tec to point these rattles out???? or are you guys one of those caddy owners who is too important to spend the time on this issue????you all realize the cust-service writer-tec chain is broken????? " it's like a deaf person showing the blind person to point out to the seeing eye dog what the color purple smells like." most storys go some what like this
tech what do you got?
s/w a rattle in an xts
tech when does it do it and from where???
s/w i don't know/don't remeber/didn't ask/didn't ride with cust/ didn't write it down
tech ok

tech goes for a ride doen't hear feel anything abnormal during his .3 check out due to no real info so no problem found

adds up to a p,o,ed cust. and apoligetic s/w and a tech who looks bad cuz there was nothing to go on but a statment that it rattles...not when or what the road surface is like,hot /cold/ always- only at 65mph on the freeway.. sounds like comes from the trunk/dash... so if what you have told the s/w is not writen verbatum as you told it on the repair order.. the info doesn't get to us.. if all you see is w/c car has rattle/vibration.. the npf is the experence you are in for...

#7 ·
Yes -I took the manager for a ride and he heard the rattles - you would have to be near-deaf not to hear them.
I drove 1 1/2 hours to the dealership (we live in the mountains and they are the nearest dealer).

The loaner XTS has the same rattles only louder. I would think a solution would have been found as this is not a new problem.

#8 ·
Hello Jay,

I understand your frustration due to experiencing a rattle with your new 2014 XTS. I see you rode with the manager, in which he heard the rattles as well. If you would like to further discuss your situation, please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealer name and location.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#9 ·
I have the same very slight rattle, somewhere on the passenger side. It doesn't do it on every bump, so it's not the worst thing in the world. I'm at 20% oil life left, so when I take it in for maintenance, I'm going to mention it and ask if they have any experience with resolving the rattle. If not, no biggie. My 2008 STS had all kinds of dash rattles, and the dealership fixed all of them in one fell swoop, so I think they had experience with resolving those kinds of things. If anyone here figures out the cause, please post so we can help the service guys figure it out.

#10 ·
Hello RockvilleXTS,

I understand your concern for wanting to resolve the rattle you are experiencing with your XTS. If you would like assistance while working with your dealer, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

I have a slight rattle from the same area on my 13 premium.....love the car though very much
I am glad you are loving your XTS so far, 5.0 lsc. If the rattle is something you would like to work with your dealer towards resolving, please let me know. Send me a private message so we can further discuss any concern or question you have.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#11 ·
From Dash Rattle in my XTS...
Hey Colorado. Sorry I missed your post. Been off site for a while. I took my XTS on a road trip over Thanksgiving and the rattle nearly had me pulling into the nearest dealership to give it back. I have clients in my car all the time and it is embarrassing to have the flagship Cadillac rattling like a children's toy. I have an appointment to drive the tech around tomorrow morning. Will let you know the results. Any satisfaction on your end?

#12 ·
Thank goodness for this thread. I am glad to hear it is not just me. I have a '13 XTS Premium and was beginning to think it was just me being me with this rattle driving me crazy.

I literally just dropped by XTS today for my third upcoming appointment to fix this rattle issue.

The first time, the dealer indicated it was something in the A pillar. I thought: "Great, they found it", but the rattle was still present (I drove off the lot and I heard it again by the time I arrived at my first traffic light) just a little less loud.

The second appointment, the dealer seemed skeptical and was not sure where the rattle was coming from. Two days later, they asked me to come back to the dealership and go for a ride with a Tech. While on the drive, the Tech indicated that he tightened the glove box and the existing noise (it was still there, but again, not as loud) might have been from some fabric contacting in the dash. I took the car back with me that day as I needed a car for an upcoming business trip. The rattle was still there but, not as loud again and I thought I could deal with it. About a week ago, the rattle was completely back.

I hope the third time is the charm. I hate being a nag to these guys, but the rattle drives me crazy.

#15 ·
I have a 2013 XTS, about 5,000 miles, and have the same problem of a rattle or buzz in the dashboard or behind the CUE screen. We took it to the dealer yesterday, 12/13/13, and the service manager said it was fixed. "The Tech repositioned some of the apparatus and retightened." One mile from the dealer, the rattle, buzz was back.
I guess I will take it back for more analysis and fixes. Has anybody discovered the problem and how to fix?
Charlie55

#16 ·
Hello Charlie55,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing the concern after the dealership attempted to address the noise. Have you had a chance to bring the vehicle back in and let them know that you are still experiencing the concern? If you would like any assistance in working with the dealership, please feel free to private message me, or send me an email at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#17 ·
Has anyone discovered the fix to this issue? I have been to the dealer three times already. I was even fortunate enough to have Laura from the Cadillac Customer Care Team call my dealer to help.

Yet, the rattle seems to always return for me. I will go back to my dealer again after the holidays, but I am hoping that I can help them find the solution instead of being the "Oh No, Not That Guy Again" Caddy Owner.

#22 ·
Hello JDZ25,

I am sorry to hear this issue keeps returning! Please keep us posted on your dealership visit. If further assistance is needed, we are happy to help. Thank you!

Jessica (assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Hi Harrington,

That is great news! I hope this issue has been completely resolved for you. If you continue to experience concerns, please let us know.

Jessica (assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

I posted an issue with a rattle in the dash on an earlier stream. About a week ago, I drove my dealer's tech around in an attempt to isolate the rattle. He said that there was a campaign on a different model that could be producing the issue in the XTS. In that campaign a rattle was could be caused by the vibration, at the right harmonics, from five plastic tabs used to insert the very front piece of the dash. He installed felt tape to each of the tabs while I waited at the dealership. Now I have only been able to put less than 100 miles on the car since the remedy, but it appears as though the fix is in. It made sense as soon as he explained it to me as the rattle could come from a number of locations along the dash. (Five tabs a rattlin) Didn't always occur. (Had to be the right harmonics to vibrate) And I pushed on just about every part of the dash to locate. (Tabs were hidden upfront and pressure probably wouldn't stop the rattle anyways. I'm hopeful this is the fix we've have been looking for. Will keep you posted.

#18 ·
Charlie55 said:
I have a 2013 XTS, about 5,000 miles, and have the same problem of a rattle or buzz in the dashboard or behind the CUE screen. We took it to the dealer yesterday, 12/13/13, and the service manager said it was fixed. "The Tech repositioned some of the apparatus and retightened." One mile from the dealer, the rattle, buzz was back. I guess I will take it back for more analysis and fixes. Has anybody discovered the problem and how to fix? Charlie55
Rattles or squeaks in any modern day car is simply unacceptable ! Cadillac service is outstanding and hopefully they will find where it's coming from and fix.

PS- have you tried narrowing down to the air vents ?

#19 ·
Sorry so many have same problem. U now have 15000 miles, 4 or more trips to dealer, dash apart several times, tighten things. All's well until leave the lot to several days. Funny how it's the Rt side for me as well. If I push on the grill over the speaker near the passenger a pillar goes away for a while. Also rattle Rt front passenger seat. Rattles are soft but enough to be irritating. Or side tight, never a noise. I have given up. Uncle. I'll revisit next oil change.

#20 ·
Sorry so many have same problem. U now have 15000 miles, 4 or more trips to dealer, dash apart several times, tighten things. All's well until leave the lot to several days. Funny how it's the Rt side for me as well. If I push on the grill over the speaker near the passenger a pillar goes away for a while. Also rattle Rt front passenger seat. Rattles are soft but enough to be irritating. Or side tight, never a noise. I have given up. Uncle. I'll revisit next oil change.

#27 ·
First I want to compliment my dealer, Morries Cadillac in Minneapolis, MN. My XTS has had two instances of rattles and they were able to fix the first problem in one visit and the second rattle problem several months later in two visits. They definitely have techs who know what they are doing and they care about really fixing the problem right.

The first rattle was caused by the defroster grill. The tech insulated it and the rattle went away. This was in March 2013. Then in December when we got hit with day after day of temps at or below zero, (global warming can only help this place) the dash started rattling again. First they thought the problem was in the A pillars so they ordered replacements. I brought the car in Thursday night to pick up the loaner so they could work on it Friday. When they put the replacements in they called and told me that wasn't the problem and they were going to keep the car longer and investigate further. I had a SRX as a loaner so I was fine with that. They removed the upper dash panel and insulated the forward pins and cups (reading this off of the work order). They called me Monday morning and told me the problem was fixed. I picked the car up later that day and the problem was in fact fixed. I was impressed that they kept the car an extra day so it could sit outside in the cold and they tested it to confirm that the rattle was gone. It's now Wednesday, it's still terribly cold and the car has not rattled even once.

#28 ·
First off Happy New Year to you members. Next, now that the colder weather is here, I noticed a cracking type sound coming from the right
corner of my dash too. I stuffed that microfiber cloth in the corner of the plastic panel and the pillar. Noise is gone. It must be a common
problem since a few members have had that defroster vent panel insulated have had the noise eliminated also. Another item to check is that little storage door on the left side of the dash. Mine would rattle when coming to a stop on road imperfections. I took a piece of felt used for the bottom of furniture and stuck it on the left edge of the door that is supposed to come in contact with the rubber stop. Since the edge of
the door wasn't touching the rubber it would rattle. Funny how noises in cars can transmit to other areas making you look in the wrong area.
That door rattle made it sound like it was coming from the clear lens on the dash.

#29 ·
Very interesting. Unfortunately my rattle from the center speaker area started after they replaced the hazard/trac off/lane depart off switch assembly. I also noticed that the center ac vents are not installed correctly behind the metal trim piece. Also I had to have my glovebox release adjusted and when I got it back the lighting strip above it was out. Luckily I was able to look in there and see that when they had re installed the glovebox there was some vinyl edge that hadn't been tucked in correctly and was covering the led pipe. I figured I'll bring it in for the first service and get these items handled. And lastly when my front left window closes it makes a loud banging noise as if it's not raising into the window run correctly. My fear on that is they say my window tint has voided a repair such as that. I do love this car though!

#30 ·
Same problems as all of you with my 2013 XTS.
I have two rattles.
One was the switch buttons for the sunroof, I found not them and I hope it is fixed.
The other they had to take out the entire dash to hopefully fix the problem.
I also have a new SRS and it is a great car.
I would not let them try to fix unless it is cold outside since hot days causes expansion and it my not rattle.
I would also make them test drive on concrete road with expansion joints.

----------

I had the same problem a vjc and they did stop this rattle.
They hopefully stopped the other one in the dash.
This involved taking out the entire dash since they could not fix the previous two times.

#31 ·
Hello jtawindows,

I apologize you were experiencing rattles with your 2013 XTS. I see your dealership has been involved to resolve these concerns. Is your vehicle currently at the dealership still? If you would like to further discuss your situation or have additional questions, please send me a private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#32 ·
I noticed the same rattle on the right side over the past week. I had my son hold the a pillar and the
Headliner above the passenger seat and it went away. I have to bring the car back in for the second time
to have this glove box switch replaced yet again. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

#33 ·
I like you switched for a Silverado which was never in the service shop for repair or a warranty claim. Now I have this nightmare.
I have a 2013 XTS Premium. This car is awesome and probably the nicest care I have ever owned. There is just one major problem. It has a dash rattle which started the day I purchased the vehicle. It has been to the dealer 4 times and they cannot fix it. I have only owned it for 2 months and it has been at the dealer for half of that time. This is the worst car purchase I have made in the last 25 years. I have complained to Cadillac and the dealer and so far they have dropped the ball. I have asked that the car be replaced with a new one but no one is stepping up to the plate. I do not think the rattle will ever be able to be repaired. It is like the whole dash is moving and plastic to plastic rattle sounds are very noticeable. This is most disappointing from the flagship of Cadillac. At this point I will never own another one and would not recommend purchasing one.

#34 ·
Hi all,

I am bumping this thread because I am going back to my dealer on Monday to try to fix my dash rattle. Seems like my rattle invited a friend and I have another coming from the back of my XTS now.

Anyway, just curious, for those who mentioned potential fixes, have your rattles actually been fixed? I was hoping to mention some of the fixes I read in this thread to my dealer (without him thinking I have my own screw loose).

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.