2014 XTS rattles driving me nuts (1,300 miles) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, 2014 XTS rattles driving me nuts (1,300 miles) in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Charlie55 I have a 2013 XTS, about 5,000 miles, and have the same problem of a rattle ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2014 XTS rattles driving me nuts (1,300 miles)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie55 View Post
    I have a 2013 XTS, about 5,000 miles, and have the same problem of a rattle or buzz in the dashboard or behind the CUE screen. We took it to the dealer yesterday, 12/13/13, and the service manager said it was fixed. "The Tech repositioned some of the apparatus and retightened." One mile from the dealer, the rattle, buzz was back.
    I guess I will take it back for more analysis and fixes. Has anybody discovered the problem and how to fix?
    Charlie55
    Hello Charlie55,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing the concern after the dealership attempted to address the noise. Have you had a chance to bring the vehicle back in and let them know that you are still experiencing the concern? If you would like any assistance in working with the dealership, please feel free to private message me, or send me an email at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

JDZ25 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Has anyone discovered the fix to this issue? I have been to the dealer three times already. I was even fortunate enough to have Laura from the Cadillac Customer Care Team call my dealer to help.

Yet, the rattle seems to always return for me. I will go back to my dealer again after the holidays, but I am hoping that I can help them find the solution instead of being the "Oh No, Not That Guy Again" Caddy Owner.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie55
    I have a 2013 XTS, about 5,000 miles, and have the same problem of a rattle or buzz in the dashboard or behind the CUE screen. We took it to the dealer yesterday, 12/13/13, and the service manager said it was fixed. "The Tech repositioned some of the apparatus and retightened." One mile from the dealer, the rattle, buzz was back. I guess I will take it back for more analysis and fixes. Has anybody discovered the problem and how to fix? Charlie55
    Rattles or squeaks in any modern day car is simply unacceptable ! Cadillac service is outstanding and hopefully they will find where it's coming from and fix.

PS- have you tried narrowing down to the air vents ?

stlxts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Sorry so many have same problem. U now have 15000 miles, 4 or more trips to dealer, dash apart several times, tighten things. All's well until leave the lot to several days. Funny how it's the Rt side for me as well. If I push on the grill over the speaker near the passenger a pillar goes away for a while. Also rattle Rt front passenger seat. Rattles are soft but enough to be irritating. Or side tight, never a noise. I have given up. Uncle. I'll revisit next oil change.

stlxts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Sorry so many have same problem. U now have 15000 miles, 4 or more trips to dealer, dash apart several times, tighten things. All's well until leave the lot to several days. Funny how it's the Rt side for me as well. If I push on the grill over the speaker near the passenger a pillar goes away for a while. Also rattle Rt front passenger seat. Rattles are soft but enough to be irritating. Or side tight, never a noise. I have given up. Uncle. I'll revisit next oil change.

Harrington is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

I posted an issue with a rattle in the dash on an earlier stream. About a week ago, I drove my dealer's tech around in an attempt to isolate the rattle. He said that there was a campaign on a different model that could be producing the issue in the XTS. In that campaign a rattle was could be caused by the vibration, at the right harmonics, from five plastic tabs used to insert the very front piece of the dash. He installed felt tape to each of the tabs while I waited at the dealership. Now I have only been able to put less than 100 miles on the car since the remedy, but it appears as though the fix is in. It made sense as soon as he explained it to me as the rattle could come from a number of locations along the dash. (Five tabs a rattlin) Didn't always occur. (Had to be the right harmonics to vibrate) And I pushed on just about every part of the dash to locate. (Tabs were hidden upfront and pressure probably wouldn't stop the rattle anyways. I'm hopeful this is the fix we've have been looking for. Will keep you posted.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello JDZ25,

I am sorry to hear this issue keeps returning! Please keep us posted on your dealership visit. If further assistance is needed, we are happy to help. Thank you!

Jessica (assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by JDZ25 View Post
    Has anyone discovered the fix to this issue? I have been to the dealer three times already. I was even fortunate enough to have Laura from the Cadillac Customer Care Team call my dealer to help.

Yet, the rattle seems to always return for me. I will go back to my dealer again after the holidays, but I am hoping that I can help them find the solution instead of being the "Oh No, Not That Guy Again" Caddy Owner.

----------

Hi Harrington,

That is great news! I hope this issue has been completely resolved for you. If you continue to experience concerns, please let us know.

Jessica (assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
    I posted an issue with a rattle in the dash on an earlier stream. About a week ago, I drove my dealer's tech around in an attempt to isolate the rattle. He said that there was a campaign on a different model that could be producing the issue in the XTS. In that campaign a rattle was could be caused by the vibration, at the right harmonics, from five plastic tabs used to insert the very front piece of the dash. He installed felt tape to each of the tabs while I waited at the dealership. Now I have only been able to put less than 100 miles on the car since the remedy, but it appears as though the fix is in. It made sense as soon as he explained it to me as the rattle could come from a number of locations along the dash. (Five tabs a rattlin) Didn't always occur. (Had to be the right harmonics to vibrate) And I pushed on just about every part of the dash to locate. (Tabs were hidden upfront and pressure probably wouldn't stop the rattle anyways. I'm hopeful this is the fix we've have been looking for. Will keep you posted.

jock82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by DSNCB919 View Post
    Strange maybe im lucky but my 03 DTS was pure silent until like 140k... yall make me think twice about upgrading
    I drove a 1983 Fleetwood Brougham for 12 years and I was never experienced a rattle one. I have and 89 de Ville, 94 Concours, and 09 DTS so far rattle free, I have driven an XTS and I would hardly call that thing an upgrade.

DSNCB919 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum
    Interior wise it defiantly is an upgrade

vjc
    vjc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sounds familiar, dealer determined my rattle was the overhead console (reading lights, garage door opener etc.). They replaced it and the rattle stopped. Good to go. Good luck. Rattled from day one. They did a good job Lindsay Cadillac va.

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay A View Post
    Took my 2014 XTS with the rattles in to dealer today. They gave me a 2013 XTS loaner ann it rattles worse than mine. I live in Colorado - very dry climate. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. Has anyone experienced this problem. It rattles worse when turning right. Seems to be getting worse. HELP!
    I live in Las Vegas where our average humidity is in the single digits and do not have nor have ever had any rattles in my XTS Platinum (now over one year old and one of the first custom ordered delivered). My point is that I doubt it has anything to do with dry climate.

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

First I want to compliment my dealer, Morries Cadillac in Minneapolis, MN. My XTS has had two instances of rattles and they were able to fix the first problem in one visit and the second rattle problem several months later in two visits. They definitely have techs who know what they are doing and they care about really fixing the problem right.

The first rattle was caused by the defroster grill. The tech insulated it and the rattle went away. This was in March 2013. Then in December when we got hit with day after day of temps at or below zero, (global warming can only help this place) the dash started rattling again. First they thought the problem was in the A pillars so they ordered replacements. I brought the car in Thursday night to pick up the loaner so they could work on it Friday. When they put the replacements in they called and told me that wasn't the problem and they were going to keep the car longer and investigate further. I had a SRX as a loaner so I was fine with that. They removed the upper dash panel and insulated the forward pins and cups (reading this off of the work order). They called me Monday morning and told me the problem was fixed. I picked the car up later that day and the problem was in fact fixed. I was impressed that they kept the car an extra day so it could sit outside in the cold and they tested it to confirm that the rattle was gone. It's now Wednesday, it's still terribly cold and the car has not rattled even once.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

First off Happy New Year to you members. Next, now that the colder weather is here, I noticed a cracking type sound coming from the right
    corner of my dash too. I stuffed that microfiber cloth in the corner of the plastic panel and the pillar. Noise is gone. It must be a common
    problem since a few members have had that defroster vent panel insulated have had the noise eliminated also. Another item to check is that little storage door on the left side of the dash. Mine would rattle when coming to a stop on road imperfections. I took a piece of felt used for the bottom of furniture and stuck it on the left edge of the door that is supposed to come in contact with the rubber stop. Since the edge of
    the door wasn't touching the rubber it would rattle. Funny how noises in cars can transmit to other areas making you look in the wrong area.
    That door rattle made it sound like it was coming from the clear lens on the dash.

5.0 lsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium
    Very interesting. Unfortunately my rattle from the center speaker area started after they replaced the hazard/trac off/lane depart off switch assembly. I also noticed that the center ac vents are not installed correctly behind the metal trim piece. Also I had to have my glovebox release adjusted and when I got it back the lighting strip above it was out. Luckily I was able to look in there and see that when they had re installed the glovebox there was some vinyl edge that hadn't been tucked in correctly and was covering the led pipe. I figured I'll bring it in for the first service and get these items handled. And lastly when my front left window closes it makes a loud banging noise as if it's not raising into the window run correctly. My fear on that is they say my window tint has voided a repair such as that. I do love this car though!

jtawindows is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS 2002

Same problems as all of you with my 2013 XTS.
    I have two rattles.
    One was the switch buttons for the sunroof, I found not them and I hope it is fixed.
    The other they had to take out the entire dash to hopefully fix the problem.
    I also have a new SRS and it is a great car.
    I would not let them try to fix unless it is cold outside since hot days causes expansion and it my not rattle.
    I would also make them test drive on concrete road with expansion joints.

----------

I had the same problem a vjc and they did stop this rattle.
    They hopefully stopped the other one in the dash.
    This involved taking out the entire dash since they could not fix the previous two times.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.