Cadillac Owners Forum banner

XTS TO BE DISCONTINUED!! Production run 2013-14

35K views 103 replies 38 participants last post by  NormV 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

Just left the Caddy dealership were i bought my XTS mainly because i have known the manager who runs the whole dealership for 20years..As a matter of fact he always has a Caddy as a Demo for his personal use and so far Ive driven the XTS VSPORT and the new CTS both great cars but i am afraid for the CTS his demo msrp was 64k hmmmmm i have my concerns..Anyway he began to tell me that they are stopping production of the XTS and that 2013 and 2014 models will be the only years of production for the XTS model to make way for a big flagship Cadillac with a V8 to rival the S-class and 7 series ...He even said its projected to cost between 80 to 100k ....Then he said they only made the XTS because they needed a larger model for the time being to fill in the gap...So a 2 year run for the highly touted flagship XTS anyone else feel weird/awkward about this??

#4 ·
It's a nice car, but hardly a flagship. It looks too much like the Impala at first glance (and the Impala is better looking anyway IMHO). It's too small too, few cylinders, and not exclusive enough. I doubt GM ever meant to leave it as the top of the line Cadillac for long. The new CTS is going to be larger, closer in size to the XTS, and the "real" flagship will come later.

#7 ·
I wonder what Cadillac plans to do with the demographic that wants a large, comfortable car, but doesn't want to spend $80,000-$100,000 for it? I'm all for the top end car, and hope it will be a knockout. However, it would seem to me that fewer people would buy those cars than the former DeVille/DTS/XTS crowd. Does that mean that group is forced down to a more sporty CTS, when they favor large cars? I guess time will tell. I'm betting they keep something in-between the CTS and the new flagship, just because of the numbers.

#8 ·
I hope all the decision makers who were in the old Cadillac management team are gone. Spending millions to develop a gas guzzling V 8 engine in a rear drive platform is economically ludicrous.

Exactly how much more power would one need than that produced by the new V6 Twin Turbo. With the idiots on the highways today, 55 MPH is a dangerous speed. I have never seen as much, blind spot driving, tail gating, and just out and out aggressive driving as I recently saw on a two day interstate trip. Where and how did so many idiots get drivers licenses?

I have driven vehicles with hemi's and cobra engines. The only difference I have found between a vehicle with a high torque V8 and one of the current 300 plus horsepower V6's is that I have to be attentive when driving in hilly terrain, not loaf down hill and then depend on engine horse power and torque to get the vehicle over the next hill.

#21 ·
It's about competition. If they want to compete with the upper level MBs and Bimmers and Porsche, etc. they need it. There is always a race to have the best performance lux car out there. And that means fast and RWD. There are people that have the money who want it.

The only thing that's really holding back the power at this point with cars already hitting 600+ HP is that the tires can't handle it. Some cars are already having the computer limit the power at launch because of that.

At least the manufacturers are having AWD options (based on RWD) for the snowy winter markets.

#9 ·
Hi Tomko,

I live by those rules as well, We all know car salesman can be pretty slimy, But I can assure you he is just not any car salesmen, He has worked his way up the corp ladder and now runs as one of the mangers at Cadillac of Novi, That's in Michigan were they come in either first or second to number of Caddy's sold each year. I have known him for 20 years, He's a family friend and would never make something like that up, When he first told me i thought he was also joking around, Until brad who works in service walked up and confirmed what Kevin was saying, I then went to one of the other Managers and he confirmed the news, Kevin Sage is his name he is kool call him if you don't believe me Cadillac of Novi in Michigan..He has the inside scoop and swore to me that this is GM plan good bye XTS. I am pissed! I wonder what the next Gen would of looked like if this version is already such a a Beast...

----------

I wish it were B.S. I love the car its amazing a bit under powered for its size but its so bossy...I replied to Tomko below check it out..The news came from a friend of mine, I don't know if this is correct for me to do but if you have a moment and don't mind taking a few minutes you can speak with him, He is kool and has been with Cadillac his whole life, he always gets the scoop on things ...Kevin Sage Cadillac of Novi in Michihan..Just tell him Jeff with the black XTS mentioned the above ..that is if you wanted to call and have any questions or concerns answered ..

#10 ·
There is no way GM would let this car only have a 2 year life span after investing milllions on the name and design. Now maybe we may see a 4 or 5 year life span but no way will this car leave in 2 years even more so after they just brought out the new V-sport version. If anything I see the XTS moving over to the new Omega platform after a few years. Cadillac will still need a full size car in-between the CTS and the Flagship that is still in the 50K to 65K range. That's just my opinion but I do think GM may be getting ready to move the XTS to a new Omega platform which could happen maybe by 2016 or 17. I see it like this XTS with a 200 to 203 length with a 115 WB and flagship somewhere around 205 to 208 with a 120 WB. Again all just my opinions and what I think the future may hold for Cadillac. We shall see. :) Either way I have never been a fan of the XTS so I will be waiting like everyone else in terms of the new flagship.

#13 ·
I guess we'll all have to wait and see when the time for the new 2015's come out, as to whether this is true or not. If it is true, then I can fully understand why GM went bankrupt. Investing tremendous amounts of time and money on a vehicle that has a short two year live span is nothing short of ridiculous.:bigroll:

Also, getting rid of a vehicle when they are finally starting to make the vehicle appeal to more people, by introducing the 2014 XTS V-Sport. I think this car will have a greater following if they give it some time. However, this is GM we are talking about, so they will most likely get rid of a perfectly good car.

#19 ·
The tooling for this car didn't cost as much as you would think. It shares it basic chassis and engine/transmission with the LaCrosse and the Impala. That alone saves a tremendous amount of money. The roofline also shares a bit of LaCrosse in the A-pillar. The interior would be the only real area where the money was spent and I'm sure with all the costs they will break even pretty soon.

----------

The XTS is not going away after two model years. The so called flagship will not be out until at least the 2017 model year.
I've heard it will be introduced in 2015 as a '16 model but don't quote me on that. There are test mules already running around Detroit.

#15 ·
I hope that they don't get rid of it, because it would fit in the level between the CTS and the new "flagship". The XTS is the only traditional Cadillac in the line-up that is based more on comfort than sport. I believe that to appeal to a wider demographic, they need to have this car remain permanently, rather than totally shunning the people who have been devout customers of the brand for years.

#18 ·
DTS man33 said:
There is no way GM would let this car only have a 2 year life span after investing milllions on the name and design. Now maybe we may see a 4 or 5 year life span but no way will this car leave in 2 years even more so after they just brought out the new V-sport version. If anything I see the XTS moving over to the new Omega platform after a few years. Cadillac will still need a full size car in-between the CTS and the Flagship that is still in the 50K to 65K range. That's just my opinion but I do think GM may be getting ready to move the XTS to a new Omega platform which could happen maybe by 2016 or 17. I see it like this XTS with a 200 to 203 length with a 115 WB and flagship somewhere around 205 to 208 with a 120 WB. Again all just my opinions and what I think the future may hold for Cadillac. We shall see. :) Either way I have never been a fan of the XTS so I will be waiting like everyone else in terms of the new flagship.
The new CTS is going to be in the $50k-$60k price range.

#22 ·
That is incorrect my friend... the day I posted this thread I drove the new cts all day while my XTS was in service only because the manager who I'm close with drives one as a demo.. and I looked at the sticker the msrp was 64,875 ..it was pretty loaded but not fully loaded, As I drove it didn't feel like a 65K car to me, it's basically the same on the inside as the XTS.. it has like medal bottoms in the cup holders and few others things..how can the cts coat more then my XTS and have more horsepower then my XTS think his Demo had like 320 or 330hp not sure just doesn't add up to me..I will say the daytime running lights crush the ones on XTS.. the cts lights go further up the fender and are brighter with like little dots instead of one strip there sick..

#23 ·
gohawks63 said:
Not surprised and it's been kind of common knowledge that the XTS was a stop gap to replace the DTS until a proper flagship was developed.
Agree. No doubt the new top of line Caddy is coming and the current XTS as we know it will be gone BUT don't rule out the name as Cadillac may in fact still call the new flagship X TS ....

With that said I still think it is three years away. I would also vote to keep the XTS name as it sounds pretty cool :)

#24 ·
musvlehead said:
That is incorrect my friend... the day I posted this thread I drove the new cts all day while my XTS was in service only because the manager who I'm close with drives one as a demo.. and I looked at the sticker the msrp was 64,875 ..it was pretty loaded but not fully loaded, As I drove it didn't feel like a 65K car to me, it's basically the same on the inside as the XTS.. it has like medal bottoms in the cup holders and few others things..how can the cts coat more then my XTS and have more horsepower then my XTS think his Demo had like 320 or 330hp not sure just doesn't add up to me..I will say the daytime running lights crush the ones on XTS.. the cts lights go further up the fender and are brighter with like little dots instead of one strip there sick..
I guess I should have been more specific. You're right in that you can spec a CTS in the mid to upper $60K range.

What I was trying to point out (poorly I might add) is that the CTS now is either in the same price range or higher than an XTS now. They overlap in price.

They only differ in the type of vehicle they are.

XTS = more dialed towards luxury than sport with a FWD platform.
CTS = RWD platform dialed more towards sport

The XTS does have the advantage of getting V-Sport in AWD trim that you cannot get in the CTS, albeit with less power.

----------

Having said that, not sure why the CTS V-Sport is not available in AWD. There is only a 10 hp difference between the XTS V-sport and the CTS V-Sport.

#25 ·
The XTS does have the advantage of getting V-Sport in AWD trim that you cannot get in the CTS, albeit with less power.

----------

Having said that, not sure why the CTS V-Sport is not available in AWD. There is only a 10 hp difference between the XTS V-sport and the CTS V-Sport.
I believe it was mentioned that the CTS V-Sport was going to be offered with an 8-speed automatic that doesn't have AWD capabilities, and the AWD 6-speed automatic didn't have the ability to handle the 430lb/ft of torque. The XTS V-Sport had to have AWD rather than FWD in order to put the power to the ground, but the AWD 6-speed automatic was limited in how much torque it could handle. Thus, they dialed back the power to reduce the amount of torque for reliability and longevity.

#30 ·
I inquired with my favorite Cadillac dealer/salesman about this. He said that yes there will be a new flagship to compete wtih the S class, but there are no plans to discontinue the XTS as it's there to fill the need for the former DTS croud and the new flagship will be at a much higher price point. I was kinda suprised when I read this thread, as the car is just coming into the 2nd year of production with some really good needed upgrades and is getting good review. Don't know how well it's selling though, as I see a lot of XTS-V Sports online sitting on dealer lots for 60+ days.

#31 ·
I will bet that the new Cadillac flagship will debut in 2015 possibly as a 2016 and it will be the all new rear wheel drive S class / 7 Series fighter that will still be called XTS !! There is NO way Cadillac will have ATS- CTS- XTS - ?TS. The matchup is set. And remember the original SRX ? They totally redid the car on a completely different platform but still called it SRX.

So, IMHO XTS will be the new flagship and will be stunning :)

G
#32 ·
I will bet that the new Cadillac flagship will debut in 2015 possibly as a 2016
That is basically what has already been said by heads of GM in the press and considering there has already been test mule sitings GM is farther along then some people think.
I watched a video interview with my b.f. that had Ed Welburn in it where he even stated the Elmiraj was production ready even as a possible 4 door down to the smaller sized pillars which were actual engineering and production advancements for future vehicles that met all crash standards ect..

#33 ·
As long as the Xts continues sell it won't be discontinues.

It's a great product that meets the needs of many consumers.

Not every car Cadillac makes has to be European inspired. There is clearly a place for an American luxury sedan like the XTS.

Sale personnel at that dealership knows very little.

#35 ·
Well said and usually the case but nothing is written in stone. I'm from Detroit were the decisions are handed down and my dealership is either number 1or2 in relation with vehicles sild each year, The salesman/manager/friend of mine for 20years is a stand up guy and personally knows a few executives who work downtown at the GM Corp building, They visit his dealership from time to time as well. He assured me that the decision has been made and a large V8 is around the corner. It kinda makes sense if there gunning for BMW 3 Series=ATS 5 series=CTS and 7 series=the new rear wheel drive V8..This must be done if Cadillac is to be taken seriously as well as respected if they want to compete in the global matket..Where the XTS stands is the question, I mean I want it to be a rumor I absolutely love the car. I guess time will tell and we will all just have to wait and see what happens.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.