XTS Electonics vs. other vehicles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS Electonics vs. other vehicles in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Is a Cadillac owner who is willing to spend $50K plus for a vehicle that is built on a similar ...
    Phil E. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

XTS Electonics vs. other vehicles

Is a Cadillac owner who is willing to spend $50K plus for a vehicle that is built on a similar platform as other GM vehicles (Buick, Chevy) expecting too much if they are expecting that the OnStar and Bluetooth audio quality should match that of other GM vehicles that cost 20K less? Cadillac does.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tzydzy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: XTS Electonics vs. other vehicles

Keep in mind that using Bluetooth will seriously degrade audio quality if you are using it as a means to stream music from a device to the car stereo. It is a lossy codec which uses data reduction. If you listen to MP3s, another lossy codec, you will get really bad music compared to listening to a compact disc, without regard to the cost of the car.

RockvilleXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum

Question. It seems to me that sound quality in my XTS is better using Bluetooth than the direct USB hookup. I'm a classical musician, so I believe my ear is sufficiently trained to discern the difference. Why is this the case? It's especially unfortunate, given that the Pandora app only works on the USB hookup on iPhones. Just curious.

Sorry - should have given more info. This is all related to the bluetooth microphone that is used with bluetooth and onstar. The dealer kept my dads XTS for 3 weeks and wound up putting some additional insulation around the exhaust where the sunroof drains are. I think that they also decreased the sensitivity on the mic as the audio is now low when you are not moving at all. He has all the updates done and also got a new mic installed. The system is still unusable depending on road and vehicle speed. GM has apparently instructed this particular dealer not to work on this anymore so he is going to another dealer. The demo they gave him was bad also and the tech said a lot of cars on the lot were also. Does it say anywhere in the manual that you should not be able to use Onstar or bluetooth phone calls while moving? He has over 10 calls recorded with onstar where they tell him to roll up the windows, move to the front seat, or please try and call back with better reception. Same problem with his phone and bluetooth. GM says that this is normally operation of the hands free.

Anyone else with this issue? Were you able to get something resolved? What is the fix? I know GM has some bluetooth equipped vehicles that sound good so they are capable of quality.

keepupp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS V-Sport

I recently picked up a 2014 XTS Vsport and callers notice a significant decrease in audio quality vs my 2011 CTSV. I have been told to roll up the windows the audio was so bad.....the windows were already up.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E. View Post
    Sorry - should have given more info. This is all related to the bluetooth microphone that is used with bluetooth and onstar. The dealer kept my dads XTS for 3 weeks and wound up putting some additional insulation around the exhaust where the sunroof drains are. I think that they also decreased the sensitivity on the mic as the audio is now low when you are not moving at all. He has all the updates done and also got a new mic installed. The system is still unusable depending on road and vehicle speed. GM has apparently instructed this particular dealer not to work on this anymore so he is going to another dealer. The demo they gave him was bad also and the tech said a lot of cars on the lot were also. Does it say anywhere in the manual that you should not be able to use Onstar or bluetooth phone calls while moving? He has over 10 calls recorded with onstar where they tell him to roll up the windows, move to the front seat, or please try and call back with better reception. Same problem with his phone and bluetooth. GM says that this is normally operation of the hands free.

Anyone else with this issue? Were you able to get something resolved? What is the fix? I know GM has some bluetooth equipped vehicles that sound good so they are capable of quality.
    Hello Phil E.,

I apologize that your father has been experiencing issues with the XTS’ Bluetooth and audio quality. Have you spoken to our Customer Care team regarding this concern yet? If you have, could you provide me with your VIN and case number so I could look into this situation for you? You can reach out to me via private message, or by email at socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as “ATTN GREG”. If you have not spoken to our Customer Care team yet, I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealerships you have been working with. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by keepupp View Post
    I recently picked up a 2014 XTS Vsport and callers notice a significant decrease in audio quality vs my 2011 CTSV. I have been told to roll up the windows the audio was so bad.....the windows were already up.
    Hello keepupp,

I am sorry to hear that you are noticing a decrease in audio quality in your XTS Vsport. Have you brought this concern up to your dealership as well? If you would like to further discuss this concern, please feel free to reach out to me via private message.

Regards,

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I am sending my dad your email. He will gladly forward you this information.

Phil

----------

keepup,

Please continue to post on this thread about what the dealer is doing to get this resolved. I know that there must be a lot of people with this problem. The demo car the dealership gave my dad for 3 weeks had the problem and a service adviser from Massey Cadillac in Dallas said they experienced this with many new cars on the lots. Cadillac and Gm's answer to this problem so far has been that the system is working as designed. GM told Massey to quit working on this problem so my dad is moving on to another dealer for help. I find it hard to believe that when 9/10 calls to either Onstar or through bluetooth result in the receiver of the call telling you to roll up your windows, move to the front seat, or call back - I can't understand you - that the system is working as designed.

Phil

Lizbill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTR White Diamond coat; 2000 DeVille. Sterling Silver.

Strange. Even though CUE may have been designed by those folks that designed Obamas UNaffordable Health Care web site, mine has been trouble free after one or two glitches. I am very satisfied with the system, so far. We will see what the future brings.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E. View Post
    Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I am sending my dad your email. He will gladly forward you this information.

Phil
    Hello Phil,

I just wanted to let you know that I did receive your father’s email and I responded to him. Thank you very much for taking the time to forward that information to him.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

So what updates, if any?

The car was taken to another dealership and they had it for several hours. They removed the headliner to get to the microphone and said that there was a lot of insulation material missing so they replaced it. They took a new XTS off the lot and removed the headliner in it to make sure that they had it installed like the factory. I think that this made a very slight improvement when the car is in motion. The demo they gave my dad had no sunroof and it sounded almost as bad as his car so I do not think that this is an isolated problem with his car. He is still in contact with Cadillac. He is getting calls from the dealership service rating place asking him if he can give 100% satisfaction on the repairs. What a joke.

I think that the real question here is do we really have an isolated problem with the 2 or 3 cars that he has driven or do most cadillac owners not use the bluetooth. Maybe most Cadillac owners have never received a call from someone in a Cadillac to know how bad it really sounds. It is not his phone as he has a dozen or so calls with Onstar where they tell him they can not hear or to roll up windows. If you are not moving the audio to the receiver of the call actually sounds pretty clear.

Maybe this is a Cadillac safety feature that is not in the manual. If you need to make phone call through Bluetooth or to Onstar please pull over and come to a complete stop so that you can be understood.

There are some people involved with Onstar and Cadillac that are really making an effort to find out what is going on. This is just one of those problems that you have to experience to fully appreciate the issue and see the problem.

I will continue to update if anything is done to improve this issue.

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Rockville, I can tell your that things have changed significantly post IOS7 and the release of the 5s. I was an avid Pandora user on my iPhone 5. Yes, you had to cable it up, which to me is quite a pain and technologically backwards, however I did it. With IOS7 and the 5s (I cannot tell you which it is or a combination of the two), cabling the device no longer works for Pandora and neither does bluetooth. In fact, any other audio that used to send through the cable, now only sends through bluetooth audio. Now, I am not complaining, because in my opinion, this is how it should work in the first place. The issue is, that this change has, at lease in my case, disabled my ability to use the QUE Pandora app. In fact, i no longer cable the device at all as it causes major bluetooth audio schizophrenia with all my other audio sources.

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

FWIW IOS7 has been a let down of epic proportions.

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

honestly, i do not fault the OS. In my opinion (notice i said my opinion), GM should be on top of these changes. They get pre-release software just like every other developer. We are now 2 months post release, no excuse for at least an explanation of the issue or that they are working on a fix or a potential work around.

RockvilleXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum

I just wonder if GM is going to get the software compatibility thing right. I know it is a huge thing to update CUE, so I'm sure it takes time, but car owners who are used to using modern devices are going to expect quicker updates, documentation, and compatibility that will last beyond one model year. These infotainment systems are new, so it might take some time to implement a faster development cycle, but I hope they look to the big software companies for some guidance. I'm one of the people who really likes CUE, so I'm hoping that my 2013 XTS will have updates for at least a couple of years before it's end-of-life time and I'm stuck unless I buy a new car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.