New Air Conditioning System on XTS (R1234yf Refrigerant) and MPG
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, New Air Conditioning System on XTS (R1234yf Refrigerant) and MPG in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You might not be aware that a new refrigerant for car air conditioners has been adopted by GM and is ...
    RBFitz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2103 XTS Premium

New Air Conditioning System on XTS (R1234yf Refrigerant) and MPG

You might not be aware that a new refrigerant for car air conditioners has been adopted by GM and is first appearing in the 2013 XTS.

While much has been made recently of the flammability characteristics of this refrigerant, my post here is to get some feedback on actual system performance in particular with respect to engine performance and impact on MPG.

My friends find it peculiar that I have no trouble spending say $60K on a car but I'm otherwise so cheap that I avoid running the air conditioner as much as possible as a way to save a few MPG. I justify this as I don't mind spending more money on things I want to spend more on, but fuel is not one to them.

I've done this for many years as I used to track MPG and my driving habits are biased towards minimizing fuel use (yet I prefer the largest Caddilac sedan -- I know!)

Anyway, in EVERY other car I have owned (most recently, a 2010 Buick Lacrosse 3.0), when cruising with the air off, when I turn it on and the compressor engages, there is often some version of a clunking noise and I can feel a slight reduction in forward acceleration from the engine. And then, of course, there is the deterioration in "instant fuel economy" that shows up as well, confirming the extra drag on the engine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this new system on the XTS is the "free lunch" AC system I've been looking for. I don't notice any change in engine power when turning the AC on or off and the instant fuel economy is nothing short of impressicve with the AC on.

Is anyone else having is experience? Was this designed into the system? I've seen nothing touting the fuel economy characteristics of this system stated anywhere.

Thanks for any feedback -- Ron

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Re: New Air Conditioning System on XTS (R1234yf Refrigerant) and MPG

Maybe that's why so many of us are raving about the 29.5 mpg that we are getting on the highway? I'm also happy about the 18.3 in the city too. This car seems to be much more efficient than the 3.6 I had in my 07 STS. Could you have a point? I don't know.

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Hi Ron, I do not notice when the AC cuts in or out in terms of engine drag at all on SilverFox (Platinum).

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Clutchless variable-capacity type compressor ?

Clutchless Compact Variable Compressor Saves Space and Energy
    "Delphi's clutchless CVC compressor helps deliver maximum passenger comfort with quiet operation, a key selling point for consumers. It also improves fuel economy which translates into bottom-line savings for drivers at the pump."
    http://www.autospectator.com/cars/au...lkswagen-group

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.