Driving in Sport mode (not in the Owners manual)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vel7wil
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Driving in Sport mode (not in the Owners manual) in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This is something I accidentally discovered while the vehicle is in motion moving the transmission selector from Drive to Manual ...
    Rmbrunswick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Driving in Sport mode (not in the Owners manual)

This is something I accidentally discovered while the vehicle is in motion moving the transmission selector from Drive to Manual improves the driving performance of the XTS. Acceleration is enhanced dramatically allowing the vehicle to hold onto a gear until you reach the rev limiter or let up on the accelerator thus allowing the transmission to shift up to the next gear. Suspension and steering tightens up which improves performance dynamics. I also believe that this may disengage traction control. Pedal to the metal from a stop sign will break the front tires loose so be careful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Re: Driving in Sport mode (not in the Owners manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Rmbrunswick View Post
    This is something I accidentally discovered while the vehicle is in motion moving the transmission selector from Drive to Manual improves the driving performance of the XTS. Acceleration is enhanced dramatically allowing the vehicle to hold onto a gear until you reach the rev limiter or let up on the accelerator thus allowing the transmission to shift up to the next gear. Suspension and steering tightens up which improves performance dynamics. I also believe that this may disengage traction control. Pedal to the metal from a stop sign will break the front tires loose so be careful.
    Glad you discovered Sport Mode. It is really quite a different driving experience as I have noted in some of my posts. However I am pretty sure it does not disengage traction control, though it may impact how it interacts as Sports setting does change fuel management, transmission shifts, mag settings, etc.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmbrunswick
    It may be different on the XTS but on the CTS you press the Stability Control button once to disengage TC. Press again to enter "Competitive Mode" which really loosens the nannies and firms up the steering.

It also has sport mode that works as described above.

Like I said the XTS is probably different since it has MRC that the CTS (non-V) does not.

Stoofpilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Platinum XTS

Read the manual. Clearly your salesman did not do his job if he did not tell you about what M was all about.

Lightbulb Re: Driving in Sport mode (not in the Owners manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoofpilot View Post
    Read the manual. Clearly your salesman did not do his job if he did not tell you about what M was all about.
    While I agree in theory with your advice and the comment on the salesperson, I can certainly understand someone not reading the manual and possibly forgetting some of what the salesperson does when they overwhelm you with your new car presentation. I am a serious car enthusiast and while I usually read the respective Owner's manual (typically as a pdf) and study related forums once I order one and before I actually get my new cars, many of my friends never crack open an Owner's Manual and basically expect that since they have driven before, they will figure it out. If not, they will ask or in some cases, stumble into discovering something they did not know about their new car. One of the great things about forums like this is individuals can quickly learn about their car and or ask clarifying questions when they are ready.

Jim Shearer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I too am a nerd that reads the manual from cover to cover. I flip quickly through the pages that tell me how to hook the seat belt, etc. but do read everything else. The day I ordered my 2014 XTS I downloaded the Owner's Manual and CUE Manual. I did the same thing when I ordered my 2010 Corvette ZR1. It never ceases to amaze me the functions I know that other owners are surprised to find out about.

JSenecal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I downloaded the owners manual for every car I'm interested in and have read all of them cover to cover. I learned a lot of details that way, little things that are better on one car than another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
    I too am a nerd that reads the manual from cover to cover. I flip quickly through the pages that tell me how to hook the seat belt, etc. but do read everything else. The day I ordered my 2014 XTS I downloaded the Owner's Manual and CUE Manual. I did the same thing when I ordered my 2010 Corvette ZR1. It never ceases to amaze me the functions I know that other owners are surprised to find out about.
    I am doing that right now with the 2014 C7 Corvette manual, due to be built the beginning of October.

rclong is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac XTS4 2013

In regard to manuals I hole heartedly agree. I confession to not reading it first but the first night home, the wife leaves me setting in my chair and reading my manual. I will get up go out to the car and try something I read. I am a very firm believer in RTFM. It will solve a multitude of problems/questions. Before some one asks, when I am asked how something works that my friends have bought, I always ask if they have RTFM. That's short for Read The F(censored) Manual. I know it is crude but it will answer 80-90 percent of the questions. I just wish they would break it up into what your vehicle can do and the part that has to be there to keep from being sued.

vel7wil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium Black Diamond - 2011 CTS Luxury Black Raven

Glad to see I'm not the only anal retentive consumer. when I first got my XTS I had to take a week off just to sit out in the garage to play with and get used to all the features of the car. usually 3 or 4 different ones a day. 1st day was spent just programming everything.
    LOCK_DOWN likes this.

Cadillac89Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE
    You change it through the settings on the CUE system on the gauge cluster. You go into the settings on the screen of the gauge cluster(regardless whether or not you have the reconfigurable gauges) and go into driving mode. Use the controls of the steering wheel. Be comfortable to explore your car tho.. Cadillac settings are pretty simple and very enjoyable to use.

Zl700 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS-Vsport
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac89Vette
    You change it through the settings on the CUE system on the gauge cluster. You go into the settings on the screen of the gauge cluster(regardless whether or not you have the reconfigurable gauges) and go into driving mode. Use the controls of the steering wheel. Be comfortable to explore your car tho.. Cadillac settings are pretty simple and very enjoyable to use.
    Exactly what part of the sport mode settings are changeable through the CUE? XTS sport mode is engaged with the shifter.

Roxor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 XTS Vsport Platinum BDT/Ebony

I love Sport/Manual mode; the lower mpg not so much.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.