XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a new 2013 xts platinum (4 days old). I noticed that at the intersection of the polished inserts ...
    another_lap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 xts platinum

Unhappy XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem

I have a new 2013 xts platinum (4 days old). I noticed that at the intersection of the polished inserts and rim (tire side of the insert) there is corrision or etching on the aluminum rim. this shows up on all four wheels and most inserts. The corrosion appears as a thin white lines of erosion of the top layer of coating thru to the aluminum. Then I went back to the dealer and saw the same thing on most other xts platinums that have been on the lot 4+ months. This does not polish off. Do others see this on their platinum wheels? Any ideas short of going to the dealer as a warranty issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem

What did the dealer say? I haven't seen this on our stock inventory...

They said it has to do with our wet humid climate (Houston) and that it is common. Seems to be some metallurgical reaction between the material of the rim and that of the insert. It shows up only in the vicinity of the insert, but looks terrible. Get close to the wheel and look very carefully. They are curving thin white lines on the aluminum rim originating at the base of the insert.

They started talking about refinishing the rim, but that sounds like a poor solution on a brand new car. I saw this on ten other platinums. Anyone have any experience with GM on this?

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by another_lap View Post
    They said it has to do with our wet humid climate (Houston) and that it is common. Seems to be some metallurgical reaction between the material of the rim and that of the insert. It shows up only in the vicinity of the insert, but looks terrible. Get close to the wheel and look very carefully. They are curving thin white lines on the aluminum rim originating at the base of the insert.

They started talking about refinishing the rim, but that sounds like a poor solution on a brand new car. I saw this on ten other platinums. Anyone have any experience with GM on this?
    Can you post a picture that shows it? I just went out and looked at SilverFox, a Platinum that is a year old. I looked very closely and used a super bright led shop light and could not see what you are referring to around the inserts. [I did notice a few areas I missed during my last cleaning ] Since it was on all of their cars, is there any possibility that the marks you are seeing were caused by how the dealer washed the wheels and the solution they used?

OK I will post picture soon. BTW I have been to two dealers and saw exact same thing at both on total of ten cars.

OK I will post picture soon. BTW I have been to two dealers and saw exact same thing at both on total of ten cars.

attached is the photo of the problem. this is at the base of one insert. This appears on numerous inserts.

btw, i have seen this on ten cars now at two dealerships. it seems to show up on cars that were on the lot 4+ months. Mine was on the lot for 7 months.

the white lines are a small grove that extends through the finish down and into the top of the aluminum. It cannot be polished off.

Does anyone have this problem, and have any experience with dealer or GM response to resolve it?
    Attached Images

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

May be when they install plastic chrome inserts they mar or scratch clear coat which lets moisture get under clear coat. If you can't feel them that could be what is happening.

I can feel them. It is a subtle groove. A finger nail can "catch" in it.

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

I bet that's pretty noticeable and ruins look of the wheel hope you get this resolved.
    I can feel them. It is a subtle groove. A finger nail can "catch" in it.

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Thanks for posting. That is unfortunate. I definitely do not have anything like that on my wheels. Hopefully they can find a good fix that resolves the problem on your XTS.

this AM I went to a third dealer and within one minute found 4 out of 5 platinums with this problem. that makes 14 out of 16 cars at three dealers in a couple days. Really none of you see this problem? that is starting to seem to me to be statistically unlikely.

I am pushing this because the best way we can find a reasonable solution to this is if customers in mass start complaining to dealers and gm. My dealers notion of dismantling the wheel and refinishing it, with who knows what kind of result does not seem reasonable to me.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I would suggest that you contact Customer Care and see if they can convince your dealer that refinishing the wheel is not the way to go.

Seems to me you should be able to get new wheels under the B2B warranty
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

this AM I went to a third dealer and within one minute found 4 out of 5 platinums with this problem. that makes 14 out of 16 cars at three dealers in a couple days. Really none of you see this problem? that is starting to seem to me to be statistically unlikely.

I am pushing this because the best way we can find a reasonable solution to this is if customers in mass start complaining to dealers and gm. My dealers notion of dismantling the wheel and refinishing it, with who knows what kind of result does not seem reasonable to me.
    Hello another_lap,

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with fixing your vehicle. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please private message me with a brief explanation of your situation, your contact information, VIN, mileage and dealership name and location? I look forward to hearing from you and assisting you throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

cadillacricket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Reporting in from our dealership, I have confirmed that the one platinum I sold last year has absolutely no signs of corrosion on the wheels whatsoever.. I know this doesn't help you, but I thought I'd mention it. Sorry to hear that the climate down there is (apparently) ruining these rims?!? I'd say to definitely contact Cadillac Customer care and explain the situation....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.